Zen and the art of Google maintenance ...

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Now, being a total Google Earth addict I thought I'd share a wonderful photo someone (with far too much time on their hands) took in Denmark.

Navigate to coordinates:

56o09’22.51” N
(of course the o after the 56 should be a degrees symbol, but I couldn't figure out how to do it)
10o12’38.24” E

and you'll find a photo if you have your button clicked to show photos and things.

And, if someone can tell me how to type these coordinates into Google Earth (hence navigate directly to a point) I'd be etnernally grateful.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hmmm, well I plugged the coordinates in and it gave me like 15 search results, but none of those "placemarks" (when hovering the mouse pointer over them) even came close to the listed coordinates. I'll have to keep trying.

Btw, if you have a Character Map on your PC, you might try "ALT + 0176", which on my PC produces this neat little "°" degree indicator.

methodistgirl

I wished Google Earth would fix their satellite so that when I got real
close to something I want to see wouldn't be a blur.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Judy, it's all about what "they" think are priorities. Sydney, New York and London all come up nice and clear. Madisonville, Galargambone and Uppercomebucktowest all come up fuzzy because they're just not deemed intersting enough I guess

methodistgirl

As famous as the stories are about Mexico's history with the Astez
and the Mayan people and the ruins there should be a better priarity
to locating these famous ruins. In other photos the ruins are quite
beautiful but rugged.
judy tooley

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Ms. Judy,

The images sometimes are blurrred for local and national security reasons and also to protect the privacy of individuals.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Krummiest ... should've...how the bloody hell do you type those coordinates into Google Earth, it's vexing me to no end.

Hi CT64,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this ...

I entered the two coordinates thus:
56.092251 + 10.123824

(Note: the "+" is used for north/easterly directions ... the "-" used for south/westerly directions)

When entering coordinates in this manner, it is not necessary to enter the direction letters.

The coordinates given, when using the "+" designator is the eastern coast of Denmark
When I plugged in the "-" designator I was shown open sea, off the coast of South America.

Fascinating though, that whole google earth thing ... absolutely fascinating.

Last edited:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
So, thanks to Krummiest for teaching me how to type (or where to type) coordinates into Google Smerf: 56 09’22.51” N 10 12’38.24” E takes you to Copenhagen and if you zoom into about 230 ft you'll see a collection of three photos (assuming you have that button clicked that lets you see people's photos) and one has the word Gargoyle in it and it's a very, very fine photo.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Welcome, CT64 ...

Plugged in those coordinates and thought I had checked the photo enable button, but perhaps chose the wrong option. Is in in the options to the left or in the options on the tools menu?

methodistgirl

I saw some of the most beautiful pictures on Google Earth. I have it
now. I look up stuff on it everyday. I even found Madisonville,Ky on
there. I was amazed.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I agree, Judy ... Google Earth is almost as addicting as this forum site.
I've been able to zoom in on my sister's home, my cousin's homes here in this country and relatives homes abroad. The 3-D photo feature zoom is amazing, too.

The most amazing thing was being able to input a street and city address and watch it zoom from the globe straight to where I live.

methodistgirl

Why don't you look up my hometown. I will send you a personal
email to give my address and you can look it up on Google Earth.
Krummhorn you will see even where I go to church you can't miss
the Methodist church on Scott and center st.
judy tooley