What jazz have you been listening to today?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Lieber Herr Intet,

Ich habe die Deutsche sprache studiert am gymnasium. But I know that my usage of written German leaves much to be desired.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Back on topic: "Wood" by Brian Bromberg.

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
The norwegian guitarist Terje Rypdal on his album "The Singles Collection", released by ECM Records 1989.

It sounds like a collection of hit singles, but it´s not. It´s just the title of the album.

Favourite songs are: "There Is A Lady In My Bedroom And I Need A Drink" and "Sprøtt", the latter which is in the norwegian language, and I don´t know what it means. Both of them are almost melodic songs, where the themes stay in my head for days, like a pop song or a song from the Beatles. And yet very signinicant to Terje Rypdal playing jazz.

The musicians:

Terje Rypdal - el. guitar, guitar synthesizer
Allan Dangerfield - organ, keyboards, synclavier
Bjørn Kjellemyr - double bass, el. bass
Audun Kleive - drums

intet_at_tabe

"Late Night Guitar" by Earl Klugh.

Of topic:

I salute you - da man Corno Dolce :tiphat:

Earl Klugh - One class act guitarist. I particularely love his acoustic jazz inspired guitar.

On topic:

Another American acoustic jazz guitarist Kevin Eubanks on his album "Spirit Talk", by Capitol Records 1993.

The musicians:

Kevin Eubanks - acoustic/el. guitar
Robin Eubanks - trombone
Kent Jordan - flutes
Dave Holland - double bass
Mark Mondesir/Marvin "Smitty" Smith - drums

intet_at_tabe

John Mclaughlin on his album "John Mclaughlin", by Contemporary Jazz Masters 1976, which had me to be a bit confused, when I received it from my old school mate Rene´ the other day.

When I first bought it in the vinyl edition almost a generation ago, it was
called "Electric Guitarist", though it completely match every song on the album mentioned abowe.

Anyways, I here by refer you to one song on the album "Do You Hear The Voices You Left Behind", composed by JM.

The musicians:

John Mclaughlin - electric guitar
Chick Corea - piano, mini-Moog
Stanley Clarke - double bass
Jack DeJohnette - drums

If any of you guys love fast guitar playing accompained by drums and fast riding cymbal work and furious double bass equillibrism, all controled by Chick Corea. This is it. One of the things, I always loved with John Mclaughlin is his incredible guitar technique up-and-down the neck of the guitar, without the tones getting sterile.

There are John Mclaughlin and Pat Metheny on top ......and then there are the rest of them...........

intet_at_tabe

Pat Metheny on his incredible double live album "Travels", by ECM Records 1983.

This album seems to be still rockin´ when methenyists all the the world are asked which album is the best. With me it comes in on top.

My favourite song, like with most methenyists, is still: Are You Going With Me, where we all love it, when Pat change to the guitar synthesizer.

The musicians:

Pat Metheny - guitars, guitar synthesizer
Lyle Mays - synthesizers, piano, organ, autoharp, synclavier
Steve Rodby - el. bass, double bass, bass synthesizer
Dan Gottlieb - drums
Nana Vasconcelos - percussion, berimbau, voice

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Dear Intet,

No need to apologise dear sir. "Farmer's Trust" is also a favorite of mine.

Cheers,

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Ella Fitzgerald - The Irving Berlin Songbook

intet_at_tabe

Dear Intet,

No need to apologise dear sir. "Farmer's Trust" is also a favorite of mine.

Cheers,

sir Corno Dolce :tiphat:

Off topic:

Of course your right, that´s why I originally and mostly enter the entire album no matter who made it, because as we both know, it´s so darn difficult to choose between individual songs.

On topic:

The first official Return To Forever album recorded at all, by the ECM Records ""Return To Forever", from 1972.

My favourite is the medley "Sometime Ago - La Fiesta" 23:18 minutes.

The musicians:

Chick Corea - el. piano
Flora Purim - vocals
Joe Farrell - flutes, soprano saxophone
Stanley Clarke - el. bass, double bass
Airto Moreira - drums, percussion

intet_at_tabe

Okay guys - Let´s have a threesome:

Ella Fitzgerald on her double celebration album "75th Birthday Celebration", recorded in N.Y.C. 1938-1955, released by GRP/MCA Records.

On the album Ella Fitzgerald sings with The Louis Armstrong Band - Benny Carter and his Orchestra - Chick Webb and his Orchestra - Sy Oliver - The Ink Spots - Vic Shoen and his Orchestra - Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five.

One of my all time favourites with this beautiful black lady of jazz music is "Basin Street Blues".

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Ok, let's listen to some jazz for a change:grin::grin::grin:

Tomasz Stańko - Suspended night

T.S - trumpet
Sławomir Kurkiewicz - double bass
Marcin Wasilewski - piano
Michał Miśkiewicz - drums

intet_at_tabe

Let´s keep Chick Corea & Gary Burton on the CD player with the album "Native Sense", by Stretch Records 1997.

The musicians:

Chick Corea - piano
Gary Burton - vibraphone and marimba

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Ok, let's listen to some jazz for a change:grin::grin::grin:

Very funny Mat :tiphat:

So let´s have another album, where Tomasz Stanko plays his great trumpet.

Gary Peacock Quartet on the album "Voice From The Past - Paradigm" is the title of this album, recorded by the ECM Records 1982.

The same german record label where Tomasz Stanko had his breakthrough as a great new trumpeter in jazz, as an important representative from what has been known as - Polish Jazz, playing with more experienced jazz musicians from the US and Norway, who recognized his talents earlier on.

The musicians:

Gary Peacock - double bass
Thomasz Stanko - trumpet
Jan Garbarek - tenor and soprano saxophone
Jack DeJohnette - drums

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Another album where the trumpeter Tomasz Stanko participates with two of his countrymen with one norwegian and a former drummer with Sting:

The album is by Manu Katche (drums) "Neighbourhood". The album was awarded as the best of all albums by the ECM Records in 2005, the same year of this production.

The musicians:

Manu Katche - drums
Jan Garbarek - tenor saxophone
Tomasz Stanko - trumpet
Marcin Wasilewski - piano
Slawomir Kurkiewicz - double bass

This album really is a feast for your ears.

Last edited: