What classical music did you listen to today?

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Ludwig Van Beethoven--Symphony No.5 in C Minor, Op.67 and Symphony No.7 in A major, Op.92. Carlos Klieber conducts the Vienna Philharmonicfor both works.
Peter Tchaikovsky--Symphony No.4 in F Minor, Op.36, performed by the Berlin Philharmonic under the baton of Herbert von Karajan. What a joyous and uplifting final movement to this work, in stark contrast to the 4th movement of his Pathetique!

White Knight

Peter Tchaikovsky--Symphony No.5 in E Moll, Op.64 and Symphony No.6 in B Moll, Op.74 {"Pathetique"}. Both works are performed by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Herbert von Karajan.
Jean Sibelius--Symphony No.2 in D major, Op. 43 and Finlandia, Op.26. Both works are conducted by Zubin Mehta leading the New York Philharmonic.

White Knight

Dmitri Shostakovich--Symphony No.7 in C major, Op.60 {"Leningrad"}, performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Bernard Haitnik.
Serge Prokofiev--Symphony No.1 in D major, Op.25 {"Classical"} and Symphony No.5 in B Flat Major, Op.100. Both works are done by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra led by James Levine.
Benjamin Britten--4 Sea Interludes and
LudwigVanBeethoven--Symphony No.7 in A Major, Op.92. Both works are performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Leonard Bernstein. This turned out to be his final concert before he died some 2 months later.

White Knight

Johannes Brahms--Symphony No.3 in F Dur, Op.90, performed by the Vienna Philharmonic under the baton of James Levine.
Ludwig Van Beethoven--Symphony No.5 in C Moll, Op.67 and Symphony No.7 in A Dur, Op.92. Both works are conducted by Carlos Kleiber, who conducts the Vienna Philharmonic.

Dorsetmike

Last.fm just served me up with two interpretations of one of my favourite works Bach Passacaglia and Fugue BWV582, one by Douglas Amrine on pedal harpsichord, the other Lionel Rogg (on organ)

Sensory overload?

White Knight

Ludwig Van Beethoven--Symphony No.2 in D Major, Op.36 and Symphony No.7 in A major, Op.92. Both are performed by the New York Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein.
Antonin Dvorak--Symphony No.9 in E Moll, Op.95 {"From the New World"}, playedbytheClevelandOrchestra under the baton of Christoph Von Dohnanyi. This is fast becoming one of my favorite works, right up there along with the 7th of Beethoven and Shostakovich {"Leningrad"}.
Jean Sibelius--Symphony No.2 in D Major, Op.43 and Symphony No.6 in D Moll, Op.104. Both are performed by the London Symphony Orchestra led by Sir Colin Davis.
Benjamin Britten--4 Sea Interludes from the opera Peter Grimes, Op.33, with Leonard Bernstein conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
Ludwig Van Beethoven--Symphony No.2 in D major, Op.36 and Symphony No.7 in A Major, Op.92. Both pieces are performed by the New York Philharmonic under the baton of Leonard Bernstein. Simply cannot get over the beauty and simplicity of that second movement from the 7th! :grin:

White Knight

Benjamin Britten--4 Sea Interludes from the opera Peter Grimes, Op.33
Ludwig Van Beethoven--Symphony No.7 in A Major, Op.92
Both of the above were performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Leonard Bernstein.
Peter Tchaikovsky--Symphony No.4 in F Minor, Op.36 and Symphony No.5 in E Minor, Op.64. Both works were performed by the Berliner Philharmo****r conducted by Herbert von Karajan.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Benjamin Britten--4 Sea Interludes from the opera Peter Grimes, Op.33

You are a brave man Steve, Britten is not the easiest composer to get on with, in particular his Opera's did you like it? I don't. Some of his instrumental works are very good though.

White Knight

Colin, I'm not much for operas either. The cd I have with Britten only has 4 instrumental pieces--The Sea Interludes--from his opera Peter Grimes, not the whole opera. The rest of the cd contains Bernstein's last appearance before he died, conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra in Beethoven's magnificent 7th Symphony. I am intrigued by Britten's intrumental music as evidenced thru his Interludes--some of them remind me of Holst's palnet suite. I intend to look into some of his symphonies or other programmatic music he might have composed. Do you have any recommendations in this regard?
Hope you and yours are well.

JHC

Steve I only have his more popular works a couple of CD's I can only suggest that you explore and see what you think.

White Knight

Steve I only have his more popular works a couple of CD's I can only suggest that you explore and see what you think.
Absolutely, Colin. I've already begun looking on Amazon and putting my "Britten cart" together. I'm also looking to buy Walton's First Symphony, again from Amazon.

Last edited:

White Knight

Peter Tchaikovsky--Symphony No.6 in B Minor, Op.74 {"Pathetique"}, performed by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Herbert von Karajan.
Serge Prokofiev--Symphony No.1 in D Major, Op.25 {"Classical"}, and Symphony No.5 in B Flat Major, Op.100. Both works are performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by James Levine.

Last edited:

JHC

Steve,For what it's worth, The 'Penguin guide to classical music' is a reference book that any lover of classical music should have http://www.classicalcdguide.com/main/books.htm it was my Bible for years it covers and analyses all major recordings and gives recommendations, I trusted in this implicitly over the years it saved me purchasing below par recordings and is extremely well thought of in the music world.

White Knight

Colin, you must have been reading my mind. That is one of the books I have been planning to buy for awhile since my recent immersion into and enthusiasm for classical music. I think I'll ask my wife to buy it for me as one of my birthday presents next month. Thanks so much for mentioning it!

JHC

How much does a normal classical CD cost in the US? when I was purchasing and not d/l I would pay from NZ$15 for Naxos and up to $40 for premium labels now I know where most of my money went

GoneBaroque

How much does a normal classical CD cost in the US? when I was purchasing and not d/l I would pay from NZ$15 for Naxos and up to $40 for premium labels now I know where most of my money went

In my experience normal classical CDs can be easily found for under $20.00 USD and Naxos for usually under $10.00. Much depends, of course, where you go.

Rob

White Knight

Benjamin Britten--4 Sea Interludes from the opera Peter Grimes, Op.33, performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra led by Leonard Bernstein.
Sergei Prokofiev--Symphony No.6 in E-Flat Minor, Op.111, Overture on Hebrew Themes, Op.34bis and The Love for Three Oranges, Op.33bis. All 3 works are performed by the National Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Leonard Slatkin.
Sergei Prokofiev--Symphony No.1 in D major, Op.25 {"Classical"} and Symphony No.5 in B-Flat Major, Op.100. Both works are performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by James Levine.
Sergei Rachmaninoff--Piano Concerto No.2 in C Moll, Op.18 and Piano Concerto No.3 in D Moll, Op.30. Both works are performed by the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Leonard Slatkin. Abbey Simon is the featured pianist.

White Knight

Ludwig Van Beethoven--Symphony No.2 in D Major, Op.36 and Symphony No.7 in A Major, Op.92. Both works are performed by the New York Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein.