Your top rated Female Jazz Vocalists

OLDUDE

I guess nobody else wants to reveal their admiration for the D's.
How about the (christian) names beginning with letter A. Come on somebody - give me six.

Cheers John

OLDUDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmFEcgRRKR0
i need help with this.is it really virginia mayo singing. if not who is singing for her. sounds a little like anita oday. a lot of big jazz stars in this truly allstar band. gord

It might be Virgnia Mayo, but I doubt it. Very few of the voices you got in those days were actually the stated person.
By the same token they didn't tend to get name singers to duplicate a voice.
Anyway I'm a big O'day fan and I can definitely say it isnt her - This is Anita.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwZ_dLgvR0&feature=player_detailpage

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I came across this Singer yesterday, am most impressed she swings like crazy and has fantastic phrasing, her voice (husky)reminds me of Édith Piaf, what do you think of her?? Name = Isabelle Geffroy aka Zaz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ9zeDd0mpg

I think I am in Love :):)

teddy

Duckmeister
Not bad, but not that good. Are you sure it is her voice you are in love with Colin?

teddy

JHC

Don't you like small group jazz teddy? I must admit I prefer small group to big band, anyway I think she has a very distinctive voice and would like to see I mean hear more of her, how many singers can do jazz to day?? not a lot

JHC

Gord, nobody can really beat Ella, I once read that she could be half way through a number in the studio then walk out of the studio, out of the building and walk around the block, back into the studio without missing a beat. I find this hard to believe but who knows? What I like about Zaz was the husky voice, her vibrato seemed so natural she swings more than any other singer that I have heard for yonks and of course her phrasing, also this type of music played on the street is in IMHO Jazz and not just busking and such a French sound, I am smitten

Peppypat

I've never joined a forum before, but I signed up here just to say that you left out a female jazz singer whose name begins with j who could be included. It begs the question of how large the body of work must be. Jean Carn sang with Doug Carn in early 70s, and she has a tremendous voice. Unfortunately for those of us who loved her work, she went very commercial, and it was never as mind-blowing. Even though more mainstream, Valentine Love is a great vehicle for her voice--sung with Michael Henderson.

My question is, can one make the list without a huge body of work to back it up? If so, add Jean Carn to your j list.

JHC

I listened to 3 clips and I am sorry to say she is not for me, I would like to hear her performing a Jazz standard with a jazz trio or small jazz combo

teddy

Duckmeister
Hello peppypat and welcome to the forum. Had a quick listen to Jean Carn and will hunt out some more. In answer to your question, yes, its quality rather than quantity that counts in my opinion. Of course if there are only one or two pieces available they would have to be of very good quality to prove themselves.

teddy

Peppypat

Jean Carn-- you have to listen to the jazz tunes

I don't blame you for not liking Jean Carn based on what's on YouTube. That stuff is not interesting, except for one, Skin Diver, on Norman Conners' album. No, the good stuff is on iTunes, listed under Doug Carn--all those albums with b&w covers. He set words to some tunes by the greats, and she sang them. Well, listen to the good stuff, not the disco and mediocre work that came later. She still has the goods, if she had the right vehicle to sing them.

JHC

Well, listen to the good stuff, not the disco and mediocre work that came later. She still has the goods, if she had the right vehicle to sing them.
How about giving a link to what you consider her good stuff ? that would be the best solution for us.