Suppose for a moment that....

NEB

Suppose for a moment that say Bach or Mozart (particularly Mozart I suppose) Had been Born around say 1955 ish? or 1950 ish? And let's suppose they had talent equal in every way to that they posessed in their own time.

Where might they have worked, What kind of music might they have penned?

It's an interesting through isn't it?

Independant perhaps? films perhaps? stage/theatre maybe? Or the Rock filed like say Queen for example?

marval

Now there's a thought, I suppose a lot of music is related to what is going on in the world at the time. Could be that they would be up with the groups of today. Interesting thought, all the young listening to Mozart on their ipods. It would make for some interesting film music, Bach competing with John Williams. Would they be classed as classical or pop? I can just imagine it Mahler as the latest heavy metal act.

Definately one for my little gray cells to ponder over.

Margaret

NEB

Actually - yeah - I can see that in Mahler - deffinitely. His music is really sooo dark a lot of the time. That third symphony for example. Prince of Darkness? Ozzy Osborne? - Naaaaah maybe not...

marval

Well maybe not, Beethoven could be a heavy metal man. Unfortuntely due to his deafness, he could compose very loud music, just for the heavy metal/rock fans. Mind you Ode to metal doesn't quite have the same ring as Ode to joy.

I wonder what the classical composers would think if they came back, and heard modern music.

Margaret

NEB

Air on a G string - Happiness is a Cigar called Hamlet - remember those ads?

I think they might already be turning in their graves without inflicting that on them as well.

marval

Yes I remember the Hamlet advert, and many others using classical music. I am sure that they will be turning in their graves, listening to how their music has been hi-jacked. All in the name of advertising.

Margaret

NEB

WEll Rachmaninoff would of course be writing music for romantic films - oooh he already did. Trevor howard and Celia Johnson played the starring roles didn't they along with a steam train?

marval

They did, but this union with Rachmanoff and a steam train, was only a Brief encounter.

Margaret

NEB

It's got to be one of the most self indulgent musical scores ever written. I like the bit at the end in the armchairs when he welcomes her back from having been a long way away.

C'mon - he must know something........

C5Says

Maybe an electric guitarist...I've seen electric guitarists that played Bach's Air and Tocatta and Vivaldi's Four Seasons... ;)

Have you seen Maksim?