What jazz have you been listening to today?

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Miles Davis--Bitches Brew {Disc 1}. Still cutting edge music almost four decades since it was first released back in 1969.

gord

steve,there was a time when I didn't like this album,then one day, I finally came to my senses and begun to realize that it is one of the greatest jazz records of alltime.I have spent many hours since then listening to it, and will continue to do so.gord

gord

fats Navarro-allen eager--Saturday night swing sessions-g I records
bobby Timmons trio--easy does it-riverside
cannonball adderley--domination-capitol

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
steve,there was a time when I didn't like this album,then one day, I finally came to my senses and begun to realize that it is one of the greatest jazz records of alltime. I have spent many hours since then listening to it, and will continue to do so.gord
Absolutely, Gord; Upon a first listen, it might well sound like just a lot of disassociated noise. However, when one really listens to it, he/she can discern numerous themes and counter-themes being woven in intricate and changing patterns. It also took me numerous listenings to this album to appreciate it for the gem that it truly is. Not "traditonal jazz" by any means, just great jazz, which was light years ahead of its time, much like Jimi Hendrix and his music.
Congratulations on your breakthrough! :cheers:

Last edited:

gord

art taylor-wailin at the vanguard-verve
Charles mingus-mingus dynasty-Columbia
Charles mingus-plays it cool-metro (ex Newport rebels)

gord

chick corea quartet--time warp-stretch records
McCoy tyner--4x4-milestone
Jackie mclean--jackies bag-blue note

gord

paul desmond--blues in time (2cds)-not now music--two albums,first place again- and-blues in time with Gerry mulligan.essential jazz
dizzy Gillespie--new wave!-mercury jazz plus,the other album is dizzy on the French Riviera.nice.

John Watt

I bought Mile's "In a Silent Way", "Bitche's Brew" and "Are You Experienced" all at once,
wanting to get my own Jimi album and some new Miles.
Bitche's Brew hung in, but just became listening to one side.
In a Silent Way is a totally beautiful album, in a silent way.
It's almost hard to believe Mile's using bitches was considered hot and radical.

For over a year, when Mile's was asked what was on his turntable,
he said Jimi Hendrix.

I listened all the way when I first brought it home, and I can say I put it on for a little,
sitting here,
but it's time to make a move with this John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman (vocalist) package.
McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison, Elvin Jones, recorded at Van Gelder's studio in 1963.
The vocals are just too mellow.
This is a nice, folding cardboard cover, with a twelve page book,
and other than the cover being a little worn around the edges,
it looks and sounds brand new.
Hmmm! What should I do?

John Watt

David Sanborn CD, "A Change of Heart", smooth, corporate jazzy, 50 cents, for when I'm sanding a cabinet I'm building,
waiting to see a Simply Red DVD, "Stars", a best of live concert, a trade for two DVD movies.

Hey gord, you niagara falls canada guy!
Have you ever heard of the Niagara Funk Machine?
They just invited me to audition as a lead singer-guitarist.
A local band wants me to practice Tuesday nights as their lead singer.
That TV appearance really brought me a lot of interest.

Miles got bad, when he had a rumpled and sloppy looking chubby guitarist,
in jeans and work shirt, playing a Stratocaster through a Marshall amp.
It's like he wanted to be bad on purpose to turn people off to that equipment.
A Stratocaster and Marshall stack with effects should be a new, traditional instrument,
with a big humbucker at the end of the fretboard as a lead solo option.
Yes, I typed fretboard when my semi-solid-body has a fingerboard.

gord

hi john,dont know the Niagara funk machine.if I were you,i would do the audition,you will probably get the job.if you don't,one day you may regret that decision.gord

gord

miles davis--kind of blue-Columbia
joe turner--boss of the blues-atlantic
pink Floyd--the wall-Columbia
best jazz album ever,best blues album ever,best rock album ever.just my opinion.gord

gord

john Coltrane--a love supreme-impulse
finally starting to like this album,only took me 30 years.
john Coltrane--blue train-blue note,this one I have liked for 30 years.