What jazz have you been listening to today?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
"Cathedral" with:

Charlie Mariano on the alto and soprano sax

Vitold Rek on the Doble Bass

Peter Reiter on the pipe organ

Taso Music TMP CD 611

CD - Wow :tiphat::clap:

AWESOME suggestion "Cathedral". A trio introducing a pipe organ in jazz without drums. I know of Charlie Mariano of course from his days recording with the German, Eberhard Weber, I haven´t heard of the two other guys though.

Thank you dear sir ;):):D:cool:

intet_at_tabe

Dear sir´s - CD and Mat et.al.

"My Foolish Heart" double CD by The Standards Trio, recorded live at The Montreux Jazz Festival 2001, released by ECM Records 2007 - finally on stock.

I got it by the Danish Postel Service today at 1 PM right after a delicious lunch, second day Italian Spagetti and mealballs with that special stitch of pamasan cheese - YUMMI (life is good), so I have only listened to the whole album once.

But as always with the latest Standards Trio album it´s like a wish come true. For a long time waiting for a treasured gift from someone, whom I have missed immensely. Sometimes, like this minute, words simply fail me, because they seem - not big enough, not close to enough, not enough towards the music and the happiness of just being the owner of this AWESOME album.

I think, I will write a mano-e-mano letter to the producer Manfred Eicher at ECM´s and demand him to release some of those 150 hours of KJ solo piano concerts, he has on stock. No need to wait anymore, we´re all getting older....

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Dear sir Corno Dolce and Mat

Don´t you find that so many of the songs from the "My Foolish Heart" album have very different intros (the beginning of the song) from earlier recordings of the same songs. For instance "Oleo" - "The Song Is You" - "You Took Advantage Of Me" and "Green Dolphin Street".

That´s what make the Standard Trio so very different to other great jazz bands playing live, they always improvise on stage, whenever the opportunity is there.

At the moment, I can´t realy say which song, I prefer the most. It´s much too early. Perhaps in a couple of weeks or so.

On topic:

The Pat Metheny Trio on the double album "Trio - Live", recorded on tour in Europe, Japan and The United States of America in 1999/2000 by Warner Bros.

The musicians:

Pat Metheny (guitars, guitar syntheziser, the custom built 42 string Picasso guitar, 12 string fretless guitar), Larry Grenadier (double bass) and Bill Stewart (drums).

Listen to "Giant Steps" 9:51 minutes, composer John Coltrane on CD 1, that´s Jazz when it´s the best. AWESOME interaction between the musicians on the entire double album.

intet_at_tabe

Sonny Rollins - Sonny Side Up

Way to go Mat!! :tiphat::clap::banana::trp:

So this holy morning shortly after 7 in the AM let´s continue with Sonny Rollins from his album "The Essential SR". The songs "There Will Never Be Another You" and "All The Things You Are", from CD 2.
This double album is released by RCA Victor 1963/remastered by GRP Records in 2005, the sound is incredible.

The musicians:

The boss SR and the former king of the tenor saxophone Coleman Hawkins, Jim Hall (guitar), Herbie Hancock (piano), Ron Carter/Bob Cranshaw (double bass) and Roy McCurdy/Mickey Roker (drums).

Years ago like this album from 1963 Miles Davis had a conversation with his agent, who asked MD if he could listen to a new brilliant guitarist. Only one problem the agent hesitated. His name is Jim Hall and he is white. MD looked at his agent for a few seconds before answering: I don´t care if he is white, green, red, black or yellow, as long as he can play jazz.

Jin Hall became a member of the Miles Davis group.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

So post Sonny Rollins, let´s dig in to Frank Morgan Sextet on his album Reflections, released by Prestige Records 1988.

The musicans:

FM (alto saxophone) Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone) Bobby Hutcherson (vibes) Mulgrew Miller (piano), Ron Carter (double bass) and Al Foster (drums).

Frank Morgan used to play his alto saxophone as a member of both the orchestras, The Duke Ellington and The Count Basie Orchestra.

intet_at_tabe

The title song from the double CD "My Foolish Heart", by The Standards Trio, ECM records 2007.

I gets better and better the whole album, especially not having had the opportunity to listen to any jazz whatsoever for days on end.

Why is it that most mature beautiful and most easy to be with women have no whatsoever respect for huge speakers and HiFi in generel ??? I can´t figure it out ???

intet_at_tabe

Pat Metheny Group on the album "Speaking Of Now", by Metheny Group Productions/Warner Bros. 2002.

I can´t seem to get into this album like with other albums by the PMG, like if there are something missing. The music is as good as ever, but the thrill is not there. Well, it will come, I guess.

The musicians:

PM (guitars, guitar syntheziser), Lyle Mays (piano, keyboards), Steve Rodby (double bass), Richard Bona (vocals, percussion), Cuong Vu (trumpet, vocals) and Antonio Sanchez (drums).

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Crystal Silence. ECM Records