Angela Hewitt Plays Beethoven

Todd

I can still be surprised. Generally speaking, I’m not a big fan of Angela Hewitt. I’ve heard some of her Bach, and some of her Ravel (the latter only whilst browsing at a CD store), and what I have heard has never really intrigued me very much; I’ve never felt prompted to rush out and gobble up all of her discs. But then she recorded some Beethoven. At some point I knew I would have to get the disc. When the opportunity arose to pick it for around $8 or so, I acted upon my knowledge. I was surprised.

I like this disc. It’s not a great disc, and none of the recordings on the disc really match up to the best I’ve heard in the three works on the disc, but there’s something there. The set opens with the great seventh sonata, and in most ways this recording offers all the virtues and drawbacks of the set. On the plus side is Hewitt’s lean, clear sonority married to superb rhythmic drive and groove. She reminds me of Friedrich Gulda and Bruce Hungerford in this regard, though I must say right away that she is ultimately no match for either of those pianists. On the down side, she never really plumbs any emotional depths. What that means in more practical terms is a Presto that while conventional in overall tempo still contains a rhythmic pulse to keep one groovin’. Hewitt’s dynamic range and variation within that range sounds nice, too. Again, she reminds me of Gulda in applying a limited interpretive range, though she never does what he does with it. The Largo e mesto stays on the swift side of a Largo and maintains a sort of musical tension, though it never really creates the sense of tragedy or intensity that the best readings do, except for a few times in the second section where the playing sounds like a vigorous lamentation at times. The Menuetto is taken at a nice, safe tempo, but with a rhythmic sureness that works well, while the concluding Rondo sounds generally well executed if not special, at least most of the time. Hewitt pushes the penultimate fast section, especially the intro, to nice effect, though. A good, solid, energizing reading, then, but not a world-beater.

The Op 7 is not a world-beater, either, but it comes close to being a world-matcher. Generally, I prefer a more relaxed approach to this work, but some players make me reconsider that preference. Hewitt does just that. The Allegro molto e con brio is brisk, pointed, lean, with fetching sforzandi and pleasing staccato, creating a youthful, masculine sound. Some of Hewitt’s playing detours briefly into some slower, more (surface) contemplative playing that offers nice contrast to the surrounding material. For the Largo con gran espressione, Hewitt’s definitely got the ‘gran,’ and the ‘Largo’ mostly, but I’m not sold on the ‘espressione.’ It moves forward comparatively quickly, utilizes short (refreshingly so!) pauses, nice dynamics, and a number of nice touches, like the powerful chords followed by quickly tapered, repeated three-note figurations. It’s incisive, it’s cutting, it’s good. How expressive, and of what, is up to each listener. The Allegro, it should come as no surprise, is fast and incisive and clear. It could be a touch lighter, I suppose, but I like it. Hewitt caps off a very strong reading with a Rondo possessed of charm and puckish rubato. It’s all very youthful, and then she delivers the middle section in fast and biting fashion just because. In some ways, the parts are more than the sum, but overall, this is the highlight of the disc.

The disc closes with the Appassionata, and given what came before I had moderately high hopes. Hewitt largely delivers, but not as much as I had hoped for. The Allegro assai opens in suitably brooding fashion, and Hewitt tears into the faster, more explosive music with élan and aggressiveness – a good thing to do here. The punchy middle and lower registers and biting upper registers really add to the allure of the playing, and while Hewitt manages excellent clarity most of the time, the most pressed passages sound smudged every so often. But that’s quite alright, she’s pressing the matter; the forward moving, “fresh” playing sounds largely scoured of color and emphasizes the frenetic and kinetic aspects of the music. Hewitt approaches the Andante in much the same fashion. As a result, it sounds a bit cool, and the rhythmic and dynamic elements become almost the sole focus, creating an itchy feel. So far, so good, actually. Hewitt runs out of gas a bit in the concluding Allegro ma non troppo. Given the first two movements, I expected a High Octane, blistering take. There’s some of that alright, just not enough. Drive, energy, and rhythm remain to the fore, and that bright, lean, cutting Fazioli upper register pays off here, but more is needed. There’s just not quite enough, that’s all I can say. Those wanting a beefy, rich, Grand experience definitely need to listen elsewhere; those wanting something smaller and leaner and meaner, here you go.

