• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Is organ building dead where you live?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Falcon1

thanks for the beautiful links and photos ... I love the fact that that last organ has the swell division at the facade AND the normally hidden diaposons on display ... !!

does the church's name translate to "Our Father's" ?

falcon1

I'd also be interested to hear what the brutally cold winters' affect is on church organs.

Forgot to answer this question...

in Iceland almost all churches and houses in general are heated, either with electricity or hot water which we have plenty of here. So the cold winters doesn't affect the organs much, except if the heating stops working. Then it will be like a tenor singer when someone grabs his balls hard hehe... :)

methodistgirl

I didn't notice the trumpet pipes at the top of this magnificient organ!
I will say that it is even more beautiful.
Judy tooley

Pacific 231

Not fare of my place there is an old Abbey who is now a cultural centre, and there is a building new organ in the baroque original like was earlier organ in the 18th century and disappears at the revolution time. When I will have more information’s I give you news. But for who can read French, here is news from the homepage of our local radio (RFJ - Radio Fréquence Jura) with a picture where will be fit the new organ http://www.rfj.ch/rfj/Actualite/Regionale/291107L_orgue_de_Bellelay_bientot_dans_ses_murs.html

falcon1

I didn't notice the trumpet pipes at the top of this magnificient organ!
I will say that it is even more beautiful.
Judy tooley
Yes, they sure do add "spice" to the design. :)

Btw. I just recently got the news that they are thinking about enlarge the organ by connecting a separate choir organ to it. :D

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Falcon1,

WOW!!! A choir organ connected to the main organ? That will certainly be a humdinger. :grin::grin::grin: Thank you for the late-breaking news.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

falcon1

Hi Corno, yes that will be humdinger for sure hehehe.... :D - I'm looking forward to see if this will come to reality and if so to play on it Tutti hehehe.... :D

hawkan2580

There is also these North Swedish organ builders that are quite active and have been in business for about 120 years or so.. a fair few organs being built and installed all over scandinavia in recent time too
http://www.gronlunds-orgelbyggeri.se/scripts/index_eng.asp

I've personally played this one
« Back
Nederluleå - Gammelstad

Year: 1971

Great

Gedackt 16’
Principal 8’
Spetsflöjt 8’
Oktava 4’
Rörflöjt 4’
Kvinta 2 2/3’
Oktava 2’
Cornett 4 ch
Mixtur 5-7
Trumpet 16’
Trumpet 8’
Cymbelstjärna
Swell

Borduna 16’
Principal 8’
Rörflöjt 8’
Spetsgamba 8’
Vox celeste 8’
Oktava 4’
Traversflöjt 4’
Nasat 2 2/3’
Oktava 2’
Ters 1 3/5’
Waldflöjt 1’
Mixtur 5-6 ch
Fagott 16’
Trumpet 8’
Oboe 8’
Tremulant Positiv I

Gedackt 8’
Kvintadena 8’
Principal 4’
Gedacktflöjt 4’
Waldflöjt 2’
Sifflöjt 1’
Sesquialtera II ch
Scharff 3-4 ch
Dulcian 16’
Rörskalmeja 8’
Tremulant
Positiv II

Trägedackt 8’
Rörflöjt 4’
Principal 2’
Blockflöjt 2’
Kvinta 1 1/3’
Cymbel 3 ch
Vox humana 8’
Tremulant Pedal

Principal 16’
Subbas 16’
Kvinta 10 2/3’
Oktava 8’
Gedackt 8’
Oktava 4’
Koppelflöjt 4’
Nachthorn 2’
Mixtur 6 ch
Basun 16’
Trumpet 8’
Clarion 4’
7360.jpg

I'm not a church organist what so ever.. however, we needed a church organ sound on an album and they kindly let me have a go at this one for recording purposes and it was great. I have been to enough churches to tell the difference between them.. some sounds bland and uninspiring compared to others using the same stops and settings.. (found this difference to be even greater comparing choir organs.. )...

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Hawkan2580,

Thats one of the nicest contemporary looking organ cases I've ever seen. Very decent spec list, too.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Some years ago the elders and deacons of a Scotch church were assembled in solemn conclave to discuss the prospective installation of a pipe organ. The table was piled high with plans and specifications and discussion ran rife as to whether they should have a two-manual or a three-manual instrument—a Great and Swell or a Great, Swell, and Choir organ. At last Deacon MacNab, the church treasurer and a personage of importance, got a chance to speak.
"Mr. Chairman," said he, "I don't see why we should have a Great, a Swell, and a Choir organ. I think that one organ is quite enough."
Now, Deacon MacNab was a master tailor, and a good one at that; so the musical man who was pushing the thing through appealed to his professional instincts in explaining the situation by saying:
"Surely, Mr. MacNab, you would not say that a man was properly dressed with only a coat on! You would expect him to have on a coat, waistcoat and trousers!" And the day was won for the three-manual organ.