• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

technical 'Q'uestion (the Q of an organ pipe)

hitsware

Re: Jamie...... Could you hook up the * Apprentice* to this ?

"q:" "The smaller the value, the steeper the filter"

this is backwards to the Q of which we speak ....
BUT ..... ????????????????
nut.gif

Pamadu

Civilian

smile.gif
mmmmmmmmmm That 'Lord Raleigh'link I gave to Jamie,sort of does make the search continue.Now I am back on deck,will look further for you as well. Cheers
cheers444.gif
Pamadu/Paul.

Pamadu

Civilian

smile.gif
A lot of people are pointing me to this link:
http://www.pykett.org.uk/how_the_flue_pipe_speaks.htm

Yes...It explains a lot....BUT most important is a Reference at the bottom of page in Section on "Pipe Scales" and especially under further reading:
3. “The Physics of Organ Pipes”, N H Fletcher, Scientific American, January 1983, p 94
Did have a copy of this,but now lost. So the search will continue.Could be worth contacting the Author of that article.(Colin Pykett)?????? Cheers
cheers444.gif
Pamadu/Paul.

hitsware

"The reason why the natural frequencies are not exact multiples of the fundamental is because of the end corrections of the pipe, which cause it to seem rather longer than its actual length to the travelling impulses. The end corrections at the mouth and top (if open) result partly from the impulses overshooting the pipe ends somewhat, and the mouth corrections dominate those at the open end. The total end correction (mouth plus end) is greatest for the lowest frequencies and it also increases for wider pipes. These two effects taken together mean that the natural frequencies for wide pipes do not coincide well with the harmonics of the forced excitation when the pipe is sounding. The teeth of the two combs lie progressively further apart in this case, as shown in Figure 4, although this diagram has been exaggerated for clarity. This means that such a pipe does not amplify the harmonics of the forced excitation very well beyond the fundamental and first few harmonics, thereby producing a frequency spectrum characteristic of a flute."

Ya Mon! Great link. Just touches on 'Q' but the quote above is great. I've done some experiments and wondered about the weird harmonic structure.........
cheers444.gif

Jamie

Banned

My Boss & Tutor etc.,knows Colin Pykett and later today here will email him and see what he knows about 'Q'.
It is a Good Link that. I have many more,but was hoping that 'Pipe Chat' would come up with answer by now.Will try again.It's all just
cool.gif
and very interesting
up.gif

Jamie. Better go do some work/study now
grin.gif
too early here for a
cheers444.gif
but it is heating up. hehehehe

Pamadu

Civilian
Re: how about elaborating on \'scale factor\' to the max ?

smile.gif
Sounds Good to Me "hitsware".!!!!!!
up.gif
Will get Jamie to gather a few more people as well (to Join Up), and in a few days when I have a Backlog of work out of the way (after an illness).
The MAX........it is.!!!!
grin.gif
Cheers
cheers444.gif
Pamadu/Paul

hitsware

Re: how about elaborating on \'scale factor\' to the max ?

Yea. Seems in this disipline 'scale factor' is used much more than 'Q'. It's a new system to me, but the results should come out equivalent. The 2 (sf (interestingly there is a 'sf' in speaker building, but it is 'size factor' and pertains to where in the room you locate your speakers)) and Q are definately related.

Jamie

Banned
Re: Ya Mon ! ......... <|:^))

smile.gif
It is a difficult one...Everywhere you go and think you have it,something else comes up.At the moment I am looking at Leslie 'Old' tube horns. That last link threw me off in another direction.

'Q'

Q is the formula for what happens electrically and physically at resonant frequency. Q is related to how slowly a natural vibration dies down. Q is a neat term that combines many elements of speaker design, so it's an important term to speaker designers.

Q is important to the woofer because in a speaker system where the Q is too high, you'll get a whomp in the bass. If a speaker system's Q is too low, then the bass output is relatively weak, because frequency response is highly damped in that region.

The best Q for a speaker to have is one that gives flat response down to the resonant frequency.

If you do nothing to a speaker but make the cabinet smaller, you increase stiffness and therefore Q goes up. But Q is not a word for stiffness alone. It's a ration involving mass, stiffness, and resistance (or damping). Designers often juggle these three factors. Good bass is not enough. Good bass with uniform frequency response and spherical wave-form is the goal. Obtaining that goal without too much sacrifice in efficiency is the challenge.
______________________________ will be back a bit later..... Yeah 'Challenge'.Jamie
up.gif

I put that in for a reason LOL now can't remember why.
have not had any sleep for 18 hours so
snore.gif
and be up in the early hours of the morning.
grin.gif

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: The vagaries of \'Q\'

That is a differant 'Q' than the one Jamie talks of. (which I think is the same one used with organ pipes). It brings out a good point. 'Q' (quality factor) can be anything you want (depending on the 'quality' you are looking for.) 'Q' in one system could concievably be 1/Q in another !

hitsware

>And that's the Confusion

I don't think so if we are sure we are speaking in the context of organ pipes. 'Q' = Fc / Fp .....VERY associated with 'scale factor' .......

Jamie

Banned

cool.gif
Your Quote 'Yea. Seems in this disipline 'scale factor' is used much more than 'Q'. It's a new system to me, but the results should come out equivalent. The 2 (sf (interestingly there is a 'sf' in speaker building, but it is 'size factor' and pertains to where in the room you locate your speakers)) and Q are definately related.'

The formula is Correct. Q = Fc/Fp . but it does make a big difference on the type of pipe etc.and Accoustics etc. but agree that the when using this formula it should come out right.....but there are some other reasons,I have found.and also been told. Will be back tomorrow after all this Birthday thing is over....I have to sober up as well.
grin.gif
Jamie.

hitsware

What exactly is 'cutup'? Simply the opening in the pipe (assuming a closed pipe)? Yea....a toroidal pipe
nut.gif

Jamie

Banned

smile.gif
'cutup' is:
Completed pipes are ready to be voiced. Voicing is the process of adjusting the physical alignment of the critical parts (upper and lower lips, languid, etc.) to get the desired sound.This process begins by establishing the CUTUP, which is the distance from the lower lip to the upper lip of the pipe. Proportional dividers are used to etch a line across the upper lip of the pipe. Principal stops are often cut up 1/4 of the width of their mouth and Flutes are often cut up 1/3, but this depends on the tone desired. Higher cut ups increase the power of the pipe at its fundamental and decrease its upper harmonics.
see: http://www.ruffatti.com/ruffatti_pipes.html

Jamie
cool.gif

EDIT;
see also: http://mmd.foxtail.com/Archives/Digests/199903/1999.03.24.05.html (Last Paragraph)

Mr Bullock at Dallas Pipe Organs answers a lot of Pipe organ Difficult Questions. Commodore Pamadu knows him and will direct him to here,and see if He can have some input as well....He will tell you that 'Builders' guard their Voicing/Scales like Fort Knox....and we modern builders are really compiling the parts made from around the world.
'Compilers' we are. lol.
grin.gif
as there are ONLY a FEW Pipe Making Workshops now in the World. One here in Australia.Was 'Fincham's' Organ Builders.in Victoria down south.It is now used by a Queensland Builder,so should not have much trouble getting on to them.(Fingers Crossed)
up.gif