• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Harry Hall Organ Co.

Finistere

One Harry Hall Organ Co. opus

The organ is St. Michael's Church in Litchfield, Conn. was a Hall installed in 1921 when the edifice was built. The instrument was replaced by a Moller in 1960, which was rebuilt by Quimby about four years ago.
The case still in use stems from the original organ. It is my understanding that a few voices from the Hall instrument were incorporated into the Moller, as some from the Moller were reused by Quimby. In the photo of the organ as it appears today, if you take away the Moller/Quimby hanging wind chests, you can see the original Hall.

[Could someone walk me thru how one posts photos on this site?]

There was a magnificent three-manual Hall in the First Congregational Church in Naugatuck, Conn. This building is one of McKim Meade and White's most beautiful and impressive works. In December 1963 I remember hearing the first three cantatas of Bach's Christmas Oratorio accompanied by that organ. Probably it was replaced sometime in the 1970's.

gsjohnson68

I have a Hall Organ Company organ (Opus 605 - 1931) installed in my home. I relocated it to my home in 1982 from the First United Methodist Church in West Haven, CT. It has two manuals and 17 ranks. It still plays well and has its ORIGINAL leather. I agree with others on this thread that Hall organs were built to last. I believe the Hall Organ factory was located in the vicinity of 680 Campbell Avenue in West Haven CT, now a mostly vacant lot.

In response to an article printed in the New Haven Journal Courier newspaper in 1982 about my organ installation, I received a telephone call from a Mrs. Harriett North who told me her late husband had been the president of Hall Organ Company. She told me she had documents and other memorabilia related to the company in her attic and offered me the opportunity to come look at and take whatever I wanted. Unfortunately, I never took up Mrs. North on her offer.

dorena726

Hi, I am not an organist, but rather I am researching St. Stanislaus Church in Waterbury, CT. In doing my research, I came upon the fact that in 1935 year end it appears they owed the Harry Hall co $1000. I assume they bought an organ that year. The church is now closed and I am not sure if they organ is still there or if it was replaced at some other time. I was hoping that someone could tell me what a Harry Hall organ would have cost in 1935? I am not sure if I can gain access to the church to take a picture of the organ there.

John Watt

How about taking over the debt and trying to get the organ for yourself?
Not Antiques Roadshow, but some Storage Locker attitude.