what is your latest cd purchase?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
5 CD set "Second Vienesse School" featuring Rattle, Berling Phil and City of Birmingham, includes the monsterous and absurd Gurrelieder, which I'm growing fonder of each listening.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
David, The Birmingham S.O plays well under our Simone don't you think

OLDUDE

Hi Colin,
ref your post of Mar 3rd,
Sorry but my link was obvious as stated, as within forum threads .
I dont do web links 'cos I dont know how.
Sad but I'm too old to bother with youtube etc.
Gettig back to the real subject;
I have tonight downloaded a great CD - (Bob Wilber's Tribute to Coleman Hawkins - Bean).
I listened to it on Spotify and rated it suitable for Download.

Cheers John

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Two recordings by the Male Voice Choir of St. Sergius Monastery in Sergiev Posad which is 1 hr 15 mins north of Moscow by Train. Definitely one of the best Male Voice Choirs to be found anywhere.

teddy

Duckmeister
Enjoyed your links John. One of my failings is I do not like covers of the Beatles music. I enjoyed their music too much I suppose. Nothing wrong with her voice or playing. I will spotify her.

teddy

OLDUDE

yesterday I downloaded the following CD;

"Chapter 1" by a Jon-Erik Kellso sextet.
Personel were J-E K. (tr), Scott Robinson (ten,cl),Jeremy Kahn (p), Frank Vignola (gu),
Milt Hinton (b), Chuck Riggs (dr).

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
David, The Birmingham S.O plays well under our Simone don't you think

Hey Colin, sorry I took so long to respond to this. Not ignoring you, promise.

Look, the City of Birmingham Symphony under Rattle (at its best) was probably a better band than the London Symphony dare I say. I've never been dissapointed with any of thier recordings I've heard. I especially love their performance of Daphnis et Chlöe, it is translucent and gorgoues, light and serene, thunderous but never pompous. Probably my favourite.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Two recordings by the Male Voice Choir of St. Sergius Monastery in Sergiev Posad which is 1 hr 15 mins north of Moscow by Train. Definitely one of the best Male Voice Choirs to be found anywhere.

There's just something amazing about Russian men (and women) they have such deep, resonant voices, don't they?

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Hey Colin, sorry I took so long to respond to this. Not ignoring you, promise.

Look, the City of Birmingham Symphony under Rattle (at its best) was probably a better band than the London Symphony dare I say. I've never been dissapointed with any of thier recordings I've heard. I especially love their performance of Daphnis et Chlöe, it is translucent and gorgoues, light and serene, thunderous but never pompous. Probably my favourite.
No offence taken David, I must get a d/l for Daphnis et Chlöe I have not heard them play that.

gord

i bought john coltrane-standards- impulse (cd) this cd is nice,but a little too much soprano sax for me. i prefer coltrane on the tenor sax. gord

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
i bought john coltrane-standards- impulse (cd) this cd is nice,but a little too much soprano sax for me. i prefer coltrane on the tenor sax. gord

Sounds great, gord. On how many cuts is he playing tenor as opposed to soprano sax?

gord

coltrane plays five on tenor a nd five on soprano. like i said, i prefer the tenor, but dont mind his soprano and one of my favorite tracks greensleeves is played on soprano, a marvellous version with backing by an allstar big band. gord

OLDUDE

A bit belated Gord, but for no good reason I was tracking back through this thread and came across your link of April 4th to the Patricia Barber Quartet playing Witchcraft . I'd never heard of her or her group before but was totally entranced.
Now I am seeking more - thank you

cheers John

gord

hi john,i had not heard of patricia barber until recently. i am now a big fan and looking for her cds. gord

gord

mark murphy-crazy rhythm-his debut recordings--decca
mark murphy-thats how i love the blues--riverside
gord