Windows 10

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Seems that is the norm for anything like this ... the core program (original release) has to install then all the updates that have occurred along the way.

Had to do all these when I had to completely restore my Win 7 OS. The original release was from 2010. Fortunately it was all covered under my Dell warranty.
Seemed like the updates took like forever to get done.

The same with Vista, on several occasions I have had to resort to a full DELL restore to fix problems that I could not fix myself, this restores the PC to the condition it was in when purchased, I just leave it switched on until all updates are current about a day then have to reload all my programs another day at least but it sure fixes things, of course you have to make sure you have done a back up of the important stuff.

teddy

Duckmeister
Well, that sums up Vista Colin. Incidentally what's the advantage of switching off automatic updates?

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
My problem stemmed not from a Win 7 update, but from a program that I installed (big mistake later on) which was supposed to improve performance and remove all the dead wood files, etc. What it did was reprogram my entire Win 7 Pro machine into thinking it was Win Vista - altered ALL of my drivers to Vista format so that printer and scanner, webcam, and all my saved software programs would no longer run. That software also changed my OS from 64 bit to 32 bit.

I would delete the drivers and try to re-install the proper Win 7 pro drivers, but the OS kept flashing up a message "you do not have the permission" ... Now wait a dog gone minute - and it got worse from that point forward.

I (eventually) received a full refund for that software ... and the only way to get things operational again was to completely reformat my machine, which Dell Support did online, and then re-install everything. Thankful now for having the Dell warranty :).

JHC

Well, that sums up Vista Colin. Incidentally what's the advantage of switching off automatic updates?

teddy
I never switch off auto updates teddy, did you run Vista ?

@ Lars does your DELL have the "DELL restore" option ?

Dorsetmike

I switch off auto updates on this PC because for some reason this PC downloads 8 updates every time I power down (even if I power down within minutes of a previous power down). The exceptions to 8 updates are whenever there are new updates (which I can tell from my laptop) I turn updates back on when I know there are new updates; this PC will then download 8 plus any new ones, so I only download updates on this machine when I know there are new ones.

Last edited:

JHC

I switch off auto updates .................................... I turn updates back on when I know there are new updates; this PC will then download 8 plus any new ones, so I only download updates on this machine when I know there are new ones.
So if there ain't any new updates they don't get downloaded, Mike that is one intelligent PC.:up:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . .@ Lars does your DELL have the "DELL restore" option ?

It probably does, but I was online with Dell tech support and they were able to do all the restoration remotely after I allowed permission to access my drive (temporarily) form an outside source.

The more I read about Win10 the less I like it ... apparently with the Win 10 Home edition there are fewer options for control of updates, etc. Then MS wants everyone to use their new browser Edge and discourages other browsers by making Edge the default one automatically.

teddy

Duckmeister
I have no problems using IE as my browser, it does not default to Edge, which I have not got my head around. And no Colin, I have never used Vista but a few years ago when my daughter was attending Canterbury Uni they installed Vista throughout the campus and it was a disaster. Nobody seemed to get on with it, there where compatibility problems with XP and as soon as they could they dumped it. An expensive mistake.

teddy

JHC

It seems we all have different problems, the things that I blamed Vista for are the fault of IE or so it seems because they have vanished since using Opera, I am tempted to try Safari but will stay away from Chrome.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
And now, bad news for Win 7 and Win 8 users: apparently, without any of us knowing it, Microsoft slipped in a couple of updates that included 'tracking' methods, similar to what is featured in Win 10. I blast Microsoft for even thinking of doing this - all in the name of getting user feedback on Windows products.

There were/are several updates:
  • KB 3022456 installed DiagTrack; aka CEIP
  • KB 3068708 same as KB 3022456 but with updates;
  • KB 3075249
  • KB 3080149

One can uninstall any of the above KB updates by going to your
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features menu and right clicking the update. I don't know what other things might be affected if doing so. My Win 7 Pro machine only had the KB 3022456 installed.

One can disable DiagTrack by going to any of the MS Office products (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc) and change the option to not be tracked:

Open the MS Office program, go to Options >> Trust Center (click on that) >> Privacy Options. Uncheck the box next to "Sign up for the Customer Experience Improvement Program". Doing so will change that selection for all of your MS Office applications.

Disable "diagtrackrunner.exe" (if it is there) from running processes in the Task Manager window.

To stop future auto downloading of this "gotcha" from MS, you can change the way you receive/install updates from "auto" to "ask me every time" and select only those that you want/need.

Source:
Forbes Tech article;
CNET tech advice.

JHC

Not much to choose between MS and Google by the sound of it Lars, I wonder if they did the same with Vista? Perhaps try something else.

JHC

Yeh I think you are right Mike stick with what you are happy with until all the problems have been sorted.

Dorsetmike

Since when did Microsloth ever solve all their problems

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Sticking to Win7 as well ... it works for me and everything I need to do online or offline. I even drive an 11 year old car - I bought it new in 2004 and it still serves me well and gets me to where I need to go ... I can live without all the latest bells and whistles.

The more I read about "Microsloth" the more I am disliking that company ... now they, without telling users of Win7 or Win8, have installed software (in one of the updates) to track our usage much in the same fashion that they do in Win10.

I found those files and deleted same. Now I am stuck in an endless loop with MS updates where the machine keeps asking me to shut down to install updates when in fact there are no updates to install. Thanks, Microcrap, for nothing.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Mike, they were:

• KB 3022456 installed DiagTrack; aka CEIP
  • KB 3068708 same as KB 3022456 but with updates;
  • KB 3075249
  • KB 3080149

Dorsetmike

Would there be any difference due to different versions of 7 like Pro or Home, 64 bit or 32 bit? I have 7 Pro 64, I found the last 2 on pro 64bit, and last 3 on Home premium 64 bit, I've yet to look at the laptop which also has pro 64.

teddy

Duckmeister
Have to admit I have had no problems with 10 concerning stability or anything else. Faster than 7 and a hell of a lot better than 8. Maybe I am not demanding (well I have been married for 35 years) or maybe I am not running any complicated software like you guys.

teddy