What jazz have you been listening to today?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
So to rap it up this morning, before I catch on to where I left yesterday cutting grass with the neighbours, I´ll give you the music from the american movie "The Falcon and The Snowman" starring Sean Penn and Timothy Hutton, by Pat Metheny. Recorded in England, released by EMI-Manhatten 1984.

The first of two american movies, where Pat was asked to do the additional music. The second movie was "The Map Of The World" much later in 1999/2000.

The musicians on the album "The Falcon And The Snowman" go from a church choir, very beautiful on the intro song, the medley "Psalm 121/Flight Of The Falcon" to the English Rock singer and "enfant terrible" David Bowie (vocals) on the song "This Is Not America".

The musicians beside the ones mentioned above:

Pat Metheny - all guitars, guitar synthesizer
Lyle Mays - piano, keyboards, synthesizers
Steve Rodby - el. bass, double bass
Paul Wertico - drums
Pedra Aznar - vocals, percussion
The National Philhamonic Orchestra, London

It was the first album, where Dan Gootlieb (drums) and Mark Egan (el. bass) were replaced by Wertico and Rodby.

Have a great weekend guys with many sunny hours.

intet_at_tabe

sir Corno Dolce :tiphat:

I found a song on the Al Di Meola album, I mentioned earlier on "Splendido Hotel" that completely fit you and the misses to be: "Tango For Two" :tiphat::clap::banana::trp:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Joey DeFrancesco - The Champ Round 2

08_defrancesco_2.jpg

intet_at_tabe

Off topic:

Mat great picture of Joey. Does he play on two Hammond B3´s? :grin:

On topic:

Charlie Haden (double bass) on his album "The Montreal Tapes" with his band The Music Liberation Orchestra, released by Polydor Records, France/Verve Records 1999.

The song "We Shall Overcome" ....some day!!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Intet, he can play as much Hammonds as he wants:grin:

On topic:

Once again Michel Camilo with his fabulous album One More Once

(PM for you, Intet)

intet_at_tabe

Intet, he can play as much Hammonds as he wants:grin:

On topic:

Once again Michel Camilo with his fabulous album One More Once

(PM for you, Intet)

You are so blessed Mat :angel::up:

So I´ll join you on the latter of Michel Camilo, with his album "Michel Camilo", by CBS Records 1989.

The musicians:

Michel Camilo - piano
Marc Johnson or Lincoln Goines (double bass)
Dave Weckl or Joel Rosenblatt (drums)

From the very first song "Suite Sandrine", part I - one simply has to get up from the ole´rockin chair and Dance All Night Long.

PM back at ya my dear polish buddy!!

intet_at_tabe

sir Corno Dolce :tiphat:

I found a song on the Al Di Meola album, I mentioned earlier on "Splendido Hotel" that completely fit you and the misses to be: "Tango For Two" :tiphat::clap::banana::trp:

Dear sir Corno Dolce :tiphat:

Since you did not reply to this link above by Al Di Meola, I´ll give you another album with a musician (in appreciation of you dear friend) you enjoy, the frenchman Jean-Luc Ponty.

However this is not his album in his name, but Stanley Clarke on his trio album "The Rite Of Strings", Gai Saber International 1995.

The number 2 song written by Jean-Luc Ponty "Renassaince". I can remember this song from one of the albums by Jean-Luc Ponty in the 1970-80´s, where the English guitarist Darryl Stuemer played an AWESOME acoustic guitar solo on this particular song. The English Rock guitarists also played the acoustic guitar (as far as I know) on an old Steve Harley and Cockny Rebel (englishman) album, on the great rock song "Make Me Smile", and two years ago Darryl Stuemer participated in The Genesis Reunion Tour with additional drummer Chester Thompson (former Weather Report).

The musicians:

Stanley Clarke - double bass
Jean-Luc Ponty - violin
Al Di Meola - Ovation and 6 string acoustic guitars.

Great acoustic trio.

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Intet,

For me, Monsieur Ponty's CD entitled *Cosmic Messenger* says it all about his artistry.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

intet_at_tabe

Hi Intet,

For me, Monsieur Ponty's CD entitled *Cosmic Messenger* says it all about his artistry.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Off topic:

Agreed compadre, dear sir Corno Dolce :tiphat:

I first noticed the brilliance of Jean-Luc Ponty on an album by the Mahavishnu Orchestra called: "Visions Of The Emerald Beyond" from CBS 1973. Not to mention the incredible album the next year "Apocalypse", CBS 1974.

Incidently Jean-Luc also performed and played his brilliant violin on the Rock/Jazz album by the late Frank Zappa: "Over-nite Sensation", The Zappa Family Trust from 1973 as well.

His own bands rank equally to those albums mentioned above IMHO.

On topic:

This morning I´ll give you another exquisite violinist, the american Nigel Kennedy on his album "Blue Note Sessions", released by the EMI Records 2006.

The musicians:

Nigel Kennedy - el. violin
Joe Lovano or J. D. Allen - tenor saxophone
Raul Midon - acoustic guitars, vocals
Kenny Werner - piano
Lucky Peterson - Hammond B3 organ
Ron Carter - double bass
Jack DeJohnette - drums
Danjiel Sadownick - percussion

I love his versions of the old songs "Song For My Father" and "I Almost Lost My Mind".

intet_at_tabe

The Chick Corea Acoustic Trio on the album "Acoustic Band", GRP Records 1989. The first of five albums, while Chick had his Electric Band as well, where his co-musicians in the acoustic trio John Patitucci (double bass) and Dave Weckl (drums), also were a part of the Electric Band. Both these musicians were discovered by Chick.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Intet,

Are there "On Green Dolphin Street" (no.1) and "My Sofisticated Lady" (no.4) included on that CD??

intet_at_tabe

Intet,

Are there "On Green Dolphin Street" (no.1) and "My Sofisticated Lady" (no.4) included on that CD??

