What jazz have you been listening to today?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Margaret,

This is wonderful!! Thanks for sharing.

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
The black soul and voice of the blues sung by Cassandra Wilson, born down the delta of Mississipi, USA always shines bright and clear on her album "Blue Light Till Dawn". by the Blue Note Records 1993.

The musicians:

Cassandra Wilson - vocals, acoustic guitar
Brandon Ross/Gib Wharton - guitars and slide guitar
Lonnie Plaxido - double bass
Kenny Davis - el. bass
Olu Dara - cornet
Charlie Burnham - violin
Don Byron - clarinet
Lance Carter - drums
McClennan/Baptista/Haynes - percussion

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
George Benson Big Boss Band feat. The Count Basie Orchestra

intet_at_tabe

George Benson Big Boss Band feat. The Count Basie Orchestra

To follow you Mat :tiphat: on the American jazz/blues guitarist George Benson on his CD double album "The Essentials", a collection of famous George Benson songs (not nessesarely his own compositions) due to his more than 40 years on top as an electric guitarist, by Sony/BMG Records 2006.

There are four songs in particular on this great almost historical album of the career of George Benson, which have kept my attentionfrom the first listening of this great album:

1) "So What", composed by Miles Davis.
2) "Take Five" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet introducing Paul Desmond.
3) "California Dreaming" by The Mamas & The Papas.
4) "On Broadway - Live", by George Benson.

For once, I have decided not to enter all the names of participating musicians here, because there are too many of them. But for those of you guys, jazz freaks or not, who might be interested, you can read about them on the great double CD album by George Benson "The Essentials".

intet_at_tabe

So the last jazz for this morning will be another Oscar Peterson album entitled "Freedom Song" with his band for the occation Big 4, recorded at the Montreux Jazz Festival 1983, by Pablo Records.

There are a wide scale of known jazz compositions on this album with 14 compositions from "Round Midnight" over "Nigerian Marketplace" to "Waltz for Debby" and another favourite of mine "Sweet Lorraine".

The musicians in the quartet BIG 4 on "Freedom Song":

Oscar Peterson - piano
Joe Pass - guitar
NHØP - double bass
Martin Drew - drums

Of course Joe Pass one class act guitarist, who like NHØP and Martin Drew was a regular member of any trio or quartet by the late Canadian born pianist Oscar Peterson.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Off topic:

Hi guys and my dear fellow jazz freaks sir Mat and likewise sir Corno Dolce.

Prepare yourself for what could have been a fairytale, but incidentliy it is not. This is a true story from today. If you remember my post from Apr-24-2008, 20:55 about how I found this shop in Aalborg, who had had to turn the key to close for good, where I found an album with Miles Davis, I did not have for the price of 1 dollars 5o cents.

That day, I gave the owner my cart with my name, adress and phone number and told him, if he found more jazz CD´s perhaps in some forgotten box, I would be very interested in buying, what he had - the lot. At the time, we copied a list, I always carry around of older jazz albums, I have not been able to find at any internet jazz CD dealer, nor had Peter had success with it in Copenhagen.

Shortly after I logged out from the MIMF this morning, the telephone rang and I answered. By God it was my "friend" from the shop in Aalborg - Rene´. He asked me, if he could come to my adress in 15 minutes and show me some CD´s he had found, which had been on the copied list, I gave him.

So he arrived here at my apartment shortly after 12 noon. He broght 74 CD´s, to my huge surprice. He told me, that most of these was from Copenhagen and Århus (the second biggest city in Denmark about 100 kilometres south of Aalborg/Nørresundby where I live), where he had asked friends of his, who like himself had a shop with cheep second hand jazz CD´s.

So I began looking at this collection of 74 jazz CD´s. After the first 15 CD´s, I simply asked him, how much do you want for all of them - the 74 CD´s.

I mean this guy, who I had met once, whom I did not expect to hear from again, he actually had done a search only to please me, so I decided to by it all in respect of him and this kind of very rare service to a customer, he had only met once - I thought?

He said, he did not know what it was worth to me, but if I would pay him 600,00 Danish crowns it would do?

This was rediculous. 74 Jazz CD´s for around 100 dollars. Rediculous!!

So I said to him: Sorry, no can do, but I´ll give you three times as much 1800,00 Danish Crowns in cash - all I have here for the lot of them (equals around 300 dollars), but only on one condition, that you keep looking for more jazz CD´s, with everyone you know in Denmark?

Now here´s the funny part.

He looked at me and smiled: You don´t remember me do you Lars? No, I said I only met you once in Aalborg.

Then he asked me: Did you go to a public school in Copenhagen callled Johannes Skolen at the 9th grade? Yes I said, but how do you know this?

Again he looked at me and smiled even wider than the first time, and then he said: As soon as you came into my shop, I knew I had met you forty something years ago. Then when you handed me you cart and I saw your first name Lars, I remembered you. We both went to same public school at Johannes Skolen in Copenhagen in the 9th grade (The School of John - the biblical apostle John, in Danish equals Johannes Skolen).

I looked closely at him, felt very embarrassed, because I could not remember his face, his voice or even a name.

So he said to me: The first time you visited my parents my mother felt so sorry for you, because you ate everything so fast, that she thought you did not get enough food at home. He finished: How do you Lars like Gul Sago soup, and fried liver?

Right there the fog lifted, I knew him to be my old school mate Rene´ Sørensen from the 9. grade.

I belive, I told you guys this story about two kinds of Danish meals, I would never eat again, I would rather burn on the fire accused of heteracy? Gul Sago Soup and fried liver

Isn´t that funny guys? AWESOME.

Well there are two Al Di Meola albums "Splendido Hotel" and "Al Di Meola" - four Chick Corea albums from the late 1960´s - One is "Chick Corea Quartet - Live at Montreux" feat. Joe Henderson, Gary Peacok and Roy Haynes and two Chick Corea & RTF albums. One John Mclaughlin, two Herbie Hancock albums, four Stanley Clarke solo albums, eleven Ella Fitzgerald albums, 6 Dinah Washington albums, eight Duke Ellington Big Band albums - You know - Take the A-train. One solo album with the monster drummer Vinnie Colaiuta, four Frank Sinatra albums and so on etc. etc., lots and lots of jazz albums, I never have heard or have owned.

And all of this from my very old school mate Rene´ from Copenhagen. He left my house about a half hour ago after we have spend the whole afternoon in my garden having lunch and then just talking about the good old days, when Jimi Hendrix was still around and when we both smoked our first pot and got high. AWESOME experience. One of those, I will keep within me for a very long time, and he has given me his adress, so I´ll pop in some day, perhaps when he telephones me the next time having achieved more jazz albums of my taste.

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Dear Intet,

What a wonderful way to have been reconnected with a childhood friend - Very moving...

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

marval

A lovely story Intet, and a good deal for the Cds.

I never know if I would remember old school friends.

Margaret

intet_at_tabe

My dear admirered friend Corno Dolce :tiphat:

Strange isn´t it? I guess some of you guys may feel offended at times, because I some times write "in the holy year 2008", but I honestly feel this year to me personally so far has been almost a holy experience from day to day.

And you my dear friend Corno Dolce, whom I wronged at one point not even knowing it, until Mat sent me a post at the MIMF, saying: You talk of politeness and friendship, what has changed? I reread every post of my own and felt ashamed towards you, who were the first person who took me under your wings and helped me to cruise in the MIMF. But you forgave me, because you´re a great guy.

This has never changed for me even, when I sadly had to recognize, what a jerk I had been and I had to bring you my apologies at once.

I still laugh out loud, when I reread your post with the link to the Hare Krishna group, where I was a part of the group, spotted in "Copenhagen".

