Fave heavy metal band?

Museo

For me it would have to be Deep Purple - but the period in which Ian Gillan was lead vocalist rather than David Coverdale. I find that many of these Heavy metal bands are inter-related though.

SecondBass

I have more albums by Gillan than any other heavy band. He had a succession of superb band members and produced several superb albums, although Double Trouble was appallingly produced. I might have to stop off at Deep Purple central though.

wednesday

best metal band

best metal band right now for me is the kovenant and the deathstars or cradle of filth all are wicked

Sybarite

Up until around 18 months ago, I would have said that I didn't like any metal at all – heavy or otherwise. And since I'm in my forties, I probably didn't expect that to change. But a little experimentation in the interveining period has introduced me to a few things.

I don't mind Motorhead, but I actively like Marilyn Manson (also that might have something to do with his ability – and intention – to wind certain groups up ;) ) and Rammstein. The latter gets classed as 'industrial' in iTunes, but I'm sure people will excuse me for mentioning them here: it's almost metal meets Wagner – there's a great operatic quality about what they do and their videos are frequently very good indeed, and really quite subversive (see Sonne, which is really quite kinky).

pnoom

If you like experimental music, Sybarite, here's some good experimental metal:

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (not really metal, but loud and heavy)
Unexpect
Maudlin of the Well

hillelr

best heavy meatl band

i will divide it for old (before 80's)
and new
the old ones i like are deep purple(mostly up until 1973) and led zeppelin
the new ones are nightwish and therion

JLS

TOOL is gorgeous

I also like:

The Faceless

Necrophagist

Born of Osiris

Between the Buried and Me

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi JLS,

An acquaintance who works as a recording engineer had sent me a CD with Symphonic Metal without vocals or titles to the works nor specifying who played them. Some of it was interesting, but alas, my ear and my nerves just couldn't take the assault for very long.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi JLS,

Quit pickin' on my man Schoenberg - He never done you no harm :p:p:p:D:D:D

Cheers,

Corno Dolce