Private Thread - Keep Out!

marval

I am certain I couldn't say that job title with a straight face John. Last one you promise, do you mean that?

Mounted the pavement, good one Mike.

Did you hear about the woman she became a telephone operator because it was her calling.

And the prospector who gave up, beacuse he didn't think his career would pan out.

I wanted to be a fisherman for the halibut, but I floundered. I couldn't live off my net income.

Mind you being an artist is alright beacuse they can always draw the crowd.

But the poor old shepherd after he retired felt ewes less.

Margaret

marval

Thank you John, I think I just have a warped mind.

I used to clean shoes for a living because I really took a shine to it.

Then I decided to write a long story, everyone said that was a novel idea.

A friend of mine went for an audition as a trumpeter, but he blew it.

Margaret

Dorsetmike

Today I found pleasure in a work by Ludovici Einnaudi, the sheer relief at the end, being able to say thank **** that's finished.

I was on the other side of the room doing a jigsaw, the announcer said it was from a new album, so as I didn't have the remote handy I let it continue (lazy fool that I am) I didn't notice any difference from any of his other efforts apart from him having conned a violin and cello to join him.

I would have thought by now he might have learned how to use musical notes to make a tune, but no such luck, the same repetitive tinkling. What amazes me most is that some people actually pay money for his CDs and concerts.

As a matter of interest has anybody other than Ludo himself ever recorded (or even played) any of his "work" apart from the violinn and cello mentioned?

I place his talent on about the same level as the bloke who convinced the art world that a pile of bricks was art. Mind you I still think Picasso could have used some lessons in painting. Label anything aspiring to be artistic as modern and some crowd of wannabes will fight to buy it.

Discuss

jhnbrbr

Mike, not being familiar with Einaudi, you forced me to search some out and listen to it. I have to say I agree with you one hundred percent - the four pieces I found on youtube were bland in the extreme, almost oppressive. Lots of people seem to love it and buy it by the lorry load - are we missing something? To me it seemed like 5 seconds worth of material spread very thinly indeed to fill up 5 minutes. Now I need some Bach to flush the poison out of my system ...

Soubasse

Then I decided to write a long story, everyone said that was a novel idea.

Never mind long stories - short ones also have their merit. This just arrived in my inbox at work.

A college class was told that they had to write a short story in as few words as possible. Their instructions were that the short story had to contain the following three things:
1) Religion
2) Sexuality
3) Mystery
Below is the only story in the whole class to score an A+
"Good God, I'm pregnant; I wonder who did it?"

Dorsetmike

John, I just knew we were kindred spirits. In addition to Bach, do you also find frequent doses of Couperin, Purcell, Rameau and other contemporaries of theirs can also be beneficial?

marval

That's a good one Soubasse.

This is supposed to be the world's shortest horror story.

"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door..."

I am spooked already.

Margaret

jhnbrbr

You could make it even shorter by removing the redundant word "alone". No, on second thoughts he might have had his dog with him -or his wife, come to that! Mystery solved - his wife has forgotten her key.

marval

Ah thank you John for solving the mystery. I shall be able to sleep easy tonight.
Red-Sleepy.gif

By the way they have found out who is doing the crop circles, it is a cereal killer.

And today's bit of nonsence.

To be is to do – Socrates, To do is to be – Sartre, Do be do be do – Sinatra

Margaret

jhnbrbr

Having fun with sheep

There's lots of ways you can have fun with sheep - and not all of them are disgusting. There used to be a prank popular with students of turfing someone's room and putting sheep in it. Such harmless fun! And then my grandfather (yes, the same grandfather who tried to kill me with a radioactive watch (not to be confused with my great grandfather (who was himself killed by a horse))) (do you like the way I'm using nested brackets (I always liked algebra at school)?) told me how he and his friends used to amuse themselves by driving a flock of sheep through a narrow opening. One would hold a stick across the opening, so the first sheep had to jump over it. Then the stick was removed, but every other sheep would still jump over the imaginary stick, because each sheep copied the one in front. Remember they didn't have television in those days (no, not the sheep - my grandad and his chums!)

Soubasse

Are they sure it was sheep and not lemmings?

I heard somewhere that in WW2, sheep were herded across minefields to check for safety. I can think of better ways of replicating snow.

marval

Well it is no wonder you can't sleep Mike. It seems like sheep do have their uses.

SHEPHERD WISDOM

Two shepherds were leaning on their staffs at the end of a long hard day of shepherding. The first asked the second, "So, how's it going?"
The second one sighed and shook his head, "Not good, I can't pay my bills, my health isn't good, my kids don't respect me, and my wife is leaving me."

The first replies, "Well, don't lose any sheep over it."

Now a sheep warning.

always_keep_your_mountain_sheep_dry.jpg

marval

Oh groan folks.

What do you call a vegetarian who goes back to eating meat?
Someone who lost their veg-inity!