hello from Stephen Malinowski

musanim

Hello everybody, my name is Stephen Malinowski. I've been studying music since the 1960s, mostly piano, but also violin and viola, guitar, flute and recorder and some unusual early music instruments. I studied organ briefly in the 1970s with James Welch at the University of California at Santa Barbara (I was a music theory and composition major there). In the 1980s I learned how to write computer software and found that I could make a better living doing that than by writing, playing or teaching music, so now music is my hobby. My obsession is music visualization (see Music Animation Machine). When I'm playing music with other people, it is usually with me on piano and them on strings (sonatas, trios, quartet, quintet). When I'm playing music by myself, it is on the piano or (Alborn-Galanti sampled) organ, Bach most of the time (especially Art of Fugue and WTC). When I play the piano, people think I must be an organist; when I play the harpsichord or the organ, they think I'm a pianist (and when I play the viola, they doubt I'm a musician at all ;) ).

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
Hehe, welcome, mate.
Good to see more of the experienced people in here.
Welcome to our home, i hope you find this forum pleasent and useful!
Make sure you post your work-in-progress music so we can hear what you do and perhaps comment on it :)
In any case, i hope you have a good time in here.

musanim

Make sure you post your work-in-progress music so we can hear what you do and perhaps comment on it :)
Okay, here is something I'm working on:

(Hmmm, why is it that color? I tried to make it black) This is the rough-cut, no expression. If you want to see the score, it's here:
I got the Vienna Symphonic Library Horizon Series Solo Strings a while ago, and I hope to use them to make a more expressive version; the steep learning curve has slowed me down, though ... :(

P.S. Is this the right place to post things like this?

Wyatt

Banned
Do you operate that Music Animation Machine website?

Strange that I happened to come across that. Maybe two months ago I was visiting family in Oregon and while I was watching TV I saw the Toccata and Fugue in d minor animation. If you do make those, good job, it was very entertaining :)

musanim

Do you operate that Music Animation Machine website?

Strange that I happened to come across that. Maybe two months ago I was visiting family in Oregon and while I was watching TV I saw the Toccata and Fugue in d minor animation. If you do make those, good job, it was very entertaining :)
Thanks! Yes, that's me.

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Welcome Stephen Malinowski! :tiphat:

I'm glad you have joined our site, and I will be looking much forward to read your posts, not least on the subject of music visualization :)

Kind regards,
Frederik

PS:
P.S. Is this the right place to post things like this?
In general posting links to your music (or in this case visual art) belongs in the "music & website reviews forum" or the "architecture, photography, sculpture" forum, but since you were replying to a request it's fine. However, you will most likely get much more exposure and comments on your work by posting in the designated area.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Stephen

Hello Stephen ...

Welcome to MIMF forums ...
Your post had a blast from the past for me ... James Welch ... geez, that was ... well ... a few years back :smirk: . Wasn't he also an organist for a church in Goleta? Trying to piece the ol' memory banks here.

Anyway, enjoy your time with the rest of us ...