Thoughts on Life

teddy

Duckmeister
Why do we seem to have such gutless police who arrest certain people for alledged crimes committed forty years ago but just politely warn knife carrying thugs? Answers on a postcard please.

teddy

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
You should be very careful when judging past actions by applying to days values

John Watt

What new values can you consider as today's, the third millennium, values?

Fear, as in the American anthrax scare, where a nation taped windows and doors,
with all the media fanning flames of middle east terror attacks,
when, again, it was American military personnel spreading it around?
Fear, as in middle east people watching an American drone circling overhead for days,
before it drops it bomb on them?

Liking, as in what you like to see and hear because you own your digital technology?
Hating, as in not liking what you see and hear on the technology you own?

Soul-sickness, as in not connecting with any spiritual connection or belief,
an emptiness that allows every physical abuse and substance abuse, now global?

Despair, as in seeing our world as killing off species, polluting our global environment,
when you can't do anything about it and if you try you become a military and corporate target?

Frustration, as in musicians and artists not finding careers because of social indifference,
a society of residential consumers who can't afford to maintain the lifestyle they were born into?

Manic psychosis, agitations and and high anxieties over mass murders in schools, churches, parking lots,
where attackers are local citizens and media use religious names and words to cover social depravities?

Last edited:

JHC

What new values can you consider as today's, the third millennium, values?

Well just for a starter I have just read in our national rag that a female teacher has been suspended and is to face court action brought about by a parent/parents for taking physical action against her child and other pupils in the form of "tapping hands with a ruller, removing a pupil from class by gripping the ear and shouting at one pupil who refused to do as told, now go back say 60 years and this sort of thing was the mild side of normal I received my fair share as I was always anti authority ( I have adjusted a bit) but what message does this send to children??? who will soon be in the adult world.

teddy

Duckmeister
The message it sends is - do whatever you like. No one has any power to stop you. Wonderful. And they wonder why there are so many delinquents around.

teddy

Dorsetmike

Detentions never worked, the cane or strap worked to a certain extent. I recall one teacher rapping knuckles for getting low marks on spelling tests! Bullies will only pay attention to someone who can deliver them more pain.

ASBOs will never work either, they get treated as a medal among yobs - bring back the birch and the cat, very few - if any - came back for seconds!

Detention camps might work, prisons now are too soft, strict discipline backed up by physical punishment, hard physical work, no entertainment - including no alcohol, drugs or tobacco products, plenty of exercise, including forced marches with heavy packs. Like a much intensified basic armed forces boot camp without the weaponry.

Conscription was for most a good thing, in the present day not needed much in terms of armed forces, but a similar regime for one or two years for everybody at say age 17 or 18 could be very beneficial , replacing the armed forces content with some form of community service.

JHC

What on earth is ASBOs Mike The cane worked for me 3 on each hand at assembly I made sure that would not happen again “a lesson learned the hard way”

We have seen the ongoing saga with TV personalities e.g. Coro St, so is it now OK to go back and bring charges against teachers of 40-60 tears ago for punishing children in a way that would be unacceptable today, also remember the young girls that used to flock around music groups in the 50s - 60s shall we open the book on that lot and don’t forget the Crusades eh make the Saracens bow down to Christianity and anyone else that gets in the way, 500 years of religious mayhem no wonder the west is hated but the mistake that the Muslim ideologists and others make is that they live the past and not the present, so if by any chance I have gone too far I have no doubt that the mods will edit my post as is their right.

Dorsetmike

ASBO, = Anti Social Behaviour Order

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-social_behaviour_order

a Judicial "slap on the wrists" for those continually looking to cause annoyance and aggravation, often teenagers who harrass the neighbourhood such that normal law abiding citizens, especially the older and disabled, become afraid of going out; mugging people, cruelty to cats and dogs, damage to property - knocking down fences, breaking windows, slashing tyres, breaking off wing mirrors, scratching cars - they'll walk down a street, drunk, at night, with a sharp object and scrape it along the sides of every parked car.

The ASBO will usually prohibit the offender from certain places, and other restrictions. So they just go and cause mayhem somewhere else.

JHC

The ASBO will usually prohibit the offender from certain places, and other restrictions. So they just go and cause mayhem somewhere else.
It will never work! what is the matter with our so called leaders ? a swift kick up the jacksy or a slap usually did the trick with children.

teddy

Duckmeister
Borstal was quite effective. A combination of disipline similar to military traing, combined with an effort to educate. Very strict control over what could be done including a prison uniform. To hard for todays criminals. They have HUMAN RIGHT. Unlike the rest of us.

teddy

JHC

Our prisons allow cell phones and computers add to that free board and lodgings and they have it made,

teddy

Duckmeister
So do ours. Add plentyful sex and drugs to that list. Plus the prisoners must be addressed respectfully..... after all, they have human rights.....unlike us.

teddy

JHC

I believe it costs NZ$30,000/year to keep one prisoner ??? I am sure if I was in charge I could arrange things so that each prisoner produced that much for the state not too hard eh.

teddy

Duckmeister
Or just take a leaf out of Sherrif Joe Arpaios book. He seems to have got it right. I would vote for him any time

teddy

JHC

Do you get those annoying phone calls just when you sit down to lunch or some other inconvenient time, here is a good way to deal with them

[video=youtube;ROHK0aTkCsY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ROHK0aTkCsY  [/video]