My dear buddy Mat :tiphat: from the great nation of Poland.

You´re close. "Sophisticated Lady" is like you suggest number 4 song, but "On Green Dolphin Street" is not on this album at all. Number 1 song is "Bessie´s Blues".

However, to please you my dear friend Mat, I found another album by this trio called "Alive", GRP Records 1991, where the songs you mentioned are precisely as you suggested. First song "On Green Dolphin Street" and number 4 song "Sophisticated Lady".

Here are the full score of songs from "Alive":

1) On Green Dolphin Street
2) How Deep Is The Ocean
3) Humpty Dumpty
4) Sophisticated Lady
5) U.M.M.G.
6) Round Midnight
7) Hackensack
8) Morning Sprite

Except for one album out of the five, I mentioned earlier, the album "The Blue Note In Tokyo - Live" Blue Note Records from 1992, which has John Patitucci on double bass, but instead of Dave Weckl, the drummer here is the monster drummer Vinnie Colaiuta.

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Intet my dear friend:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Thank you very much for the provided info. I have this CD called "Chick Corea Acoustic Band" but there is no song list with it. But now I know. The album is called "Alive".

Actually, it is one of the first albums that got me interested in jazz. It was a 'gift' from my teacher. And thanks to that album (and few others also) I have become a jazz freak:grin::grin::grin:.

On topic:

The Swingle Singers - A Cappella Amadeus Mozart Celebration

Yours respectfully,
Mat

intet_at_tabe

Thank you very much for the provided info. I have this CD called "Chick Corea Acoustic Band" but there is no song list with it. But now I know. The album is called "Alive".

Actually, it is one of the first albums that got me interested in jazz. It was a 'gift' from my teacher. And thanks to that album (and few others also) I have become a jazz freak:grin::grin::grin:.

On topic:

Yours respectfully,
Mat

Off topic:

You´re always welcome Mat :tiphat:

On topic:

Jan Garbarek / Charlie Haden / Egberto Gismonti - three musicians from Norway, the US and Brazil on this beautiful acoustic trio album "Magico", by the ECM Records 1980.

Jan Garbarek - tenor and soprano saxophone
Charlie Haden - double bass
Egberto Gismonti - acoustic 8 and 10 string guitars, piano, voice

This album and the first by the trio "Folk Songs" from 1979 always make me feel relaxed and flying free.....somewhere.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

On topic:

Yours respectfully,
Mat

Hi Mat and my Oceanian compadre sir Corno Dolce :tiphat:

I came to think back in time during dinner to my very first listening to Chick Corea, at the same time remembering the funny story about Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett and Joe Zawinul - all of them playing with the Miles Davis Band in the late 1960´s beginning of the 1970´s - at the same time in the same band.

They were all invited to an auditioning by Miles, and as usual Miles gave them two or three words before the concert - just follow the rhytm and I´ll show you with my eyes, when you may solo. Stupid message since Miles used sunglasses at that time on the stage.

So they all thought, I´ll be the one who will be the new pianoplayer, organist and keyboardian with Miles.

So after the concert they waited exitedly for the conviction by Miles, who only said: You´ll do the three of you.

They all became members in the same band of Miles Davis at the same time.

I don´t know if you can find this little story in any of the biographies of Miles, written by other people. I heard it in an interview with Chick Corea in the Danish radio during a Jazz Festival some 20 years, or so, ago.

Funny thing is they all succeeded in each their own careers as bandleaders of controversial jazz bands. Zawinul became a master of keyboards and synthesizers, Corea did everything including duo piano concerts with Herbie Hancock, solo piano, acoustic and electric bands in trios, quartets, a sextet and a big band as well, thirtyfive years as a duo with Gary Burton (vibes), recording standards for solo piano etc. etc. and my most dear jazz musician Keith Jarrett, well we both know, he created The American Quartet, The Scandinavian Quartet and finally The Standards Trio and kept on playing incredible solo piano concerts, totally improvised.

You have a great sunny weekend, which goes for the Oceanian sir Corno Dolce as well.

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Oh, yeah. The weekend is going to be sunny:grin::grin::grin:. There is no other way. I've got a lot of new jazz music I'd like to listen to. Let me begin with:

Michel Petrucciani - Promenade With Duke

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Last tuesday I went to a diploma recital of a graduate of Piano Jazz Faculty of the Music Academy. I recorded some of it with my cell phone but even though I remastered it on my PC, the quality is still very poor...

And here's what was played:

H. Mancini - Days of Wine and Roses
R. Rodgers - My Favourite Things
D. Brubeck - In Your Own Sweet Way

M. Petrucciani:
Colors
Brazilian Like
Cantabile
Rachid

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Last night I spent at my local Jazz Club.

Lots of standards played by a very well-know Polish jazz musician Jan Wróblewski and his band.

Jan "Ptaszyn" Wróblewski - saxophone
Jacek Niedziela - double bass
Wojciech Niedziela - piano
Marcin Jahr - drums

Now it's Adam Makowicz - Live at Maybeck Recital Hall

file456fe4c33103b.200612010316

Last edited: