Unusual foods

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Hm, that does look very appetizing, much more than the crickets on stick...I wonder, does one eat the entire cricket or are you suppose to leave the legs and the head??? ;)

Muza dear :tiphat:

I believe it all depends on how hungry you are? :grin::rolleyes::grin::grin:

methodistgirl

I still prefer the salad. It looks better than what I just had. Enchilada
anyone with hot chillies?:devil: Whew! My mouth is still on fire.:p:cry: I don't
like hot!
judy tooley

methodistgirl

That looks good! I like romain noodles fried in a little olive oil after I
have boiled them and add veggies. Yum!:p
judy tooley

greatcyber

Since being in Canada I have marveled at all the wonderfully exotic foods available here. I like the fact that the government will not allow hormones and antibiotics in many things such as milk. Kids can stay kids longer, etc.

But I did get sort of a strange feeling the other day when I was looking in the meat section and found ground horse. Say it isn't so. Oh, poor Mr. Ed!

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi greatcyber,

The hormornes have been used to accelerate the growth of the cows and steers - Free-range cows and steers are better than those boxed-in creatures pumped with hormones - the antibiotics help to control virological and bacteriological vectors from infecting humans, so I would not advocate the disuse of antibiotics. But in all honesty, why are humans the only mammals that are drinking milk long into adulthood?

I drink soymilk and am more fit because of it - there are several brands which have no bland or yucky taste. Yes, there may be some issues with very young infants drinking soymilk but drinking regular or low-fat varieties should not have to go on after 5 years of age.

You can get the calcium your body needs by tablets or those yummy chocolate flavored Calcium chewables. The other vitamins you get by fresh fruit and vegetables or vitamin supplements in tablet or liquid form.

Cheers,

CD :):):):):):):)

Last edited:

marval

Well the food might not be unusual, but the price definately is.

A Chinese investment fund manager won the chance to have lunch with billionaire Warren Buffett by bidding 2.1 million dollars (£1.05m) in the most expensive charity auction ever held on eBay.
Zhao Danyang of the Hong Kong-based Pureheart China Growth Investment Fund won the auction, which ended with a bid of 2,110,100 dollars.
A spokeswoman for the Glide Foundation, which receives all the proceeds from the auction, identified the winner.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
The whole thing about drinking milk is rather odd, I must say. We are the only species that actively brings up our young on the milk of another species AND continue drinking the stuff well into adulthood (some of us don't ever give it up).

I do remember as a child, being on a farm in northern Victoria (Wangaratta) where friends of my parents breed Angus cattle (predominantly for beef). I clearly remember drinking milk fresh from the cows, it was warm, sweet and tasted sooooooooooo much better than pasteurised, defatted, and generally buggered-around-with milk we buy in cartons at the supermarket.

greatcyber

You guys are right about the milk thing. I only use it in cooking. I agree that soy is probably better. I definitely think that free roaming is much better than caged.

As to cost, I find the price of most foods here to be waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy less than we paid in the states. As a testament to the difference in taste, I rarely ate red meat in the states, choosing instead chicken and pork. But since being here, I have developed a taste for the red meat (but still not Mr. Ed) and don't feel all bloated and weighted down after eating it. I also now enjoy fish, which I never used to and eat it several times per week. I have also made duck. Not sure if I can brave the poor, little rabbit carcasses I see in the store, however.

Stephen

intet_at_tabe

Stephen,

Here´s the solution for the need of milk as well as the mobile red meat need, always ready and at hand:

193-cowcodriver.jpg

intet_at_tabe

I thought you guys would eat anything - usual or unusual. So dinner is ready at your convenience:

Someone did not prepare this raw monkey for supper. Someone, who must have been without food for months - Morals of the human beings and nature, or not?

Last edited:

marval

Well I personally prefer food to taste like it should, so the following news did not impress me.

A new variety of melon that tastes like a lemon is to go on sale in the UK.
The new melon resembles the honeydew variety but has the "zesty, fresh" taste of a lemon, Tesco said.
The fruit is grown in Spain and is the product of 12 years of trials, the retailer said. It goes on sale this week for £1.99 each.

And how about an unusual drink.

Japan, now entering its annual eel-eating frenzy, has come up with a handy alternative, a fizzy drink based on the fish.
Japan Tobacco said that "Surging eel" drink, which hit the nation's stores this month, contains eel extract, along with five essential vitamins, for "exhausted Japanese men".
The Japanese traditionally eat eel during the official eel holidays, which fall on July 24 and August 5 this year.