Unusual foods

Muza

Yeah I've had those. What about fried plantanes? there is this chain of restaurants here, cha cha cha, i think, they have really good brazilian food. Among many yummy things, there were the best fried plantanes ;)

marval

Do you think this was for a shotgun wedding?

gun_cake.jpg

Margaret

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Ms. Margaret,

Aha - the wedding cake for Insane Harry and Bloody Mary :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Muza

That was seriously a wedding cake? I was thinking more along the lines of a retiring policeman...or a hitman perhaps:grin:

Corno Dolce

You never know what you'll get at Weddings, Retirements, and Funerals these days - It can be a real "crap-shoot" :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Muza

There is this traditional Russian dish, which, translated into English, would mean something like "Herring under Fur Coat" ;)
Its an aquired taste. Its a layered dish, with layers of pieces of herring, boiled shredded potatoes, mayo, boiled shredded carrots, mayo, onions, topped with boiled shredded beets, and mayo ;)

Purple%20Fish.JPG

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I would never survive in Russia ... I hate the taste of beets, mayo, butter [oleo], sour cream, cream cheese, and the like make me ... :crazy: ... well ... :rolleyes: ... :eek: ... let's just say they don't agree with my digestive system ... :nut:.

Guess I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy ... well, salmon and rice pilaf is nice, too.

Muza

Krummhorn, if you are a meat and potatoes kinda guy - you would DEFINITELY survive in Russia ;). But yeah, as I said before, this dish as well as some other ones are an acquired taste - you really have to grow up eating those things - and things like herring are really not that popular or available in America.
(I remember when I came here, I just could not get used to even an idea of salty and sweet together. I worked in a restaurant, and a lot of meat dishes were served with sweet sauces, and that was really weird for me ;). But surprisingly, it eventially started tasting kinda good ;))

Judie, I suppose you can do a lot of things, but they wouldnt be that dish anymore, lols.

P.S., Krummhorn, are you lactose intolerant or just really dont like dairy products?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
P.S., Krummhorn, are you lactose intolerant or just really dont like dairy products?

Hi Muza,

Not intolerant, just one of those silly Americans who never acquired the taste for sour cream or mayo ... I stopped using oleo [margarine, butter] at age 13 totally out of the blue - just stopped ... oddly enough, I found out almost 10 years later that my Uncle (Mom's brother) had also stopped eating oleo, at the same age; he also never acquired a taste either for sour cream and mayo. Guess some food likes/dislikes are hereditary. My son does not do oleo or mayo either.

I also don't drink milk any longer - but I love cheese - colby longhorn - not any of the "exotic" ones those with nuts and other flavorings ... Eeuchh!!

I've heard other people refer to Borscht as boars*** :lol: ... Beet soup is not on my 'to do' list of things to eat ... ever!

Muza

I see. I was just curious, cause I very very much dislike milk and some milk products as well, Im not allergic to them or anything, I just really dont like milk and yogurt and some other dairy products. I'd rather drink a whole carton of soy milk, which my family finds disgusting ;). Butter and margerine i really dont care for - I add them sometime to my cooking, or once in a blue moon will have a toast with butter.
But the sour cream I will never give up!!! ;)

Anyhow, stay tuned for more dishes that may turn your stomach inside out ;););)

Muza

Ok ;) Rather than shocking you with strange russian food, I though I would rather take a chance to introduce you to some of my most favourite food - Uzbek food.

I'll start with one of the most famous dishes - Plov or Osh (if you think that sounds a lot like pilaf, you are absolutely right! This is a rice dish, hence the name ;)).

There are only four major ingredients - carrots and onions, meat, and rice. However, its extremely hard to make and only true masters can master the art of plov. Of course there are slight variatins as to ingredients (u may also add other stuff to it) depending on the household.
Its a very tasty and filling dish. Should be served with fresh herbs, like parsley or cilantro, scallions or a salsa like fresh salad (also depends on personal preferences) : tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and herbs.

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Hi Muza,

That looks and sounds delicious - I'm drooling already :grin::grin::grin:

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

marval

Hi Muza

That Plov looks lovely.

Went out last night, for my birthday. We had a lovely chinese meal.
Lots of spare ribs, seaweed, sesame toast and spring rolls.

Along with some Tsingtao. (Chinese beer)

The whole meal was delicious.

Here is some for you all to share.

r

Margaret

Muza

Happy belated Birthday!!!:grin: That meal looks delicious!

Here is some Uzbek dessert for the birthday girl ;)

2029524594_c5ef1aea78.jpg

choy.jpg

The dessert is called Chak Chak, basically a fried pastry held together by honey. :grin::grin::grin: