New version of Piano Orchestration piece

AndreasvanHaren

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] Hi,
I made a new version of my orchestrated piano piece "After work, Late at Night".

Here are the links to the mp3 and the pdf:

"After work, late at night" - mp3:
http://www.box.net/shared/6f7wokl9co

"After work, late at night" - pdf:
http://www.box.net/shared/vr6l5ytc04

I put the piece in a higher key, so the oboe wouldn't be so low and thick in his solo, and the horn not so high (after putting it an octave lower as well).
i added some new strings parts and redid the woodwind section. I believe it's much more interesting now. This time, the mp3 isn't a midi bounce but played in on my piano into Garageband, using the Orchestra jam pack.

Like always, I love to hear comments to take out the errors.

André[/FONT][/FONT]

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I'm really impressed with the sound of the strings (especially) in the sampled music, what package did you use for that?

thanks

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Andreas, thanks (I use a Mac, too). I'll have to look into that because the generic strings that come with Finale are woeful.

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
I[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] put the piece in a higher key, so the oboe wouldn't be so low and thick in his solo, and the horn not so high (after putting it an octave lower as well).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]i added some new strings parts and redid the woodwind section. I believe it's much more interesting now. This time, the mp3 isn't a midi bounce but played in on my piano into Garageband, using the Orchestra jam pack.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Like always, I love to hear comments to take out the errors.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]André[/FONT][/FONT]

Hi André.

Now we're "cooking". :)
This is much more in the orchestral idiom than your first draft. Very good!
There are still some passages which could benefit from further thought.
The horn part in mm. 6-14 is ok - but a first impression of mine while I heard it the first time was: why isn't this part played by the bassoon here? It would make a very nice compliment to the oboe in the beginning, and it would really be greate on the semi-high bassoon. In my opinion anyway.:)

In calm (p og pp) passages think of reducing the orchestration instead. M. 25 is very "busy" - and the dim. towards m 27, while written, would, I think, be better approached in a reduction of playing parts.
The wind-accomp. in mm. 28-> is very simpel yet effective.
Again the horn part in mm. 32->, while adding another dimension to the theme juest played is perhaps a little too low. :) yeah I know... too low? - the horn is most effective as a p(iano)-solo instrument a third/fourth or so and higher. But then again... maybe this part here is ok... hmm...
The brasssection following is great - and with a nice string accomp./filler/answer - as with m. 19-22 - but maybe you could omit the strings in this first part and let the brass stand on its own?
The part from m. 42 is a little uncohesive - the "fall" in the horn would be more interesting with some more instruments following it - it sounds a little "vague" here.
M. 45-> is very nice - the tremolo in the violins is a very good idea - maybe it could last a few more measures?
The ending sounds a little off to me - it seems to me to be more harmony than melody.

Just some thoughts on a very nice job!

Cheers.
Thomas

AndreasvanHaren

Thanks Thomas! Nice to read all these little details. I will have a look at it and see if it gives me some new ideas.

Best wishes,
André

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Nice work, André

A new facet of your multi talented composition skills ... We surely appreciate your sharing of these pieces with this forum community. Always enjoy listening and being able to follow scores - gives me a greater amount of appreciation for your work.

AndreasvanHaren

Thanks, I'm working on another piano piece now, trying more things out with the orchestration. Very interesting excursion. I will post it when I have it ready.

André

AndreasvanHaren

Here is the final version ( I think) of my first piano piece, "After work". I made a lot of changes and did some layout cleaning.

I am working on my second piano piece now, "Cat's play" I orchestrated the first part of it by now and working on the next. I will post it here when I finish it.

André