• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

church politics

NEB

Oh and who cares what the organ looks like or sounds like - as long as it's got manuals and pedals it is fine for practicing on. So whether you thing the Baptist church's organ is pretty or not is immaterial isn't it? After all, It's about teaching the fingers and toes to hit the right notes in the right order at the right time isn't it? Rehearsing what those appendages need to do so that when it comes to performance time - they know.......

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Bingo, NEB - I couldn't have stated it better ... it's exactly what Virgil Fox meant to convey when he related this to me many years ago.

jvhldb

I also like practising when there is nobody around, especially early morning. There aren't any words describing the feeling of playing the pipe organ while the church starts getting brighter with the first light of a new day and best of all, there is nobody to hear any false notes played with full registration.

methodistgirl

You know? If I wait for a while I might get to play the organ again.
Right now I'm a little bit burned out on it to start with. By then maybe
I will come up with some more music to try on the pipe organ. It doesn't
take me long to realize what I am doing. I will wait.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I also like practicing when there is nobody around, especially early morning. There aren't any words describing the feeling of playing the pipe organ while the church starts getting brighter with the first light of a new day and best of all, there is nobody to hear any false notes played with full registration.

I hear ya, jvhldb :grin:. I started that policy of private rehearsal time a long time ago ... To this day, I never practice to an 'audience' ... Fortunately, I do have 24/7 access to the church and the organ which helps a great deal ... and, like you, I find going at the wee hours of the morning the best time as opposed to late night.

You know? If I wait for a while I might get to play the organ again. Right now I'm a little bit burned out on it to start with. By then maybe I will come up with some more music to try on the pipe organ. It doesn't take me long to realize what I am doing. I will wait.
judy tooley

Judy,
This might be a good time to workout notes on a piano - or at another church, even if it has a dinky organ ... it's not the sound or how pretty the organ looks that matters, it's all in the fingering and pedals ... Give the church some time - they are an entity tasked with pleasing most of the people most of the time - unfortunately, you got caught in the middle, but it could well be that things will change in the future.

Above all, keep practicing ... on anything ... you won't regret it.

methodistgirl

Thanks Krummhorn! I just play my guitar right now and my harmonica.
The harmonica is an organ on a smaller scale from the pipe organ!:ut:
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Harmonica (aka mouth organ) is nice ... my Dad used to play one - I still have his.
Great that you have other instruments to fill this temporary void at the organ console.

Hmm, harmonica - the only instrument that one can play by exhaling or inhaling ... :lol:

Muza

I have never heard of harmonica being described as a mouth organ! really? I cant really see it... :rolleyes:

Muza

THanks guys :) I know what harmonica looks like, my dad had one and I used to play with it all the time. I was just a little dumbfounded when I heard it compared to the organ... but i feel better now :)