What jazz have you been listening to today?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
The song "We Shall Overcome", here recorded by Charlie Haden and his Music Liberation Orchestra on the album "The Montreal Tapes", Polydor Records, France/Verve Records 1999.

intet_at_tabe

The Charlie Haden Trio on his album "Etudes", by Soul Note Records 1988.

The musicians:

Charlie Haden - double bass
Geri Allen - piano
Paul Motian - drums

intet_at_tabe

"The Gary Burton Quartet with Eberhard Weber", by the ECM Records 1976.

The musicians:

Gary Burton - vibraharp
Pat Metheny - guitars
Steve Swallow - el. bass
Eberhard Weber - weber upstanding el. bass
Dan Gottlieb - drums

The band has two bassists, very different musicians and bassists from the USA and Germany, but with Gary Burton in the front it can only be good. Also this album marked Pat Metheny on his second recording with Gary Burton, and Pat´s second recording at all on the ECM Records.

Pat´s first album with Gary Burton was "Ring", by the ECM Records 1975. In this band there were not only the two bassists, but also two guitarists.

The musicians:

Gary Burton - vibraharp, marimba
Pat Metheny - 12 string el. guitar
Mick Goodrick - el. guitar
Steve Swallow - el. bass
Eberhard Weber - weber upstanding el. bass
Bob Moses - drums

intet_at_tabe

The Gary Burton Quintet on the album "Departure", by Concord Jazz 1997.

First song is an old Frank Sinatra ballad "September".

The musicians:

Gary Burton - vibraphone
John Scofield - guitars
Fred Hersch - piano
John Patitucci - double bass
Peter Erskine - drums

intet_at_tabe

Pat Metheny Group on the album "The Way Up", by NoneSuch Records 2005.

The incredible Pat Metheny with his vision on The Way Up, total playing time 68:10 without a break. Like a classical symphony with four movements.

The musicians:

Pat Metheny - acoustic/electric guitars, guitar synthesizer
Lyle Mays - piano, keyboards
Steve Rodby - double bass, el. bass, cello
Cuong Vu - trumpet, voice
Gregoire Maret - harmonica
Antonio Sanchez - drums

intet_at_tabe

Manu Katche on his first album in his own name "Neighbourhood", by the ECM Records 2005.

Manu, who made a huge impact of the jazz/rock musician STING, and the Norwegian saxophonist Jan Garbarek, with whom Manu Katche has recorded two albums.

The musicians:

Manu Katche - drums
Jan Garbarek - tenor saxophone
Tomasz Stanko - trumpet
Marcin Wasilewski - piano
Slawomir Kurkiewicz - double bass

intet_at_tabe

My dear friend:tiphat:,

This sounds very familiar:grin::grin::grin:.

Best regards,
Mat:tiphat:

On topic:

Miles Davis on his album "The Modern Jazz Giants", by Columbia Records 1956, remastered by Fantasy Records 2003.

This jazz outfit:

Miles Davis - trumpet
Milt Jackson - vibes
John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
Thelonius Monk or Red Garland - piano
Percy Heath or Paul Chambers - double bass
Kenny Clarke or Philly Joe Jones - drums

My dear friend Mat :tiphat::clap::wave:

Yes, three Polish Jazz musicians in the same group, quite good. Of course Tomasz Stanko, these days following his own success, seems to do what Miles Davis, Chick Corea and Gary Burton in the USA did, use ones own success to promote other friends and countrymen from the distinguished Polish Jazz scene.

I kinda like this kind of unselfish talent, remembering there were times in his own career in the past, when prospects were not good like now. Tomasz Stanko plays a very mature trumpet with a big round tone like Woody Shaw from America, but like everyone else of the regulars at the ECM Records, who often participate on other albums with his colleagues on various instruments, like Jan Garbarek and Manu Katche, Tomasz Stanko is a gentleman.

One of the many talents of the producer Manfred Eicher, first educated in classical music, to discover new talents and give them a chance for a breakthrough. The basis idea behind the ECM Records (European Contemporary Music) was to enforce jazz music in Europe, then he took the huge step to open the ECM Records with a recording sound even on vinyl records - not compatible to any other recording studio in the world in 1970.

Even Pat Metheny made an album with a Polish female singer in the 1990´s Maria Copotjek (can´t spell her surname Mat), while he had his world debut on a record with his first band a trio at the ECM in 1976. His personale diplomate to introduce Pat was Gary Burton. Pat´s first album was "Bright Size LIfe" with Jaco Pastrious - el. fretless bass and Bob Moses - drums.

Even Keith Jarrett after more than 35 years still has the ECM Records for the favourite recording studio.

That´s how the rings in the water in European jazz widend up for new talented musicians from Europe and the world, introduced to Manfred Eicher, by already established musicians. But then the term Polish Jazz started in the 1960´s.

I hope you´re busy, but carm for the finales. ;):)

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Talking about Keith Jarrett and his American Quartet. I´ll throw you his album "The Survivors Suite", by the ECM Records 1977.

There are only two songs on this album, alomst 50 minutes of playing time. The first "Beginning" a long search to find something in the universe of Keith Jarrett, very quiet music. Second song "Conclusion" quite the opposite. Beginning with Keith jarrett on the soprano saxophone - very wild, followed by a very fast not very melodic drum solo by Paul Motian, however one of his best IMHO to end up in the very melodic quartet, with Keith back on the piano - of sublime stature.

