Rating The Jazz Piece Above Me

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
@ Gord, That's a fine example of blues, IMHO. I'd give it a 9/10. I really liked the way its rhythmn on the piano sort of foreshadows what was later to besome elements of the song Lady Madonna by the Beatles, at least to my untrained ears.
Now here is a more somber piece, with to my way of listening a certain "bluesy" feel to it: Esbjörn Svensson Trio – Believe, Beleft, Below

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
It says I need to have Spotify in order to listen to your link, so I'm afraid I can't rate this one for you, Steve.

teddy

Duckmeister
Bonus on this one for me Steve. I opened Spotify and there was a picture of my cousin Sean Bennett who will be joining me for Christmas.

EST Liked it. 9.0 out of ten (no suprise there).

teddy

OLDUDE

Hi Gord,
I rate the Humph record as 10/10, but for me He can do no wrong

Sorry Steve,
I must be one of the few who are indifferent to EST. Lets say 7/10 for this track

John

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
@ OLDDUDE, A 7 from you isn't too bad; I'd hate to see what you'd rate him if you really didn't like him, a la Coltrane. :scold:
Aren't you going to put up a piece for us to listen to and rate, then?

dutchmandan

@Gord Great piece! Really loved to boogie woogie swing it had. Something I can really learn from as a new jazz pianist, I give it a 9/10.
@White Knight (I take it Steve is your name?) Sorry I couldn't open that piece, it tells me Spotify isn't available in my country haha.

Here's one that I hope already hasn't been posted, I haven't been through all 13 pages yet. I love this track by Jackie Mclean, it has a really great motif, hope you like it if you haven't heard it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0JHiZkDZAw

teddy

Duckmeister
gord

Thats one foxy lady with a great voice. Loved the backing group too. Definitely a 9.

teddy

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
That's an 8 for Johnny Varro, a pianist I've not heard of before.

How much does THIS MEAN to you?

gord

hi mat, i think it was bing crosby that once said, man, woman or child, ella is the best. how can anyone argue with that statement. he was right of course. thats a 10. gord

teddy

Duckmeister
Gord. Talented player but a bit too modern for me so only an 8

DM What can I say 9.5

teddy