Whoozis playing quiz

OLDUDE

Sorry Mat,
I seemed to drift from the original theme on Jan 8th (my old mind set doesnt always
work properly and I never found out how to inject the started track)

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
No problem, John.

Now, for anyone who's been having difficulties with posting clips:

Here's a short guide on how to post an attachment. And if you want to post an excerpt of a track you need to use an audio editing software. The one I use is Audacity. It's free and fairly easy to use. Once you open the track in it, you have to highlight the desired part with your mouse, click File, click Export The Highlighted Part as MP3 and save it on your HDD. Then you have to log on this thread and post it as an attachment. Hope this helps.

If you don't mind, I'll post one for all to enjoy (I hope).

The question is - who's singing?

Attachments

• quiz5.mp3
    505 KB · Views: 23

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Nope.

Here's the first clue. He is (was, actually) a trumpeter. He also had a solo earlier on this track; the track comes from a 1957 album.

stu

Mat. That's Dizzy Gillespie?

Taken on board the advice you gave. I have Audacity but hit a problem with certain file that seems to be missing. Hope to get this sorted when my whiz kid son comes to visit!!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
That's correct, Stu! It's Dizzy. Comes from the album Sonny Side Up.

Stu, I believe the file you're referring to is lame_enc.dll. I forgot to tell you about it. It's a free codec you have to download in order to get Audacity working. Just look it up on google. Once you've downloaded it, move it to the Audacity folder and then everything should be working fine. Good luck!

Would you like to post the next clip?

stu

Mat. I downloaded the file but I still have a problem or two, in as much as a few errors are cropping up! I am not giving up though, I will crack this before it cracks me!:grin:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Ok, Stu. We're waiting, then. Feel free to PM me, if you need any help. :tiphat:

And while we're waiting - who's playing?

Attachments

• quiz6.mp3
    919.6 KB · Views: 14

stu

Your file. Mcoy Tyner?

My file is a well known trombonist and sometimes vocalist.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Your file. Mcoy Tyner?

My file is a well known trombonist and sometimes vocalist.

No, not Tyner. He is known for the use of electric instruments, especially Rhodes Piano. He's also a Scientologist.

Now, your track. I'd go with Billy Eckstine.

-----------------------------------------------

One more thing about posting a clip. Some of the MP3 tracks might have an ID3 metadata container. It basiaclly means that some of the files store info such as preformer, genre or title in themselves. Thus, when I opened your second file in my music player, an additional ID3 info appeared telling me it was Warne Marsh on tenor.

To avoid this kind of situation in the future, here's what you have to do: After you've extracted a file in Audacity, you have to click Project and then Edit ID3. In a new window you can see the ID3 info for the track. You have to delete it. You can also replace it with a title that won't give out crucial info, like who's playing. It's our job to guess it. :cool: Hope my attempt to explain it was clear enough.

Last edited:

stu

Mat. It's not Billy Eckstine. This trombonist played with Stan Kenton at one time, and was featured a lot with his own groups (West Coast, Shorty Rogers etc)

Your clip- Maybe Chic Corea?

Now, the goofs I made. I will 'hopefully' figure this out and try again.:confused:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
You nailed it again, Stu. Chick Corea, it is.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
OK, seeing as no one else is showing interest in guessing who the trombonist from Stu's track is, I will take another shot.

Stu, I've got to tell you I'm clueless on this one, because I don't really know many jazz trombonists, so I hope I won't be making a complete fool of myself by saying Curtis Fuller?

stu

And the trombonist waaaaas....... wait for it!.......Frank Rosolino.
Tough luck Mat. Not an easy one come to think of it.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Never heard of him.

I guess it's your turn again, Stu. Post something nice for us :cool:

stu

Hope this one works okay!! Fingers crossed, eyes crossed, toes crossed......
Name the well known tenor player.
ATTACH]2505[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• jazz.mp3
    859.3 KB · Views: 15

stu

No takers on this one. It was the great, the magnifique, the formidable....fanfare....Ben Webster!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey Stu, I'm afraid I missed that one.

Would anyone care to find the next one? John, Teddy, Colin, Gord? Seems like Stu and I have been the only ones posting here lately.