Help please

teddy

Duckmeister
One of my grandsons wishes to learn the piano, but does not have room for one in his house. He lives too far from me to make regular visits with ease. I wondered if there is an electric organ he could learn on which sounds enough like a piano to interest him and could be stood in a corner when not in use. An idea of cost would also be appreciated.
thanks

teddy :confused::confused::confused:

teddy

Duckmeister
Thanks to you both. I will start with these two , but I will still need to know what a midi connection does
regards

teddy

Dorsetmike

In simple basic terms, a MIDI connection passes timed "messages" defining as to when to start and end a note (or notes) the volume at which to play them as well as various control messages, example for an organ when to operate or cancel a stop. By using more than one channel more than one instrument (or it's electronically generated equivalent) can be controlled; example a virtual pipe organ you would require one channel for each manual and another for the pedals.

You could record a MIDI file of you playing an accompaniment on one instrument, then play the MIDI file back to that instrument while you play the melody on another instrument.

There are also music notation applications which will generate a MIDI file from music written with the app which will play a virtual instrument in the computer (or an external instrument, assuming it has a MIDI interface)

Montefalco

You could also find out if there is a church or similar facility nearby which would let him use their instrument.

teddy

Duckmeister
Thanks for the explanation Mike. Now I can sound (If nothing else) intelligent when I talk to him about it.

David, I am afraid most of the churches are locked up because of theft and vandalism. Very sad.

teddy

elderflower

have a Casio CTK 731 which has many features that I couldn't do without including a synthesiser with which I can change parameters etc. I certainly would like another octave but manage fairly well without it. I would suggest you look at the casio range for beginners. Some of these instruments have illuminating keys which can benefit learners. In my experience he will want to progress to a more advanced keyboard within a couple of years, so suggest you find a music shop which will part exchange when the need arises. Buying a cheap keyboard can be okay, as long as you know it will do what you want and you realise your local music shop will not be keen to take it in part exchange.
You don't say where your grandson lives Teddy, would it be anywhere near me in Bridgwater? If that is so I would be glad to help in any way. I just love to hear that youngsters want to learn music, it is a real help with other types of learning. Sylvie

teddy

Duckmeister
Thanks Sylvie, both for the information and the offer. We live at the far end of Kent, just before you fall in the water. Maybe a bit too far for visits.

teddy

wljmrbill

Afterlooking over the other post. I agree it MUST BE touch sensitive keyboard if he is going study seriously.. ( if just a passes thing he wants to do..might be able to get along with out that featire until he knows what he really wants to do with his music}. . Beginning piano he could get along without a full 88 keyboard for awhile {depends on method he is taught as some teach full keybard knowledge from the beginning and other teach old fashioned way with a progressive (use of) form of study}.. This would depend on how fast he developes in his studies Should be able to find a used keybaord without alot of expense I have 2 . I paid alot for one ( casio px100 ) and the other I got on ebay for about $80.00 USD which works just fine. Another item I have seen but have NEVER played is the folding-roll-up digital keyboard. They are reasonable and might be a beginning for basic????

teddy

Duckmeister
Thanks bill. I will bear that in mind. Without being a cheapskate I would rather buy something half way decent, second hand, so we are not spending too much money on what may be a passing fanc, but a decent enough instrument so he does not lose heart.

teddy

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
My two cents' worth: Casio is unreliable and badly set (the touch is not good). I'd go Roland, fully professional and full size keyboard, and can be stored in broom closet.

Soubasse

Normally I too would suggest Roland or Korg digital pianos - or the simpler Yamaha Clavinovas. If someone is starting out on piano, personally I think it's quite important that they become accustomed to the weighted action as well as dynamic sensitivity early on. In younger players especially, since some of them may not yet have the physical strength for a proper forte touch, a good teacher will need to assess how much technique they need to know, as well as the means of finding their way around the keyboard. If they're working too hard at pounding away to get the right sort of forte and becoming exhausted, they won't enjoy it as much. Some may think "well isn't that an argument for a non-weighted keyboard?" Possibly, however, feeling the weight underneath their fingers is also important so that the student can assess for themselves how much they're willing to give it.

Whilst I'm not usually a supporter of Casio products, the last time I tried one of their Privia pianos, I was quite surprised at it's playability and thought it would make a good learning instrument. It's not difficult these days to pick up a well priced, 2nd-hand 88-note weighted action digital (any manufacturer) and they can be perfectly good instruments to start off with, and they do of course take up much less space than a real piano if that is an issue.

As for the roll up keyboards - afaic it would be a hearty NO WAY from me!! I mucked around with one in a store and it was rubbish. Interesting from a gimmicky point of view but for keyboard technique it was crap - you may as well be trying to play a cardboard cutout of the keyboard as all you're doing is hitting a switch, there is no key travel or springing back under your finger. If it has to be one of those, I'd much rather it was several times larger so you could do this with it (at least you'd get fit!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te4SqP-X8GA&feature=related

Last edited:

Dorsetmike

I've got a roll up PC keyboard on one of my computers, it does what I need, but I don't think a roll up instrument would have much appeal.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
A roll up keyboard could be very useful if you are a composer / arranger and need portability ... not so good if you're a serious student wishing to learn the piano however.

I've been asked to teach a youngster the piano, I told her parents I woulf IF they buy her a proper full sized instrument (digital or accoustic). Currently she's got a 4 octave synthesizer, I'm not teaching a kid on one of those!

wljmrbill

Hi David, not the best I will admit.. But it can work for awhile until they can afford one. Believe I know. My first 4 months of piano study was with a cardboard keyboard for practice because my parents could not afford an instrument. finally got an old upright donated to me for practice. If it had not been for that teacher and my being able to start with that UNDESIRABLE piano. and yard/house work for lessons.. I may have never had a life long carrer in teaching/church/concert music... and I have never forgtton that as I have taught through the years. Many poorer peoples do not have any other choice if they are advance in this old world. I try and help all with music even if not what I may believe to be the best circumstamces to do so. DUe to my past life experiences. Hopefully you will see fit to at least try and help the student begin.

teddy

Duckmeister
Thank you all for your help and advice, it is much appreciated. Hopefully this will enable my grandson to start down the right road.

Bill, I unfortunatel took the opposite path. I started on a lovely upright, moved on to a full sized grand pianola and ended up with a clunker of an upright which would not sound all the notes. Got disapointed and gave up. Much to my regret now.

teddy