your favorite Tchaikovsky

janny108

I am a big fan of Tchaikovsky.
I really like his Symphonies 1,4, and 6. Also Hamlet, Voyevoda.
Jan

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Surprisingly, he is not one of my top favourites, even though I love romantic music and melodies. That said, we do have his most important works, inclusing all symphonies and concertos. My favourite is clearly his violin concerto, although I also have a soft spot for his Serenade for strings.

Deeru Piotr

First piano concerto, fourth and sixth symphony, and Swan lake that brings me back to childhood in a magic way

rojo

(Ret)
Swan Lake
Nutcracker
Symphony No.4
Symphony No.6
Piano Concerto No.1
Violin Concerto
Romeo and Juliet
Marche Slave
1812 Overture

If I remember correctly, I also like stuff from Sleeping Beauty, Francesca Da Rimini and Eugene Onegin.

Kromme

I love every note he had written but i love the 4th symphony most.Especially the finale of the first movement.Then comes Nutcracker,Violin concerto,5th symphony,Romeo & Juliet,Francesca da Rimini

JohnM

Piano Concerto No. 2 (Fantastic!) and the 5th and 6th symphonies

And when I want something light, his ballets are still remarkable if over-exposed

some guy

Well, now I know that Deeru Piotr had a happier childhood than I did.:) Tchaikovsky takes ME back to childhood, too--his is the only music that can make me physically ill.:(

Too bad, too. When I was a child, and enjoying Tchaikovsky, I liked all of it, especially the second piano concerto, Manfred, and Swan Lake.

Now, I can only tolerate Souvenir de Florence.:cry:

rojo

(Ret)
That is a shame, some guy.

Tchaikovsky has to be one of the finest melodists ever. Probably among the top 5, along with Schubert, Mozart and a couple of others. :p

John Curtin

Love the ballets, except Nutcracker, which I could do without.

Sounds like you need to listen to the Intrada from the pas de deux in Act 2 again :). I'm not big on Tchaikovsky but every time I hear that I know that the world is a better place for having had him in it.

ses

I like most of Thaikovsky’s music. Even the 2 first symphonies, they are charmers. No 3 is too long. Many of his melodies are matchless, hear them only once and you can’t forget them.
I like his pianotrio, it’s a long pieces but with the right musicians it is very fine listening.
The other day we played the bmoll concerto with Pogorelich, in his hands it still works.

Phillip Wilcher

I adore Tschaikowsky - the 6th Symphony and Romeo and Juliet especially. God really gave him the gift of melody - very very beautiful!

Fretless

I rarely listen to Tchaikovsky any more, but when I was a child I loved the last two movements of the fourth symphony. When I got to college, I learned to love the violin concerto and the 5th symphony. I never had the opportunity to play his music until after college, when I finally got to play the fourth and fifth symphonies and gained a new perspective and respect for his music.

The main melody of the first movement of the fourth symphony is amazing in its construction--shape, length, rhythm.
Strangely, I've never been able to really get into the 6th, even though that seems to be the one that most people would die for.

janny108

I like the 4th symphony too, the 3rd movement is cool. Seems like every symphony he does ends with a big bang! LOL I like the 1st symphony and it ends that way too with a bang. In fact, the 4th movements of the 1st and 4th are a bit similiar, the violins towards the end anyways.
I like the 1st movement of the 6th symphony, just can't seem to get into the rest of it.
Jan

janny108

I like most of Thaikovsky’s music. Even the 2 first symphonies, they are charmers. No 3 is too long. Many of his melodies are matchless, hear them only once and you can’t forget them.
I like his pianotrio, it’s a long pieces but with the right musicians it is very fine listening.
The other day we played the bmoll concerto with Pogorelich, in his hands it still works.

I downloaded the 1st and 2nd symphony's in fact all 6. I like the "Little Russian theme" in the 2nd movement.
Jan

janny108

I have heard Dvorak's 6th symphony and to be honest it made me sleepy.
Big time. I like his music too.
Jan

JLS

Love the ballets, except Nutcracker, which I could do without.

I was never a huge fan of Nutcracker, either, until I heard Gergiev's. He really brings out the intensely colorful musicality of the work that goes unseen in the sickly-sweet westernized traditional interpretation.

Well recorded, too.

Kromme

I was never a huge fan of Nutcracker, either, until I heard Gergiev's. He really brings out the intensely colorful musicality of the work that goes unseen in the sickly-sweet westernized traditional interpretation.

Well recorded, too.

Strange indeed.I particularly dislike the Gergiev version.It is too fast for my tastes.I like Jansons and Previn way better.