• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Favourite Organ Videos

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Argoth,

Yes indeed - Vierne is another composer I like to play. Where and what is the instrument in this recording - I don't recognize the building or console.

Argoth

Argoth,

Yes indeed - Vierne is another composer I like to play. Where and what is the instrument in this recording - I don't recognize the building or console.

I heard this particular piece at a recital in my Uni last week and it was love at first listen. I don't know what the particular instrument is, the video just says Latry at MUPA organ 2006, though Google doesn't give me anything. Whatever the instrument is, I personally don't like the look of the console though.

Here's an improvisation with Olivier Latry and Phillipe Lefebrve at the same event:

[YOUTUBE]kmXMSfxWXP8[/YOUTUBE]

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Thanks to Thomas Dressler for submitting the video with Vincent Dubois at St. Sulpice. What a gorgeous instrument and what a sound it makes!!! I acquired a copy of a CD with Dubois playing, among other things, Mozart K.608. That kid can rock with that piece - nice to see young talent as prodigious as this.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . . . I don't know what the particular instrument is, the video just says Latry at MUPA organ 2006 . . . Whatever the instrument is, I personally don't like the look of the console though.

Went searching ... using 'mupa' and with some deductive reasoning within my online sources, found the instrument - It's in the concert hall Muveszetek Palotaja (without all the special Hungarian letter characters I don't have) located in Budapest, Hungary. 150 rks, 5 manuals - and yes I quite agree the console is unattractive, but seems quite functional.

methodistgirl

Wow!:eek: That organ was huge! Five racks not counting the footpedals.
How would someone play an organ that size? Like I said the one at my
church is much smaller with only two racks and footpedals.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Playing a 5 manual organ is not as difficult as it seems. The one I played (Mormon Tabernacle) was delightful - nice to have more than the normal 2 manuals.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Corno Dolce,

WOW :cheers: What a fantastic site that is - nice to get some close-up views of those consoles, especially the Naval Academy console. Makes my church console look like a tinker-toy :grin:. Thanks for sharing this with the community.

Corno Dolce

Hello Krummhorn,

It is my honor, duty, and a pleasure to have shared that website with the community.

Respectfully,

Corno Dolce :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Btw, I was thinking that some might get a kick in seeing the mammoth console at the Navy Chapel. The six manual console in WV ain't to shabby either.

Argoth

Here's another version of Vierne's Carillon played by Philippe Delacour, I quite enjoyed this because it gives you some very good shots of the organ and internals:

[YOUTUBE]BU4yvKuR1uc[/YOUTUBE]

Corno Dolce

Hi Argoth,

Thanx for posting that Delacour video - he does a nice interpreation of that piece.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Pacific 231

Thank you Argoth,
I am very please here in this forum, and seing this beautifull pictures interpretation of Vierne is confirminging me what I enjoy myself a lot by Magle International Music Forum. Thanks again:):):)

Argoth

Since it's halloween and all, here's a halloween performance of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (BWV 565) by Cameron Carpenter:

[youtube]aAxAqDTanys[/youtube]

Obviously executed in a spirit of showmanship over being a purist, since it's a fairly different interpretation.

Last edited: