What classical music did you listen to today?

pnoom

Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians

What an amazing CD.

Also, it's not classical, but Kayo Dot have plenty of classical overtones to their music, and I listened to quite a lot of them today.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Mozart's Fantasy and Fugue in F-minor K.608 as interpreted by Vincent Dubois at the organ of St. Sulpice.

some guy

Corno,

Sorry for being so cryptic. I merely wondered if you'd seen the DVD of this piece. It's kind of distracting sometimes with the cute camera angles and such, but it's an OK performance. And everyone sings lustily whenever the camera points their way!

Otherwise, I'm sorta glad I was so cryptic: otherwise, I would never have seen that picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head. That made my day, and it's only 10:30.

Otherotherwise, I suppose I should contribute to this thread: I just listened to Prokofiev's Divertimento and to his Symphonic Song, both on a Chandos disc that also includes an orchestration of the Andante from his fourth piano sonata and the complete ballet Prodigal Son.

By the way, I did teach writing for about twenty years. But I spent a good deal of time trying to convince the dear students that they already knew grammar, intuitively, and should be snippy to people who corrected them. I don't think anyone ever believed me, though!

Corno Dolce

Hi some guy,

So, you're a Professor who teaches the proper use of the English language - God Bless you dear sir for taking on such a thankless task. Thank you for taking the time to be cryptic. I believe another Professor of English Language and Literature resides on this forum. He goes by the name of "Ouled Nails". Now, with that being said, what may I ask is your intention with your "crypto-messages"? I find them hilarious but puzzling. If you are taking friendly/unfriendly jabs at me - so be it! They will only run off my back as water runs off the back of a goose.

So, Honk-Honk!

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

some guy

what may I ask is your intention with your "crypto-messages"?

If I told you that, they wouldn't be cryptic any more, now would they?

I find them hilarious but puzzling.

Excellent!

If you are taking friendly/unfriendly jabs at me - so be it!

Never!! No jabbing allowed. (Only silent jabbing permitted.)

Oh, and I have listened to Gerald Eckert's Diaphane and Ludger Bruemmer's Delel so far today, if anyone cares (and they totally don't. I mean it!).

They're both on a Cybele disc: ex machina: tangent.

Corno Dolce

Hi some guy,

Well - carry on as you were and remain in peace. Maybe you find what I write to be cryptic? If so, its not with a deliberate intention. Oh, btw - thinking of your previous post where you informed the gentle readership of MIMF about students knowing grammar intuitively? If I may be so brazen to inquire as to what you base your assumption about intuitive knowledge of grammar? Hearing the *grammar of the 'hood* makes me wonder sometimes.

The malady of ebonics doesn't seem to support your aforementioned thesis. Or, maybe the Public Schools have capitulated in this latest *social experiment*. Thereby the *system*, as it were, condemns great swathes of youngsters to menial jobs. They are certainly not going to fare well in College, unless by some miracle, a prof at a Community College is able to knock some sense into them.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Alright everbody - Back on topic: Today I gorged myself with Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto - both aurally and pianistically.

Pacific 231

From Richard Strauss, Parergon for piano and orchestra.

I have at the time those days the big interest of orchestra works of this composer. I found the orchestration of those pieces amazing.

Corno Dolce

Till Eulenspiegels Lustige Streiche by Richard Strauss.

Hi Pacific 231,

Richard Strauss was a master orchestrator and it always amazes me all the different colors he called for in his scores. Quite often I find that many of todays conductors seem oblivious to those colors.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce