The User Titles Discussion

KBOC

Re: The User Titles (\"Ranks\") On This Forum

In British and U.S. Navies (and the U.S. Coast Guard, where I served) you have Petty Officers (NCOs) and Chief Petty Officers (senior NCOs) following Seamen
laugh.gif

Dunno if that's of interest or not
laugh.gif

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator

Indeed it is of interest.

I did do a little research before making the titles, and I'm aware of the Petty Officers, but it was my impression that the being petty officer is not a requisite before becoming an officer, but I maybe wrong about that?

I thought that "Petty Officers" was like a line in itself with many petty officer ranks or "classes". In the US there are also: "Senior Chief Petty Officers", "Master Chief Petty Officers", "Command Master Chief Petty Officers" and even a "Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy". So my impression was that after being a seaman, one could either become petty officer or officer?

Even though the titles are all just in good fun
smile.gif
, I'm very interested in getting the ranks "correct", so help pointing out errors is welcomed!

KBOC

Petty Officers are enlisted, they are the equivelent of Corporals and Sergeants in land units.

CPOs are congressionally approved (in the U.S.) to be senior NCOs.

In the U.S. the ratings are thus (for Enlisted)

Seaman Recruit
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (only one holds this rate).

Officers Ranks (very Rank indeed...)

Ensign
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain
Commodore
Rear Admiral
Vice Admiral
Admiral

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator

Thanks. Overall I think I'll leave the "ranks" mostly as they are for now - as the mix between "US Navy" and British "Royal Navy" they are. (comparision chart here).

The idea being that before becoming officer "candidate/cadet" (or Midshipman) one must have taken time "enlisted" as "Seaman" for 25 posts...
smile.gif
Adding Petty Officers as well would make the system too complex, and potentially confusing, I think.

KBOC

laugh.gif
I'm not asking you to change your system
laugh.gif

I just figured you'd be interested...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Bud Fields

That's the trouble with ranks--someone feeling inferior/superior to someone else. It's fun, and it's friendly, and it's an efficient way to evaluate the significance of the forums. Any rank beyond "Friend" is superfluous.

I think it's great fun, personally. And, as a retired officer from the United States Army, it's a hoot.

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Re: New titles! Anyone offended? Then shu...speak up ;

Just a reminder that the titles will be updated on December 15th*. Since everybody will keep the ranks they have "earned" up until that point, I recommend posting a little extra to get the rank you want before the change takes place (after that it will take somewhat longer to reach the different ranks).

After the 15th, the titles will look like this:

0 = Skulker
1 = Recruit, Pianissimo
5 = Apprentice, Piano
10 = Seaman, Mezzoforte
25 = Midshipman, Forte

Officers (with access to the "Officers' Mess"):
50 = Ensign, Principal
75 = Lieutenant, Associate Concertmaster
100 = Lieutenant Commander, Concertmaster
150 = Commander, Assistant Conductor
250 = Captain [of Water Music*]

Flag Officers (with access to the "Flag Officers' Council & Lounge"):
500 = Commodore [con Forza**]
1000 = Rear Admiral [Appassionata**]
2500 = Vice Admiral [Virtuoso**]
5000 = Admiral [Maestoso**]
10000 = 5 Star Music Admiral [+always custom title**]

* Note: I may pospone the change a few days because the software switch is getting closer and for technical reasons it will be best to do the title-change after switching the software.

giovannimusica

Commodore de Cavaille-Coll

Dear KBOC,

You forgot Admiral of the Fleet(5-stars) - yes, it's only a wartime rank, but still, fair is fair. According to my source at Navy BUPERS, the U.S. Congress re-authorized that rank after 9/11.

No offense, eh?

Giovanni
cheers444.gif

Bud Fields

I have a rank!!

I have a rank!!

So, thus the infamy begins!!
smile.gif

Congratulations on the hard work on the site, guys. It's looking better all the time!

Soli Deo Gloria!

Gareth

Commodore of Water Music

Why Navy and not air force?? eh?? The air force also play a part
tongue.gif
flying planes is so much more dangerous, is that why they chose the Navy???? Coz less people get killed???

giovannimusica

Hi Gareth,

Remember - Starfleet Command uses Naval Rank
grin.gif

cheers444.gif

Giovanni

Btw - A *few* planes and Naval Aviators perish at sea during Carrier Operations - not because they are bad aviators - because their mission is inherently dangerous - when one *shoots* and traps aircraft day in and day out, you quickly get alot of respect for the guys who fly for the navy and those manning the catapults and arresting cables - Don't ever *dial in* the weight of an F-14 Tomcat for an F-18 Hornet - what happens? You'll rip the tail-end off the aircraft and the plane goes into the sea - conversely, F-18 weight for an F-14 and the aircraft goes directly into the sea, although new appurtenances are coming on-line to catch aircraft in trouble.

Gareth

Commodore of Water Music

lol okay then, I see what you mean. Just some of my sarcastic thoughts once in a while!!!
laugh.gif

Nalia

Commodore of History & Muses

Well, I guess we danes have a soft spot for the Navy
wink.gif

acciaccatura

No thanks, no ranks 4 me

Please, let me become a proud deserter from this unpleasant, americanized sea beast
smash.gif
- a true civilian and anti-war activist, I must take issue with luring innocent people into your military hierarchy.
shake.gif
No doubt, this board could use some anarchist chaos in this preposterous naval circus!
whistling2.gif
banana.gif

giovannimusica

Re: No thanks, no ranks 4 me

Hi acciaccatura,

This is not an american forum - it's International! The Danes have a wonderful seafaring tradition of which they are justifiably proud of. If one works as a sailor in the Merchant Marine there is always someone who will have a greater rank than you do. You have your basic seaman and all other ranks leading to the top as captain or in some other firms as admiral.

I think Mr. Magle is not intentionally *militarising* this site - he is the owner and he sets the rules - on the sea the captain's word is law. In the Merchant Marine if a deckhand does not obey the captain, that deckhand is put into the brig. Let me put it in another way: take part in the myriad discussions on this site - work up through the ranks and you too might make captain or above.

Above all, this is a fun site - the rank designations can be viewed as an indicator of how much you contribute - not of your military prowess - lighten up - life's too short to get bogged down in minutiae.

Peace and Blessings Aplenty,

Giovanni
cheers444.gif

ps. Hey, I bet this site could use Russian or Chinese military ranks (ready to learn a foreign language and it's peoples traditions?) I, myself speak read and write Russian and Chinese so no problems there or we can use Starfleet ranks - maybe Klingon ranks or Romulan ranks or...
nut.gif
whistling2.gif
out.gif

pps. Denmark has Maersk - International Reach - someone is deckhand, someone is captain...
tongue.gif

acciaccatura

lighten up

If you take a closer look, you will find a few smileys in my post... which was supposed to exercise a modicum of sarcasm... I regret if said sarcasm has been lost on readers...
banghead3.gif

Well, the truth is that I DO dislike military ranks, and for that reason I shall ask to be relieved from service... and I find it commendable that the forum leader has provided this opportunity
cheers444.gif
trump.gif

Gareth

Commodore of Water Music

Ranks show who has had the most posts, and probably just for the fun of it, givin it names of the navy
tongue.gif

Cheers
cheers444.gif

And merry Christmas to you all have a good one
grin.gif

giovannimusica

Hi acciaccatura,

No sarcasm has been lost on this reader
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Do keep up your posting however - are you playing any interesting piano compositions?

Peace And Blessings,

Giovanni
cheers444.gif
wave.gif

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator

Please, let me become a proud deserter from this unpleasant, americanized sea beast
smash.gif
- a true civilian and anti-war activist, I must take issue with luring innocent people into your military hierarchy.
shake.gif
No doubt, this board could use some anarchist chaos in this preposterous naval circus!
whistling2.gif
banana.gif

As you wish, you are now a civilian
smile.gif

acciaccatura

Ah, cool - and now on to blowing up stuff!!!
banana.gif
alc.gif
trump.gif
trump.gif
trump.gif