desert island discs

hardbop grandpop

what are your desert island discs? this thread could become very interesting if members start to list their favorite albums. like the old radio show. not the best lps in their collection ,but the ones that mean the most to them.lps that they could listen to over and over again. i will list my selection later when i,ve had time to think about it. dont want to leave an important album out. gord:cool:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
If I were to just limit my picks to Jazz then the list is this:

Complete McCoy Tyner and Keith Jarrett recordings.

dll927

Are there islands in deserts? (Definition of island: A body of land surrounded by water) Therefore, it's a contradiction of terms.

In the unlikely event that such islands could exist, would they have electricity? Take MANY batteries.

Hopefully, one would be rescued before the supply of batteries reached critical scarcity.

OLDUDE

Seems like a good idea and as with Margaret I need time to generate a list. (What we really mean, is to find out what other people do - how many in the list for example).
Regarding nomenclature, it sounds like a typical BBC c---up, I guess they meant Deserted Island Discs.

Cheers John

hardbop grandpop

in the original show there was eight picks by a guest. they were also single tracks. i changed it to albums.if this goes over well maybe we could have a singles list later. anyway here is my d.i.d list. 1 milt jackson- plenty plenty soul atlantic---2 don ellis-electric bath columbia---3 bill holman-brilliant corners- the music of thelonious monk jvc---4 john coltrane-africa/brass impulse---5 gerry mulligan- the concert jazzband verve--- 6 stan getz-the soft swing world record club---7 oscar peterson-night train verve--- 8 gil evans- the individualism of gil evans verve. gord

OLDUDE

Right!!
Here is 4 for my list as starters.
"Louis with Oscar Peterson"
"The Misty Miss Christy"
"Getz for Lovers"
"1938 Goodman Carnegie Hall Concert"
"Rugolo Plays Kenton"
Gosh I got carried away - Cheers John

teddy

Duckmeister
Are there islands in deserts? (Definition of island: A body of land surrounded by water) Therefore, it's a contradiction of terms.

In the unlikely event that such islands could exist, would they have electricity? Take MANY batteries.

Hopefully, one would be rescued before the supply of batteries reached critical scarcity.

Have you never heard of wind up gramaphones? What better way to play old jazz records.

Teddy

OLDUDE

Here's my continued list;
"Shorty Rogers Giants" 10" LP
"April in Paris" - Count Basie
"Jazz Studio 1" some beautiful piano by Hank Jones on the main track
"Jazz Studio 2" My 1st hearing of Jimmy Giuffre, Herb Geller and John Graas
"Misery and the Blues" Jack Teagarden (much later)

I dont know where to stop - Cheers John

teddy

Duckmeister
Great idea. I will put my thinking cap on. Trouble is I will need two lists. One for jazz and one for everything else.

Teddy

OLDUDE

Following up from my post of Apr.29th, I have now tracked down the "Jazz Studio 1 and 2" CD and bought it from Amazon.
considering I first heard them in about 1955, they still sound great.

Cheers john