what is a violincello?

marval

Hi Shannon

Welcome to the forum, thank you for the information. Do stick around and join in.

Margaret

Tûrwethiel

I once read a really interesting novel narrated from the point of view of a viola da gamba. From memory, the book traced the instrument's journey through the hands of different musicians and even through the "surgery" required to transform it into a cello when fashions changed. And, no, I didn't buy the book because it was called Resonating Bodies!

Tûrwethiel

Thanks Corno Dolce. My CD collection is sadly lacking when it comes to Bach's cello suites so I will take your advice.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha CT64,

Very little farnarkeling indeed. I sometimes wish that I would have gotten to know the viola da gamba better when I was younger - the sound is so heavenly.

Cheerio,

CD :):):)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Yes, heavenly indeed - I've never had the pleasure, though, spending a considerable amount of my early musical effort playing viola ... I consider myself historically more connected than, say, a violinist would.

Soubasse

As is your right IMO. I've always preferred the more resonant, rounded sounds of the viola and in particular the da gamba. When I was at Uni, there was an Early Music ensemble at the time consisting of three gamba players and continuo, who between them all, made a simply superb sound. I wheedled my way onto the harpsichord stool later in the year which coincidentally suited me fine since by that stage I had become - stupidly - smitten with the only female member of the group. I say "stupidly" because she ended up with a lutenist ... clearly I wasn't quite Early Music enough for her (I was mostly playing Messiaen that year).:grin:

Incidentally, I think I've come to the conclusion the word farnarkeling looks every bit as amusing in print, if not more so, as it does being spoken. Wonderful to see it still in use. I will now go and tell my boys to stop farnarkeling around and get back to bed.

MPA

(PS: string family, violoncelli, viola da gamba, err ... resonating bodies - just trying to stay on topic here :D)

Corno Dolce

Aloha Soubasse,

So, you were *two-timing* with Messiaen and Early Music, eh? :grin::grin::grin:

Yeah, *Gambists* and Lutenists usually *find* each other....

Cheerio,

CD :):):):)

ps. Many years ago while I was living in Europe, I had signed up for a summer music seminar in Lausanne. I had prepared Franck's Sonata in A-major for Violin and Piano and then rehearsed with a gal who was part-Irish, part Italian - She was smitten with me and planted a big *wet one* on stage after the performance. She combined intelligence and looks but I felt that I could not reciprocate.

Last edited:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Incidentally, I think I've come to the conclusion the word farnarkeling looks every bit as amusing in print, if not more so, as it does being spoken. Wonderful to see it still in use. I will now go and tell my boys to stop farnarkeling around and get back to bed.

You're very welcome.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I seem to remember an hilarous ditty (voice and piano) with the main theme or at least string of words "The pro-musica antiqua" but sung "The prooooooooooo musica, the proooooooooooo muscia, the prooooooooooo musica antiiiiiiiqua". About a lass who went to her local early musical society's concert and got, er well, ravished by a handsome man in the audience "He laid me high and he laid me low". It's the most hilarious thing I've heard, wish I knew how to get hold of a copy.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
And, thanks to Google here it is:

I'll sing you a song of the Cloisters if you hark.
I'll sing of the Cloisters in Fort Tryon Park.
Where I used to go in the month of June
To listen to the riddle of an ancient tune
At a concert given in the afternoon
By the Pro Musica Antiqua, the Pro Musica Antiqua
The Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua.

It was at precisely such a recital I recall
That I met a young man, like an oak tree, straight and tall.
As we sat there together, and we spoke no word
As within our hearts ---Ah, something stirred
As we listened there to Buxtehude, Purcell and Byrd
At the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua.

He invited me to his flat
For a cup of tea and a chat.
For he said he had a batch of recordings to play
Of Dufy and Dupres, so what could I say, but "Yes"!
What a fool I was to go.
What an idiot from tippy-top to toe.
For behind that face and charming smile
Lay a motive base and a manner vile.
What a fool I was to go!
But how could I nonny nonny nonny know?

Well he took me up to his flat as he had said
And he locked the door and he sat on his great double bed
And he looked at me with eyes that lied
And I knew when I saw that look in his eye
That he had no recordings of Dupres and Dufy
From the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua.

Well there I stood. I was rooted in my place.
As I viewed with dread my deceitful lover's face.
For I knew from the lovesick look in his eye,
He could lay me low with a single sigh
Well he laid me low...and he laid me high

Now if you go to concerts on the grass
And you're overfond of Gabrielli brass
Or a gay Bonsel, Beware! Beware!
Of what may come to pass.
Of what may come to pass.

Now the sound of a consort of viols makes me ill,
And the lute and the zither make me sicker still.
And every morning at the crowing of the cocks
I wash my face and I comb my locks
And I brush my teeth and I put a pox
On the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica, the Pro Musica Antiqua.

Now maidens take fair warning from my tale.
Beware! Beware of the music-loving male.
You can go to the Cloisters if you choose
And seek enchantment in the muse
But I hate to tell you what you might lose

Corno Dolce

Hrrrumpf!!! - CT64!!! :scold::scold::scold::scold::scold:

You naughty boy :grin::grin::grin:

Corno Dolce

Aloha CT64,

Didn't you see my three grin smileys after the phrase *you naughty boy*? That means I didn't take it literally...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheerio,

CD :):):)

jamescliff

Hi janny108,

The violoncello, or cello for short, is aaa member of the string family, which includes violin, viola violoncello, and double bass from highest to lowest. The full name, violoncello, is responsible for the standard score abbreviation of Vc. for the cello staff. There is one cello, along with aaa viola and two violins, in aaa string quartet, and aaa section of cellos, possibly ten or so, in large orchestras.

Thanx,