Time Horizon

Prog Head

Attention die-hard symphonic prog rock lovers!!! ;)

TIME HORIZON have just released their debut album. This American group learnt great lessons from the giants, and is able to write a gorgeous music - full of freshness and sinceity. The content can be described as something of a mix between prime-time Kansas, ELP, Yes, Genesis - with modern contemporaries being bands such like Spock's Beard (at their most melodic side), Cryptic Vision, Mars Hollow. All in all, a fabulous album which I have been playing constantly for the last two days - and it will be taking its highest place amongst my favourite CD's in 2011. :cool:
If you appreciate stupendous progressive music, now you really should give this 'Living Water' a listen... :)

http://www.timehorizonmusic.com/about.html

Time Horizon.jpg

Prog Head

Ever so often, seemingly out of nowhere, a new album crops up and put on the spot to keep my finger stabbing at the repeat button. Perfectly played and arranged with sterling performances by all four musicians, intelligently written and diverse, with interesting arrangements and powerful vocals, Time Horizon have created a sympho-progressive gem that deserves to be heard all around the world. Everything on here comes across like a whole-hearted attempt at a vintage sound that was present in renowned bands Time Horizon cite like their influences during the halcyon days of the 70’s. The music on CD ‘Living Water’ develops gradually, giving each idea enough time to truly sink into our mind. :cool:

My highest praise for this masterful blend of complexity and melody!

Prog Head

From Strutter webzine.

"Now this surely is a very exciting and impressive debut album of the Californian band TIME HORIZON that by some might be ranked next to NEAL MORE, TRANSATLANTIC, ENCHANT, CAIRO, ICE AGE and SPOCK’S BEARD, as it has a lot in common with typical American Progrock, but if you listen a little more closely it is like: “Wow, this is pure STYXish Pomprock as if we have stepped into a time machine back to the year 1977!”... This is really the American way of 1970s British sympho/progrock, so much more melodic and hookladen driven and with that JOURNEY/STYX/BOSTON AORish approach during the catchy choruses and the precise guitarwork. Quite sensational stuff actually, sounding very bombastic and in a pure late 70s/early 80s style, with melodies in each corner of every included song! Remarkable that so less about them has been said in 2011, as this is definitely high quality stuff that should please any AOR and Progfan out there, but also any real music fan will appreciate such high profile music... Like already mentioned there are also a lot of Progrock moments and the bands’ diversity is also hearable in a couple of instrumental tracks that even recall memories of TANGERINE DREAM, JEAN MICHAEL JARRE and ALAN PARSONS PROJECT.
Besides the fact that the included music is very sensational and a must-have, TIME HORIZON is also a supporter of Living Water International (LWI). LWI is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping the poorest of the poor in parts of the world where clean drinking water is scarce. The sale of the first 1000 CDs of TIME HORIZON will go to Living Water International to help in their goal of providing clean drinking water to the needy. So it is for a good cause as well, can’t get much better than this I think!"...

Prog Head

After such tremendous album that was 'Living Water', I have highest hopes of the band's next studio release. Undoubtedly, it may be a masterpiece with a new fresh innovative approach that should put Time Horizon in the premier league of today's prog-scene.

Last edited:

Prog Head

Time Horizon's second studio album, 'Transitions', has been recorded, mixed and mastered. Fifty-seven minutes of the new material are split over ten compositions. A really classy art-cover should round off the package... :cool:

Time Horizon  2015.jpg

Stay tuned for more details in coming Fall. :)

Last edited:

Prog Head

Time Horizon's second studio album, 'Transitions', has been recorded, mixed and mastered. Fifty-seven minutes of the new material are split over ten compositions.

There will be a number of guest musicians performing on the album, including former members of Yes, Glass Hammer, Proto-Kaw.
:)

Last edited:

Prog Head

The tentative track-list:

1. Only One

2.Only through Faith
3.Only Today
4.Prisoner
5.The Moment is Here
6. About Time
7. You're all I Need
8. River of Sorrows
9. Water Girl
10. Love is Here.

Prog Head

Time Horizon are thinking about record label to release and distribute the new CD. Meanwhile the band have some options open to them and will decide pretty soon.

John Watt

Prog Head, even if you flog it.
Wow! I thought I was bad, typing letters disguised as postings,
and replying to myself,
but I can see I've met my match, as you are infusing me with your muse.

And just in case you're wondering where I'm at as a musician, or songwriter,
here's a new line that probably will become a song, a protest song.
slacker dance beat, thinking slow dancers might get meditative with it.

"I don't know what's making a bigger splash no more,
water from this can of tuna, or waves along the shore."

Prog Head

The new album is available

That's my verdict:

'Transitions' is an apt name for the second release from TIME HORIZON. When comparing the band's axis to the previous CD, it's clear that the US formation had a number of personnel changes since 2011. Luckily, the major figure still remains Ralph Otteson who’s responsible for the songwriting, entourage of whimsical keyboards and backing vocals. At the moment, a primary line-up is complemented by Dave Miller (guitars) and Allen White (bass). Standing at the helm, Ralph Otteson also gathered a handful of guests, among whom I want to single out Yes alumni Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, plus David Wallimann (formerly Glass Hammer). Worthy of special note is Michael Mullen, violinist… The material on 'Transitions' falls into the listening scope of many different stripes. Time Horizon use a vast range of influences stretching from symphonic AOR to electronica, from bombastic sections to virtuoso guitar craze, from power pop to retro-flavored prog. Alternation of three lead singers (Bruce Gaetke, Rich Reif, Jake Livgren) increases the feel of manifold. The individual tracks weave together nicely to present an excellent stylized affair. Foremost, ‘Only One’ provides a strong impetus to the album. Expansive and consummately performed, this track is quite reminiscent of classic Asia, with a taste of bombastic passages and massive choruses. That's just the beginning. Next up, ‘Only Through Faith’. Having its own character, it brings a-la Vangelis mesmerizing sentiment. The sonic experiment segues to ‘Only Today’, where TH presents the other incarnation of Asia (John Payne era). In some extent, ‘Prisoner’ evokes Sweet Comfort Band ('Cutting Edge' period). A cover version of the World Trade song, ‘Moment Is Here’, follows subsequently. It contains a few Yes references, both in the instrumental department and harmonies. Music varies on the next track that deviates in route. Featuring emphatic riffs and acrobatic chord progressions, the instrumental piece ‘About Time’ could well be a Joe Satriani legacy. The album continues with a thickly arranged composition 'You're All I Need’ which resembles the style set forth on the debut CD. Then, a kind of peculiar experiment titled ‘River of Sorrows’. Generally speaking, if I had to find fault then it’d be that. The penultimate tune, another instrumental - 'Water Girl'. Comprising the mellow guitar awesomeness, it swings back and forth between Vinnie Moore and Joe Satriani. Though most importantly, the CD has a stupendous ending: ‘Love Is Here’ may be described as the greatest song Kansas never wrote. I am getting a chill up my spine!.. All in all, gracefully packaged (with an appealing image on the surface) 'Transitions' is a 56+ min. collection of impressive stuff that reflects the breadth of interests and sources of inspiration. Recommended.
:cool:

Last edited: