Whoozis playing quiz

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Looks like it's just the two of us on this thread, Stu.

Re your track, is that Peterson?

stu

No, not Peterson,Mat. This one came before him and Peterson was influenced by him. Peterson was once qouted that he was 'scared to death!' by this man's playing.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Initially I thought of Art Tatum. So, is it him?

Dorsetmike

Try this then, four snips from one big band LP, so you should have some clues. The tunes should help with the date

Soloist/leader?

Where?

When?

Any members of the small group on Octopussy's Garden?

Attachments

• thisguyex.mp3
    921.2 KB · Views: 8
  • yestrdayex.mp3
    920 KB · Views: 6
  • octogdnex.mp3
    920 KB · Views: 4
  • lisaex.mp3
    919.6 KB · Views: 5

Dorsetmike

I'm going through my old piano discs, may have a clue on your one Stu, just thought I'd post the above in the meantime.

Dorsetmike

My guess would also be Tatum, tempo is slightly different to the version I have but same or very similar style

stu

Mike and Mat you both nailed it, Art Tatum.

Mike has thrown a tough one into the mix. Must give them a close listen. Sometimes you think you have it, but then doubt creeps in!

Dorsetmike

Sorry Stu not Peanuts, this man was about 9 years older than Peanuts, Peanuts did play in this man's band after WW2.

As for the "When" part of this one, note there are 2 Beatles numbers featured that's should narrow it down.

I could start listing some of the sidesmen but that could be too much of a giveaway. Suffice to say some members will be very familiar with the names of the sidesmen, others will probably never have heard of most if not all sidesmen, that is a bit of a twisted clue also!

Last edited:

stu

I have listened and listened to the clips Mike, and I have gone over every clarinet I can think of. I came up with three or four but couldn't be really sure.

I wil try for Benny Goodman.

Dorsetmike

BG is corect Stu, any ideas where or when recorded?

Band and Octet line ups as follows for a clue

Leader and Clarinet Benny Goodman

Saxes
Bob Burns, Roy Wilcox, Tommy Whittle, Frank Reidy, Don Honeywell

Trumpets
Kenny Baker, Bert Ezard, Tommy McQuator, Derek Healey

Trombones
Lad Busby, Johnny Marshall, Jackie Armstrong, Chris Smith

Piano
Bill McGuffie

Bass
Lenny Bush

Drums
Ronnie Stephenson

Guitar
Jud Proctor

Octet
Tommy Whittle tenor sax, Kenny Baker Tpt, George Chisholm Tbn, Bill McGuffie piano, Lennie Bush bass, Ronnie Stephenson Drums, Jud Proctor Guitar

Arrangers Wally Stott & Peter Knight

That might be a clue to where, the Beatles numbers a clue as to the date, i.e could not be earlier than .....

I would think John and maybe Gord might be able to make a good guess given those clues

stu

Mike. Not easy to verify but as far as I can make out, this session was dated in 1966. Goodman arrived here to specially record the album. The info I found was on a Jazz Professional web page under the name of Bill Francis. The Jazz Professional site is one of the most informative but for the time being it is now under reconstruction, however , all the numerous Jazz Professional Bill Francis pages are available on Google. Mention is made of the personnel you listed.

Last edited:

stu

After struggling yet again to recall how to do this, it seems that it has worked, I hope, so I decided to upload the file. Name the pianist. He played with Dizzie Gillespie, Cannonball Adderley and host of other top names, and is still very much active today.
View attachment 02 - jazz.mp3

stu

I goofed a bit again. What's new? I had 3 files and picked the wrong one. I forgot to eliminate some info from the last mp3 file making it a mite easier to identify the pianist.
Any correct answer will be awarded 5/10 instead of 10/10!! Sorry!! :smirk: