Post your favourite Jazz

hardbop grandpop

hi steve, dont care for streetlight manifesto too much, but i did like the dave douglas quintet. if you like weird jazz try frank zappa-jazz from hell a crazy album or even most sun ra albums. gord :cool:

teddy

Duckmeister
Steve
Have you started at the roots of jazz with spirituals and blues. It is an interesting journey and made me appreciate where it all started from
teddy

Intern Steve

Hey thanks for the advice. hardbop, Zappa is one of my favourite musicians and I got to see Dweezle and Moon Unit preform last summer with Dream Theater. I just checked out Jazz from Hell and it's unreal! And teddy, any band suggestions?

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Steve, I am afraid I am locked into the past, for me jazz took a turning that I do not like, around the 70s when they started to fuse with rock and up to the free jazz of to day, but its not just jazz, classical also seems to have deviated too much for my humble taste, so give me Brubeck, trad jazz, Benny Goodman etc etc and I am happy.

teddy

Duckmeister
And teddy, any band suggestions?

With the early stuff it as really about individual performers as a lot of it was a man and a guitar. Try Muddy Waters. For female vocalists Bessie Smith Although they were by no means the first performers there are plenty of recordings by them. It mainly started with the black slaves singing about work, love, religion, birth and death. Jazz was a progression from this with more instruments avavailable and the opportunities to play together. Lack of conventional training resulted in innovation regarding the playing and content. The fact that a lot of people started to enjoy this type of music secured its future. youtube is of course always a good source for research. Enjoy yourself

teddy

hardbop grandpop

hi steve,i like all jazz, bunk johnson, carla bley, paul bley, i am one of those individuals who likes everything. my favorite kind of music is big band jazz, bill holman,bob florence, don ellis, shorty rogers etc. gord

hardbop grandpop

hi john, it is too bad that shorty rogers spent all that time in the hollywood studios and away from jazz, because he was one of the greatest arrangers in the histoy of our music. i guess we should be thankful that he made a lot of great albums back in the 50s. i listen to them quite often. gord

OLDUDE

The Shorty Rogers Giants were one of my 1st few vinyls.

I have the Proper Box 4 CD set of his work

hardbop grandpop

i listen to shorty rogers albums more than any other jazzman,except maybe BIG T. i have them all but the very rare tarzan soundtrack on mgm. gord

OLDUDE

Hi Gord'
The mind boggles at any link between Shorty Rogers and Tarzan.
Do you think that Tarzan enjoyed Chet Baker, Dave Brubeck, Art pepper and
Gerry Mulligan as well ? Why not-I do.

hardbop grandpop

hi john, there really is an album called shorty rogers meets tarzan on mgm apparently it has been reissued on cd.on ebay someone wants 350 dollars for the original lp. this is what they say about this lp. ultra rare, fantastic, wild and raw,afro-cuban big band jazz from motion picture soundtrack. gord