a music rest: how much is it?

janny108

I have a piece of music in 9/8 time. It has rests that look like an upside down rectangle with a dot next to it. How much of a rest is it?
Jan

rojo

(Ret)
Well, in 9/8 time, the eighth note is worth one beat, and there are nine beats per measure. Now is the rectangle with the dot next to it sitting on the third line, or dangling form the fourth?

Andrew Roussak

I believe it must be a half rest with a point, that is 2 crochets plus one more ,which is three fourths, or 6 eights.
Cheers, Andrew

janny108

Well, in 9/8 time, the eighth note is worth one beat, and there are nine beats per measure. Now is the rectangle with the dot next to it sitting on the third line, or dangling form the fourth?

It's on the 3rd line on top. Also there is a rest with a squiggly line with a dot on lines 2-4.
Jan

NEB

Sounds to me like 9/8 most likely divides into 3 groups of three quavers or 3 beats per bar.

A standard Crotchet rest with a dot (which adds half to the duration) will equal one group of 3 quavers i.e. 1 beat. The Box reffered to be a minim rest with a dot (which as we know adds half to the duration) which would equal two groups of 3 quavers or two beats.

Andrew Roussak

Sounds to me like 9/8 most likely divides into 3 groups of three quavers or 3 beats per bar.

A standard Crotchet rest with a dot (which adds half to the duration) will equal one group of 3 quavers i.e. 1 beat. The Box reffered to be a minim rest with a dot (which as we know adds half to the duration) which would equal two groups of 3 quavers or two beats.

CORRECT!!!