Musical Quotes Thread

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler
[/FONT]

Kromme

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Gustav Mahler[/FONT]
[/FONT]
That is the very essence of music i think.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
So do I.

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything"
Plato

Deeru Piotr

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
-Hunter S. Thompson

marval

"God tells me how the music should sound, but you stand in the way"

Arturo Toscanini to a trumpet player

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul."
J.S Bach

methodistgirl

If you don't think God doesn't have a good since of humor, look at
the person you sit with. From the show Hee Haw.
judy tooley

alexiakl

Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel was just a freight train coming your way..
No Leaf Clover - Metallica

marval

"In the first movement alone, I took note of six pregnancies and at least four miscarriages."

Sir Thomas Beecham on Bruckner's Seventh Symphony.

marval

If a young man at the age of twenty-three can write a symphony like that, in five years he will be ready to commit murder.

Walter Damrosch on Aaron Copland

Kromme

"In the first movement alone, I took note of six pregnancies and at least four miscarriages."

Sir Thomas Beecham on Bruckner's Seventh Symphony.

This one is the greatest comment made on Bruckner's music.Hilarious.:D

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
"Play the music, not the instrument"
Author unknown

marval

One can't judge Wagner's opera Lohengrin after a first hearing, and I certainly don't intend hearing it a second time.

Gioacchino Rossini

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
"Why reproach me? I didn't write the book. Another week's rehearsal with W.S.G. and I should have gone raving mad. I had already ordered some straw for my hair."

Sir Arthur Sullivan when questioned about The Grand Duke (the final collaboration with Gilbert).