What is the most violent storm you have been in?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Yes Ms. Judy - I didn't miss out on the humours and satirical side of your post. You know what Mark Twain said about Washington D.C.?

"Washington is a stud-farm for jackasses*

greatcyber

I once took a cruise in the Caribbean and as (bad) luck would have it, the day before we departed a hurricane was approaching south Florida. We left Fort Lauderdale not knowing if we were going to be hit with the storm and our house sitter was left with the responsibility of potentially having to hire someone to put up our storm shutters. The trip had been planned for a year and we really wanted to go, so we did not cancel it. San Juan was one of the ports of call and I had always wanted to visit there. So, off we went.

As it turned out, we spent 2 days at sea trying to out maneuver the storm. The winds were so strong that people who were up by the pool for lunch were carrying their trays to tables and the plates and food were blowing all over the place. If you looked at either end of the ship all you could see would be first, the sky and then, bam, you were looking down into the bottom of a 20 foot wave. That kept up for 2 days. Soooo many people were sick and almost everyone had sea sickness patches behind their ears or wore bracelets that administered the medication. Luckily, I didn't get ill, but found it very amusing...at least until we didn't arrive in San Juan until after dark and only stayed in port 4 hours due to the race with the storm. So it was pretty much of a bust.

One day we'll have to take another cruise to Puerta Rico, only not during Hurricane Season.

Stephen

marval

Oh dear Stephen, that doesn't sound like too much fun.

It was a shame that you didn't get to see San Juan properly.

Margaret

marval

That should be interesting, I have never been there. The furthest I have been was to Kenya, many years ago. I spent three months there.

Not sure I would want to go there now.

Margaret

methodistgirl

I don't think I will forget the ice storms we had last month. They were
really bad and snow.
judy tooley
Yes that was then but what happened in the winter of january 2009
took the cake. This monster of an ice dumped ice and snow from
Oklahoma to West Virginia. The whole state of Kentucky was with
out power for weeks and the ice itself was 2 inches thick and all of
the trees broke down from the weight of all of this ice. It was
horrible and there was nothing in history like it with the thick ice.
judy tooley

marval

Wow, that looks really cold Judy. I hope you were able to keep warm, even without power. We had snow last winter, but it was nothing like that. Just a morning when the buses were not running.

Margaret

Soubasse

I'm going to follow the general flippancy of CT's posts and say that all I thought when I saw the thread title What is the most violent storm you have been? was: "Yes, I have often been a violent storm." As for the most violent storm I've been, probably the one time I actively wanted to kill someone (deliberately - it's okay I'm over it now) (I think)

Chi_townPhilly

Sr. Regulator
Sr. Regulator
Probably the single most significant anomalous weather event I've ever experienced was the infamous "blizzard-of-67" in Chicago. I remember that people, properly kitted, could walk their way up snow-drifts onto the roofs of houses.

For a 'single moment' memory, I recall a hail-storm in Pontiac, Illinois. The force of the hail hitting my car was easily sufficient to set off the car-alarm. The visible reminders of that storm are still with me, as the car still shows a few 'pock-marks' from the hail.

methodistgirl

My neck of the woods is under a winter storm watch right now. We
are expecting lots of snow. I guess I will stay home from church
again. Keep missing church the preacher will come and wonder why
I'm not coming.
judy tooley

marval

Well if the weather is too bad Judy, I don't blame you for staying home in the warm. I hope that you do not have too much snow.

Margaret