What jazz have you been listening to today?

stu

Mike, great jam sessions all! I do have most of the Buck Clayton's, however, the Mel Powell track was one I missed out on. I didn't know it existed. A while back I downloaded a lot of jam sessions stuff and three of them were from that Mel Powell Carnegie Hall concert. At that time there wasn't any mention of the excellent Lighthouse Blues track. Thanks for that one. I have now downloaded it and added it to a great 'dirty, filthy, gutsy, spit in the sawdust' jam session compilation.:cool:

On Friday night I ventured out on the invitation from my son to attend an excellent jazz concert by the John Colianni Quartet. He was the pianist with Mel Torme for four years, and with the Les Paul Trio, and currently leads a quintet in New York. A superb pianist. I had seen him previously at the Edinburgh Jazz Festival a few years back and really liked what I heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pmtlib7o26A

cwarchc, that Cannonball recording fires on all cylinders!:)

gord

thelonious monk-john Coltrane--the complete riverside recordings 1957-riverside (2cds). these cds are so good I could listen to them all day,and you know what,i think I will.gord

stu

Lars Gullin- Baritone sax/Lars Gullin Swings-two sessions on one Cd
Leo Parker -Rollin' With Leo CD.
Bob Wilbur and Kenny Davern- Soprano Summit In Concert. CD.

stu

Duke Ellington Orchestra -Treasury Broadcasts 1945-46. Tracks from 6 Cd's of downloaded tracks.

Bud Powell Trio (Powell;Oscar Pettiford bass; Kenny Clarke drums) with Coleman Hawkins -Live At Essen Jazz Festival 1960.

Last edited:

stu

I had a night of vocalists. Roberta Gambarini/Beverley Kenney/ Sarah Vaughan/Tony Bennet/Lee Wiley/
Ella Fitzgerald/Mel Torme/Carol Sloane./The Four Freshmen/Hi Lo's/Jimmy Rushing/Jimmy Witherspoon.etc

I retired to bed singing a garbled mixed up medley -there will never be another you - the things we did last summer -I walk as if I had wings bump into things-
when autumn leaves start to fall - falling in love with love- (tripped on the carpet but retained my balance never missing a note) as I continued in splendid voice (I thought!) -when the grass stops growing and the wind stops blowing then I'll be tired of you---when my wife yelled out- "Shut the hell up!

Last edited: