Untimely Deaths of Great Musicians

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Over the years, many great jazz and rock artists have died "well before their time". If they had lived longer, whom among them do you think would/could have made the greatest contributions to their respective genres? In other words, which of these artists do you miss the most, and why. The name which would top my list is Jimi Hendrix, who in my opinion should really be classified as an original prog rock musician for the chords and sounds he innovated by his playing. We can only imagine to where his continuing development and evolution might have led. Had he lived longer, it is quite possible that he and Miles Davis would have recorded together. WOW! What might have been! :bawl:

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Have to agree with Hendrix Steve. i would like to think he would have mellowed and attained more depth without losing his innovative side. Jim Morrison of the doors needs to be included for his input into the bands music. Although he did not die young Syd Barretts illness due to drug abuse effectively removed him from the scene and robbed us of another talented musician without whom Pink Floyd might never have existed.

teddy

escher

booker little, with miles davis my favorite trumpet player. He was a fantastic player and a composer/arranger with magnificent ear for dissonance and a great harmonic sensibility (listen to his out front or straight ahead of abbey lincoln). If he had lived more than his 23 years i think that he certainly now would be considered in the same league of davis, trane, shorter, mingus, dolphy etc. What a sad loss.

For what concerns guitarists, i think that lenny breau, killed at 43 was reaching new levels for the guitar.

Tim Buckley too died too soon, he was only 28. But i've to say that his last albums are the least interisting of his brief career, same for albert ayler.
Coltrane too was too young, Eric Dolphy, Woody Shaw... oh, and charlie parker obviously. Nick Drake...

Last edited:

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Jim Croce. How many more gorgeous ballads would he have given us had his plane not crashed?

John Watt

Yes, if there's one modern thought I have about Jimi, considering how much time he spent in the studio playing with tape,
is that he'd have loved computers, getting into the orchestral composing and performances he was talking about, before he passed away.

Sure, guitar was supplanted by keyboards as triggers for synth sounds, so I'll admit that lead guitarists weren't on top any more,
but seeing bass as needing more development, I wish Jaco Pastorius was still innovating.

Hendrix might have been too hands on as a recording artist, doing his own bass, when an experienced counterpoint could have elevated his music.
Even when he reached back to an old and trusted friend, towards the end, "Band of Gypsies", and the recent Hendrix revival tour,
revealed him to be a repetitive, do what he's told player.

White Knight

Hi John. Kudos on your point about what Hendrix could have done with today's computers in the studio etc. I never even thought about that aspect of it before. :shake: Just goes to show what a dope I am when it comes to music. :ut:Anyway, I'll keep on trying to learn. Peace and out. Steve

White Knight

Another great American musician who died way too early and--like Hendrix--was a virtuoso guitarist is Duane Allman. He is sorely missed. I often wonder, after listening to his "balls to the wall" performance on "Mountain Jam" from the Eat a Peach album, to what further heights he could have reached had he lived longer. RIP, brother.:angel:

garethbarnes

Jaco Pastorius

I often wish he were still around. He was just beginning to start composing more and broadening his repertoire. He could have made a ton more good stuff with Joe Zawinul before he died as well three years ago.

But then again, to quote from Blade Runner, 'The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and [Jaco] burned so very, very brightly.'

White Knight

How right you are. And, unfortunately--if I'm not mistaken--didn't Joe Zawinul recently pass as well?

garethbarnes

Yup. Zawinul died in September 2007. I saw one of his last gigs at the Camden Jazz Cafe. He was another genius!

White Knight

Yes he was Gareth. Have you ever heard his composition 74 Miles Away done with Cannonball Adderly when he was a member of the group? It's simply off the hook! I am really glad for you that you were able to see him perform live--that must have been awesome indeed. Congrats!

methodistgirl

You were talking about the untimely deaths of great musicians,
how about the singers too. I was a big fan of Marty Robbins who
was a country music genius. Elvis Presley died too young. As
for Michael Jackson and I were the same age when he died.
There are more from Buddy Holly to the present who died too soon.
judy tooley

teddy

Duckmeister
It is still hard for me to think that half of The Beatles group are dead. Mind you, I still miss Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones.

teddy

White Knight

Teddy, I know what you mean re: both the Beatles and the Stones. Their losses are still felt in the musical world today--and, I suspect--will continue to be felt for many years to come.

Soubasse

Jeff Porcaro - significant loss considering the vast number of sessions/artists for whom he played. Chances are that anyone has heard his excellent and solid drumming whether they know it or not.

Ian Curtis - tragic and depressed figure of course, but fascinating nonetheless. Lyrics and concepts were always just that little bit left or right of centre.

Sandy Denny - lovely voice that quietly helped define that folk-rock sound.

Freddie Mercury - amazing voice, one of the most unique in rock, quite the personality too.

Frank Zappa - an extraordinarily erudite and distinctive guitarist, undeniably in a class of his own.

White Knight

Soubasse, hi. That name Jeff Porcaro somehow rings a bell in my addled head. Did he ever drum with any of the Jeff Beck groupings back in the seventies?

Soubasse

Hi WK, only going from memory but yes I'm reasonably certain that Jeff Porcaro drummed for Beck before forming Toto (with brother Steve (keyboards) ... and other brother Mark on bass I think.)

White Knight

Hi Soubasse. I think he might have also done work with Steely Dan as well, at least according to wikipedia. Thanks.

marval

Eva Cassidy known as the Songbird was only 33 when she died. Sadly she only really became known and appreciated after her death.

Dinah Washington was only 39 when she died, and American Jazz Trumpeter Clifford Brown was only 26 when he died. So many people gone too early.

As a fan of Jim Reeves, who died at age 41, another great loss.

Margaret