Two pianists worthy of attention...

mathetes1963

dll927

When we have to split hairs over the brand of piano, maybe they should spend their time on other matters.

Not that people aren't within their rights to have their preferences, but does an organist refuse to play a concert because the organ is a Schoenstein instead of a Rufatti? Or even a Moller or Aeolean-Skinner? They will all get there, and Cavaille-Colls are pretty rare these days.

Except for the matter of making recordings, in which an organist might choose a particular organ in a particular location (as much for acoustical reasons as for brand-name), you takes what you gets. And a certain company in NYC just might argue about Bosendorfers!!

Last edited:

mathetes1963

dll927, I happen to be partial to the sound of Bosendorfers; beyond that, I have no interest in arguing the merits of one piano maker against another, as such arguments are highly subjective, and ultimately pointless anyway.

Back to the question at hand: What did you think of the two artists playing?

dll927

Superb!! And I say that listening on the computer, not my stereo system, which I'm sure would improve the sound.

It would be interesting to know just what attributes cause one to prefer one make of piano (or for that matter, organ!!) over another.

mathetes1963

For me personally, it is the sweetness that the treble register has, and thunderous -but never muddy! -bass sound of the "B" that I love so much. In fact, if it is an "Imperial" grand, it actually has an extra half-octave in the bass, making it perhaps the most "hi-fi" piano around...again, IMHO ;)

rovikered

When we have to split hairs over the brand of piano, maybe they should spend their time on other matters.
does an organist refuse to play a concert because the organ is a Schoenstein instead of a Rufatti? Or even a Moller or Aeolean-Skinner? They will all get there, and Cavaille-Colls are pretty rare these days.

Perhaps not, in the United States.
But I know of one organist who, I understand, would not play a non-tracker action organ. However, that may not now be the case.