What jazz have you been listening to today?

teddy

Duckmeister
I am an old bore and I am listening to EST - From Gagarins Point Of View again 'cause I like it

teddy

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Thelonious Monk--
The Thelonious Monk Orchestra At Town Hall
Cannonball Adderley--
The Cannonball Adderley Sextet In New York
What mellow and yet ass-kicking jazz on both of these albums! Fantastic music and performances by both groups.

Last edited:

John Watt

George Benson, the best hits, but I wasn't just listening.
I bought a little Sony radio and CD player that has a cassette player,
something I read about in a Toronto paper,
wondering why Sony would put their best CD unit in with their best cassette player,
considering the cassette didn't have any volume, tones or e.q.'s, just recording straight off the radio or CD.
So I was recording this library take-out while I listened,
something that sounds wonderful through my Sony rack-mount cassette manufacturing unit,
through my pumped up cassette sound system or Sony studio headphones.
Take that, tiny little digital sounds!

stu

John, I tried playing some old cassettes but had a lot of trouble. Two of them got all chewed up in the player. Maybe been lying unused for too long?

Todays CD listening was;
Jazz At The Philharmonic 1948. CD.
Jazz At The Philharmonic 1944. CD.

teddy

Duckmeister
I regularly used to find my tapes chewed up until I bought a really cheap player, second hand, and after that, no more problems. My old BMW had a tape player as well as radio and CD muti changer but now I have to rely on an old Walkman if I want to play tapes.

teddy

OLDUDE

Listening to the music by Bill Evans and Gil Evans that i bought
today (see my post in the New Purchase thread)

Last edited:

stu

Listening to some interesting 1953 -1955 European sessions. Groups that I used to tune in to on radio back then.
Tracks by pianist Bengt Halberg and his Swedish All Stars that include baritonist Lars Gullin; trombonist Ake Persson; altoist Arne Domnerus and bassist Red Mitchell.
And, pianist George Wallington with Swedish All Stars. Again with Lars Gullin and Ake Persson.
Two tracks by baritonist Sahib Shahib with European Jazz Trio from Swiss Jazz Radio Days concert, and finally, from same source, a set by clarinetist Tony Scott with Jazz Live Trio in a dedication to Lady Day, Billie Holiday.

Last edited:

gord

werner herbers big band--plays Robert.f.grauttinger live at the paradise-channel crossings cd.herbers Kenton influenced big band playing some of grauttingers lost arrangements.nice one this.gord

John Watt

One thing I've learned getting into my new cassette player,
and that's it won't play some old cassettes,
and how many different kinds of cassettes there used to be out there.

millions

Sun Ra, The Magic City (Evidence), and reading the book of his street-tracts, rants, and polemic writings. Harrowing. The Magic City refers not to some outer-space place, but to Birmingham, Alabama.

millions

One thing I've learned getting into my new cassette player,
and that's it won't play some old cassettes,
and how many different kinds of cassettes there used to be out there.

That should not be; all cassettes are playable on all players. Check the "record protect" tabs, which if engaged, will prevent recording. If they are the slide type, you can easily slide the tabs back; if they are pop-out tabs, fill them in with a wadded-up piece of paper.