So I’m surprised. I like this disc. No, it won’t assume a place next to Annie or Gulda or any of the other usual suspects, but there’s more than enough there for me to consider another LvB disc by Hewitt if she records one. I’m thinking she would do well in 2/1, 10/1, 22, 31/3, and, perhaps somewhat against possible expectations, Op 90. It’ll be interesting to see if that is true. Sound is superb, if more distant than I generally prefer, and one must be willing to listen to Hewitt’s Fazioli, with its clear, color-drained, dry tone. My ear adjusted readily enough, but not everyone’s will.

Todd

I enjoyed Angela Hewitt’s first volume of Beethoven’s piano sonatas, with its emphasis on clarity and rhythmic drive, so I thought I might as well give her second volume a try. Different works, but the overall style should work. But what if Hewitt’s style was slightly altered?

Well, that’s what seems to have happened here. Her playing isn’t much different, but it’s different enough. Her slight stylistic adjustments appear in the first work, the great Pastorale. Sure, the Allegro displays Hewitt’s nice rhythmic sense, and has nice clarity where appropriate, and has a slightly edgy middle section, but it also sounds a bit softer. Hewitt deploys smooth legato to soften the Fazioli sound, and the effect is quite positive. The Andante has a brisk, clipped sound at the open, yet still manages to sound pleasant – albeit with slight nervous edge. The middle section is jocular and nicely dynamic and has just a hint of bite. The Scherzo sounds somewhat stark as presented, with some abruptly clipped notes and terse dynamic shifts, and it all sounds fine. The Allegro ma non troppo is taken at a quick but graceful tempo, making it sound full of pep and joy, yet it’s also slightly smoothed out. A nicely accelerated ending caps off a very nice reading. The first work ends up being the highlight of the disc.

The Pathetique ends up being the relative weak link, and it is so because of the same soft sound that permeates the opening work. The Grave sounds small and weak, at least when compared to more vigorous readings. There’s little intensity and no real flair. The Allegro di molto con brio sounds much the same, with a slightly leisurely overall tempo added to the mix. The second time around with the material picks up the pace and the intensity a bit, but it never really excites or digs deep. The Adagio cantabile is taken at a nice tempo and is surprising for the more or less total lack of bite that should be present in a recording of a Fazioli. Sure, it’s still bright-ish up top, but it doesn’t sting or tingle. The concluding Rondo is played pleasantly enough, but is pleasant what one really wants here? Drive and strength aren’t much in evidence, and the overall sound is a tad limp. I wanted much more than I got. If you have a hankerin’ for a kinder, gentler Op 13, this will not disappoint.

The last work on the disc is the last of the opening Op 2 triptych. Hewitt’s reading is excellent overall, but she had the misfortune of being heard shortly after the much more exciting and compelling recording by Ronald Brautigam. She opens the Allegro con brio with decent levels of energy and drive, presents a nice dynamic sweep, and has a sure rhythmic sense. It’s all there. But Brautigam offers more of everything. The Adagio has some nicely delicate playing, though it seems as though it might be too soft for the music, but those tolling bass notes sure hit home. There’s a lack of ultimate focus at times, too; the playing seems to meander just a bit. The Scherzo sounds a bit broad in overall conception, but has some nice biting notes and absolutely superb clarity of voices. The Allegro assai opens in breezy, tickly fashion, and possesses decent drive mixed with the new found softness Hewitt brings. Overall, it’s good. Brautigam’s is just much better.

The second volume just doesn’t work as well as the first volume in the series, though there are some fine things here. Maybe Hewitt can pick things up next time around. Superb sound.