john coltranes prestige albums
jack teagarden singing the blues
anything produced by norman granz in the 50s
thelonious monks solo piano
west coast big bands bob florence,bill holman,shorty rogers
these are my choices, gord

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
@ Gord, Sounds like a plan with which I can go along quite easily; I'm sure included among your West Coast selections are the inimitable Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond. Great choices, Gord!

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
These days I almost exclusively listen to anything by McCoy Tyner that has been recorded beginning with the year 1980. Why you may ask? Well, to be brief, I feel that McCoy has reached such Olympian Heights with his artistry.

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
I am in absolute agreement with CD re: Tyner and his artistry. Along with Coltrane--with whom he often played and produced some classic jazz--he is most definitely one of my all-time favorites and "go to" guys. I would also have to add Cannonball Adderly, Esbjorn Svensson, Monk and Hancock to that list.

teddy

Duckmeister
Laid back would best describe my preference at the moment. Love the combination of Brubeck and Desmond. Teagardens vocals as well as his playing. The best of EST such as Round Mdnight.

teddy

gord

more favorite jazz i like,
sonny rollins on prestige and blue note
mccoy tyner solo and trio
lee morgan on blue note
art blakey and art taylor, did any drummer swing a band like these two?
gord

GoneBaroque

My preference is for small groups without vocals. I particularly like piano, oboe and acoustic guitar. Among musicians Dave Brubeck, George Shearing, Andre Previn. Joe Pass Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis and Jusef Lateef come to mind immediately. I have a few recordings by a group called Traveling Light which feature a Jazz Tuba which is enjoyable.

AlderonFrederic

Well for me the closest to listen to is West Coast one, especially Gerry Mulligan, also Armstrong and some of the girlish kindda thingy) [h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

John Watt

I'm just thread-stalking AlderonFrederic to see who are what kind of jazz he likes.
He gave me an inspiring reply to one of my threads, so I'm just scoping him out.

When I saw McCoy Tyner in a nightclub in Toronto during the "Atlantis" tour,
he got up from the piano and went over to the bar where he has his own orange juice in the cooler.
No-one else went up to him so I went over. We talked for over twenty minutes, and I felt jazzed up.
I decided not to mention John Coltrane and sang some riffs like his sax players,
saying I could jam along with his songs on guitar but only get so far before I got repetitious.
He said if I got to where I could sing and play along to give him a call. He was a great man.
He talked about taking a year off, driving a cab in New York and growing an orange tree in his back yard.
I asked him how his border crossing went, and he just gave me a look we both shared.
After I went back and sat at the table with my girlfriend, drummer and bass player,
taking a week off with our band so I could see McCoy Tyner,
the waitress came over and said the club owner was offering us a free round of drinks,
because if I was friends with McCoy Tyner he wanted to be friends with us.
Oddly enough, we wore our stage clothes like we always did, very colourful,
while everyone else in the bar, except for the afro dashiki attired band, were dressed all black and white.
That's Toronto for you.
When I saw Mr. George Benson in Toronto at the Colonial on Yonge St, as uptown as it gets, in 1971,
there was a brass railing that divided the room, whites on one side with... uh... "afro-Americans" on the other.
I hear a lot of jazz as coming from the frustration of not being able to live up to all your abilities,
being forced to be a second-class citizen in your homeland.
With that in mind, I'm seeing the non-citizen, displaced immigrant population in the United States,
refugees from Mexico, Central and South America, as being a new hot-bed for very intense music.

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, Agape Love by Elvin Jones, Echoes of a Friend by McCoy Tyner,
and recordings based on the works of Nicolo Paganini, were my most important albums as a teenager.