What 5 songs do you want to be played at your funeral?

marval

I agree Stephen funerals are for the living. They are not just for mourning someone, they are a celebration of their life.

Margaret

methodistgirl

Well here's one of the songs I found because I will be singing it
next sunday. Beulah Land, Jesu joy of man's desire, and one of
the new ones I Can Only Imagine. I heard that one for sure at
a funeral. Funerals are done different in the South! You have
the solos, the boo hooers, the service, and the last view before
they close the lid. Not to forget someone's squalling kid who
won't behave that distracts everybody kicking and screaming.
That's what funerals are like here.
judy tooley

jhnbrbr

Funerals are done different in the South! You have the solos, the boo hooers, the service, and the last view before
they close the lid. Not to forget someone's squalling kid who won't behave that distracts everybody kicking and screaming.
judy tooley

I like that picture of a Southern funeral, Judy. In the midst of death, we are in life!

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi wljmrbill,

It actually comes from the 18th Century Kievan Chant, which makes it truly Slavic in origin. When a Church member "reposes" (dies), a "Pannikhida" (service for the departed) is performed, which consists of prayers for the departed, their family, for the life of the Church, and so on.

Humbly,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

dll927

Five pieces? How long is that funeral going to be?

In my experience,"How Great Thou Art" has become just about a fixture at funerals or memorial services. Usually done by a soloist.

wljmrbill

Corno Dolce: Yes I should have said Russian Orthodox perhaps and not left it open as there are 13 orthodox branches I believe.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Honorable wljmrbill,

No probs, mate...:):):) There is quite alot of melodies borrowed from the Greek Orthodox Tradition in the Russian Orthodox Liturgy. You are probably aware that a delegation was sent to Constantinople to learn about what was heard about in re to a Faith System in Byzantium. Two weeks after the delegation had returned to Russia, Russia was baptised as a Christian Nation in 988.

Sorry for getting off-topic. Get this, once I envisioned that a Dixieland Band would play "Oh When The Saints Come Marching In" at my funeral. Yep, I've been that wacky.......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

pengpeng

Though I, too, wonder how long the actual funeral will be and if there's room enough for five songs, here's my Top5 list. They may look a bit unfitting at first but I see it that way that with all sadness and tragedy a funeral brings with, it should also be sth where the life of the passed away person should be praised and especially the music should bring a light smile to the visitors, thinking of the good moments and days.
I wouldn't like my funeral to be filled with depressing sacral chorals etc.
So, here we go:

1. Gustav Holst "Jupiter, the bringer of Jollity"
2. Marillion "Childhood's End"
3. Manowar "Kingdom Come"
4. Basil Poledouris "Atlantean Sword" (from theConan soundtrack)
5. Devin Townsend "Life"