The musicians:

Keith Jarrett - piano, soprano saxophone, Bass Recorder, Celeste, Osi drums
Dewey Redman - Tenor saxophone, percussion
Charlie Haden - double bass
Paul Motian - drums, percussion

AWESOME album, I keep going back to this one album, though I have everything else by The American Quartet.

intet_at_tabe

Tango, played the Argentinian way by the American Gary Burton and his Argentinian sextet on the album "Libertango", by Concord Records 2000.

The musicians:

Gary Burton - vibraphone
Fernando Suarez-Paz - violin
Marcelo Marcelo Nisinman - bandeneon
Pablo Ziegler or Nicolas Ledesma - piano
Horacio Malvicino - acoustic guitar
Hector Console - double bass

Being reminded of the great Argentinian Astor Piazzola.

intet_at_tabe

So let´s finish this sunny morning with another Gary Burton album from back in the day, while this thread seems to be undergoing a carefully sceduled conspiracy (lols).

The album "A Genuine Tong Funeral" with the Carla Bley Orchestra, by RCA Records 1968, remastered by BMG Records, France 1994.

The musicians:

Gary Burton - vibes
Carla Bley - piano, organ, conductor
Larry Coryell - guitars
Michael Mantler - trumpet
Jimmy Knepper - trombone, bass trombone
Steve Lacy - soprano saxophone
Gato Barbieri - tenor saxophone
Howard Johnson - tuba, bariton saxophone
Steve Swallow - el. bass
Lonesome Dragon - drums

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
My dear friend Mat :tiphat::clap::wave:

Even Pat Metheny made an album with a Polish female singer in the 1990´s Maria Copotjek (can´t spell her surname Mat), while he had his world debut on a record with his first band a trio at the ECM in 1976. His personale diplomate to introduce Pat was Gary Burton. Pat´s first album was "Bright Size LIfe" with Jaco Pastrious - el. fretless bass and Bob Moses - drums.
:)

Intet:tiphat:,

Don't worry. Polish language is a challenge:grin:. Her full name is Anna Maria Jopek [pronounce: yohpeck] (not sure if wrote it right:confused::confused::confused:). Anyway, if you like the way she sings, you should definately listen to her album called "My Best Secret". It's one of my favorites.

On topic:
Here's a song I'm listenig to for the very first time right now, and sure you all know it very well.

intet_at_tabe

Intet:tiphat:,
On topic:
Here's a song I'm listenig to for the very first time right now, and sure you all know it very well.

Come to think of it Mat :tiphat:

I got one out of three right - Maria :grin::grin:.

Oh yes, Cantaloop, Mat, yes we know. I saw the link, beuatiful music, but the video is boring. Yeah, I gotta train of my Polish, I haven´t really excercised it since 1989, when I soloed on the Polish National Anthem in Ranum, Poland - they said.

My wife did not speak to me after this sincere attempt to make my new career move for the European Song Contest, in very good, relaxed and hospitable company that night. But at least, I did not have to hide under the bed, watching her on her knees coming closer and closer to the safety under the bed. Copied from your hilarious joke Mat.

Thanks for the title of her album, I´ll look for it.

On topic:

John McLaughlin and his acoustic band from India on the album "The Believer", Glenray Trading/Universal Music, France 2000.

John McLaughlin - guitars
Zakir Hussain - tabla
Shrinivas - mandolin
Selvagenesh - kanjira, ghatam, mridangam

Very nice strange eastern music inspired by the Indian music tradition and composition theory.

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Of course I know the original song by Herbie Hancock, called Cantaloupe Island. The trumpet solo is really impressive
Come to think of it Mat :tiphat:

I got one out of three right - Maria :grin::grin:.

Oh yes, Cantaloop, Mat, yes we know. I saw the link, beuatiful music, but the video is boring. Yeah, I gotta train of my Polish, I haven´t really excercised it since 1989, when I soloed on the Polish National Anthem in Ranum, Poland - they said.

I'm sure you meant Radom, not Ranum;). Yes, I remember when you told me about the solo performance on Polish National Anthem:grin:. That must have been one exciting experience:grin:. Anyway, if you'd like to improve your Polish, feel free to ask my any question you like. And I will share my humble knowledge with you.

And back on topic:
Whisper not by you all know who:grin::grin::grin:

Cheers,
Mat

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Of course I know the original song by Herbie Hancock, called Cantaloupe Island. The trumpet solo is really impressive

I'm sure you meant Radom, not Ranum;). Cheers,
Mat

Sorry my friend Mat:tiphat:

Ranum is a small city some 50 kilometres west of here. We better stay talking English for the time being.

On topic:

Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea friends in music and privately on the double album "In Concert", by Columbia Records 1978.

Both these highly esteemed gentlemen in jazz and particularely on each their jazz piano - but here on two pianos.

intet_at_tabe

Good to see you back Corno Dolce :tiphat:.

On topic:

Herbie Hancock on his four CD album "The Herbie Hancock Box" all recordings from 1973 to 1999, by Sony Music Entertainment 2002.

The musicians on CD 1:

Herbie Hancock - piano
Wayne Shorter - tenor saxophone
Bennie Maupin - soprano saxophone and flute
Freddie Hubberd and Wynton Marsalis - trumpets
Julian Priester - trombone
Ron Carter - double bass
Tony Williams - drums