Unusual foods

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Pork rinds ... I used to feed those to our Greyhounds - even they had a rough time with the first few bites ... :whistle:

marval

How about this.

A Manhattan restaurant is offering a 175 US dollar (£89) hamburger that is topped with gold.
Made of Kobe beef, it comes with black truffles, foie gras and Gruyere cheese in addition to gold flakes.
Wall Street Burger Shoppe co-owner Heather Tierney said the hamburger was popular with "Wall Street types" who down a few beers and then buy it to show off to their friends.

Margaret

methodistgirl

I have heard of 24 karet cake that looked like chocolate brownies
with gold in them that were very expensive. Forget the gold I just
want the cake.
judy tooley

Muza

Yeah I've heard of this desert too. It comes in a golden bowl and you are only supposed to eat it with golden spoon. How ridiculous is that? but I suppose - whatever makes one happy...

Muza

loquat.jpg

I was just walking around, wondering the streets of San Diego a few years back, and I saw this fruit. Being a curios person, I picked one fruit and tried it. It was heavenly!!! I didnt know what it was until now, but now that I do I am happy. These treas and fruits are all over California, mostly in backyards and frontyards like Orange trees, and nobody reallly picks the actual fruit. And i have never ever seen it in stores! I cant believe it! Something so delicious is growing right under our nose, but it has not been grown and harvested for commercial purposes ;(

Loquats (Eriobotrya japonica, aka Japanese plum) are fruit trees indigenous to southeastern China, but is now grown in Florida and California. It is an evergreen large shrub or small tree that can grow to 5-10 m tall, but is often smaller, about 3-4 m. Loquats are unusual among fruit trees in that the flowers appear in the fall or early winter, and the fruits are ripe in late winter or early spring.
The fruit is very slightly fuzzy, and a light orange color, or orange-yellow. and have a large pit in the middle (or even several pits in the very center; up to 7, but usually 1 or 2)The fruit is a creamy white inside and is sweet (with some subacid or acid) if left to ripen on the tree before picking. The fruit should be peeled prior to eating; the skin, though thin, can be pulled off manually if the fruit is ripe. Also, the seeds MUST be removed before use, as they are toxic! It does make a wonderful jelly, and will grow in the deep South of the US. The tree won't bear fruit until it is about 10 yrs old (and the winter conditions have to be right in order to bear fruit).

The loquat is comparable to the apple in many aspects, with a high sugar, acid and pectin content. It is eaten as a fresh fruit and mixes well with other fruits in fresh fruit salads or fruit cups. Firm, slightly immature fruits are best for making pies or tarts. The fruits are also commonly used to make jam, jelly and chutney, and are delicious poached in light syrup. A type of loquat syrup is used in Chinese medicine for soothing the throat, like a cough drop. Loquats can also be used to make wine. Loquats are easy to grow and are often also grown as an ornamental tree.

Muza

Your knowledge of unusual foods is truly infinite and never stops to amaze me. and that is one whacky whacky fruit ;)

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Muza,

I love breadfruit because one can do so much with it. It can be a sweet treat, a dish served with an entree, as an appetizer - Gee, the uses are only limited to one's imagination.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

methodistgirl

I got something at Wal mart just a while ago that is a pasta called
dorito. Not the famous chips that we all enjoy. This is pasta that
is round and looks like pinwheels. I bought some once and boiled
it and the pasta didn't turn out right. It came out gooy and tough.
I put one of them in some hot oil and they puffed up and these
things are really good. They are called doritos.
judy tooley

Muza

So, you are supposed to boil them and then fry them?

How about Spaghetti Squash? Any fans out there? You steam it a little bit and then fork it out, and comes out like spaghetti. I made it once, but it was not very good. But it should really be good with a tomato sause, like marinara or bolognese. :grin:

methodistgirl

This is a different kind of pasta. This is Mexican pasta. They are called
duros. You don't boil them you either fry them or nuke them for a real
tasty treat. They look like this. I tried it with a
bowtie pasta and it didn't turn out the same.
judy tooley

methodistgirl

This is a mexican pasta that you cook in hot oil or microwave. It's so
delicious!:p You will have to go to a mexican speciality store or to a
supermarket where they sell these. They come in a box or bin that looks
like little red pinwheels.
judy tooley

methodistgirl

You get these at some resturants where they cut an onion up to
look like a flower fried in a batter. They're also good.
judy tooley

Muza

Oh thats what those are. Yeah, I always wanted to try one but never did. I can only imagine how good it is though ;)