This was so AWESOME Corno Dolce. So thank you for reading this half lenght novel about Rene´ Sørensen and 74 jazz CD´s.

intet_at_tabe

Ms. Margaret and Ms. Judy, Corno Dolce, Mat, Master Krummhorn and all of you guys, whereever you are outside the MIMF.

Thinking of old friends, one has not seen for years, and may not remember very well, because of all the years gone by or like Ms. Margaret says, find it difficult to remember the faces of.

Here´s a song we all know, and it´s still as beautiful as when Carol King first wrote it - about friendships, when you need someone close to you.

The title is "You´ve Got A friend" by Carol King:

When you're down and troubled
and you need a helping hand
and nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
and soon I will be there
to brighten up even your darkest nights.
You just call out my name,
and you know wherever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah baby
to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
all you have to do is call
and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
You've got a friend.

If the sky above you
should turn dark and full of clouds
and that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
and soon I will be knocking upon your door.

You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer or fall
all you got to do is call
and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend?
People can be so cold.
They'll hurt you and desert you.
Well they'll take your soul if you let them.
Oh yeah, but don't you let them.

You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Oh babe, don't you know that,
Winter spring summer or fall,
Hey now, all you've got to do is call.
Lord, I'll be there, yes I will.

You've got a friend.
You've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
You've got a friend...........

This song was taught to me by my nurse Peter playing the song on his acoustic guitar and singing the lyrics as a duo, when I really felt lost.

So this one is on me.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Great post, Intet. An old friend from school and impressive collection of jazz CDs
:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

On topic:
I've been listening to this

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Great post, Intet. An old friend from school and impressive collection of jazz CDs
:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

On topic:
I've been listening to this

Hi Mat. :tiphat:

The link to the music you listened to yesterday Jamal. Is it the first rap-jazz album? It sounds great.

I guess, I almost lost touch with the ground under my feet yesterday - almost euforicly after the reunion with Rene´and then all these CD´s, he had found for me.

On topic:

Al Di Meola (former with Chick Corea & Return To Forever) on his album "Splendido Hotel", released by Columbia Jazz 1980.

The musicians:

Al Di Meola - 6 string Ovation and 12 string acoustic/el. guitars, drums, mandocello, castonets
Jan Hammer/Philip Saisse - piano, keyboards, synthezisers, marimba, moogbass
Chick Corea - Grand piano
Anthony Jackson/Tim Landers - acoustic guitar bass/el. bass
Robbie Gonzales/Steve Gadd - drums
Mingo Lewis/Eddie Conlon - percussion
David Campell - violin
Dennis Karmzyn/Raymond J. Kelley - cello
The Columbus Boy Choir

Al Di Meola one of the best acoustic/el. guitarist in the world in the 1970´s, spotted by and nursed by Chick Corea.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Stanley Clarke (former bassist with Chick Corea & Return To Forever) from his album "If This Bass Could Only Talk", by Sony Music 1980, remastered for CD in 1990.

We used to say about Stanley Clarke ".....and every imaginable bass in the world", because he invented el. basses the world had never seen, like the piccolo bass, the six string el. bass synthesizer.

It says in the liner notes, written by his wife and manager Carolyn Clarke from this album: "In 1986 Stanley embarked on a solo bass tour. It marked the first time ever, that a performer walked to the center of stages of major concert halls, sat in a chair, and with unaccompanied electric basses, played an entire concert".

But this album "If This Bass Could Only Talk", is not for solo bass.

The musicians:

Stanley Clarke - all electric bass guitars, piccolo bass, el. bass synthesizer
Wayne Shorter/George Howard - soprano saxophone
Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
George Duke/Vance Taylor - Grand piano
Edward Arkin/Steve Hunt - synthesizers
Byron Miller - el. bass synthesizer
James Earl - low bass
Gerry Brown/Stewart Copeland (ex. The Police)/John Robinson - drums
Paulinho da Costa - percussion
Gregory Hines (the actor) - tap dancing