• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Viable organ companies

dll927

I have the impression that organ builders have seen better times. We no longer have Aeolian-Skinner, Moller, and some others. Austin almost bit the dust, but I guess they managed to rescusitate to some degree.

The one that seems to be operating is Schoenstein. They did the new LDS Conference Center, and also the one at First-Plymouth Congregational in Lincoln, NE (a website well worth visiting). And I guess Reuter still exists - the former organist at the Crystal Cathedral now plays at something called Shadyside Presbyterian in Pittsburgh, PA, and that's supposed to be a Reuter. At the moment it escapes me who did the one in the new cathedral in L.A.

There seem to be several smaller companies, some of which are apparently devoted largely to mechanical-action organs. And of course, there's always Casavant. But not much any more on the scale of some of the older "biggies".

And watch that Schoenstein - they are in San Francisco, which means anything they do may cost three times what is necessary anywhere else.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Schoenstein makes fabulous instruments worth every penny invested - yes, they are expensive but you're not getting cheapo crap. Schoenstein is now located in Benicia, Ca, Fisk is another great company as is Lively-Fulcher. Dobson made the one in the new Cathedral in L.A.

dll927

That one is German-made and was installed by Rosales. It's notoriously famous for its "crooked" 32-foot wood pipes. I guess it's artistic license, but they supposedly are put in so they look like nothing is holding them up. I also understand that it's difficult to get in to see it, due to rehearsal schedules and various other activities.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Quimby Pipe Organs (Missouri) are a very reputable US builder. They have just completed the complete restoration of the Great organ at St. John the Divine in NYC.

Here in the SW desert of the US, we also have an excellent regional builder, Pipe Organ Artisans of Arizona ... Grahame Davis is the owner and a very fine organ technician. He maintains my Möller Pipe at my church and also completed a fine addition to an AS instrument in recent years (65 ranks).

Pipe organ building is not a lost are (yet) in the US ... yes, some of the big names went out of business like Möller, but that was because of pure greed by its new owners, not because of any deficiency in their building techniques. Many fine Möller's exist today and are in perfect working order ... mine included.

dll927

Does anyone know about the Turner Organ Co.? They were located in Hacienda Heights, CA, which is out east of L.A. in the La Puente area. They did at least the console for the Baptist church in Bakersfield, but I don't know if they actually build organs including pipes, etc.

AllanP

JH & CS Odell makes fine organs. There are a number of smaller, regional builders that make and restore fine instruments. In the northwest, Hochhalter is a good firm that I am familiar with.