What is your favorite candy?

rojo

(Ret)

saltwater taffy sounds positively disgusting, but then again I ate "Cat's Tongues" once (Dutch) and thought they were pretty awful.
Now, most of those do not sound like candy to me. I've had saltwater taffy, which is candy, and I liked that. Although nowhere near as much as chocolate. Never had vegemite, although I've heard of it. Does not sound terribly appealing. Is it really that good? Some folks rave about it, I believe.

Never heard of 'cat's tongues'. Have had 'pattes d'ours', or Bear Claws. Sort of a cookie...

I actually got my wish for chocolate over the holidays; my sister gave me some exquisite chocolates, and then there was an after-Xmas clearance sale at a store nearby, and I got some excellent chocolate (Laura Secord, etc.) for 'peanuts'.... :D

Muza

I dont really like candy or anything sweet... I do however like mostly all kinds of foods, especially spicy foods - thai, chinese, indian, mexican...hmm. I like whatever has a lot of vegetables.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR

. . . Never had vegemite, although I've heard of it. Does not sound terribly appealing. Is it really that good? Some folks rave about it, I believe.

I had to look "vegemite" up ...
"Vegemite is made from leftover brewers yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacture ... The taste is similar to beef bouillon, slightly bitter and salty. The texture is much like peanut butter (without the peanuts)"

Guess this 'yank' would pass on the opportunity to spread beef bouillon on my toast ... :crazy: ... I can think of several better alternatives ... :rolleyes: ... However, in respect to those who are accustomed to this 'delecacy' in their native country, for them it must be great stuff. :D

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
LOL @ Krummiest ... Vegemite is an Australian spread that you need to have been brought up on otherwise you'll hate it. AND I was being silly as it's not "candy". Now, "candy" is only used in Australia as a term that precedes peel, and in the past tense. We say (silly I know) "lollies" to mean what you yanks mean when you say "candy" so...strictly speaking, my favourite "candy" is the one I'm eating at the time as I'm easily pleased and not particuarly fussy...but when push comes to shove (and I'm raving on because I've had to glasses of "la grappa") "Mars Bars" come pretty close to the top of the list.

NEB

Years back I hooked up with some Aussie students who were travelling the same way as me through southern Europe, and they all had their pots of Vegemite with them - Personally I hate the stuff, but they love!

marval

I like it too (Vegemite), only here in the good old Uk we call it Marmite. We also have a snack called Twiglets, Marmite flavoured crispy sticks. Apparently the makers of Marmite have bought out a new range, with champagne in it. Especially for Valentines day. I dont eat a lot of candy/sweets, but have got two boxes of chocolates that keep looking at me, so maybe I could be tempted.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Marmite and Vegemite are totally different in taste, they only thing they share in common is the gooey, ghastly, stickiness.

Muza

I've got to admit, no offense people but marmite and vegemite sound like some kind of bugs, like termites and dustmites....hmm,yummm ;)

Muza

Neb, was that you refering to 1. marmite and vegemite or 2. termite and dustmite ??? :crazy: :ut::nut:

Muza

hahaha, hilarious.... this thread is really making my day so far, lols (so you can see how pathetic my days at work are :) )

methodistgirl

Hey guys! Valentine's day is just around the corner! Those of us who like
chocolate will have a field day or a party. So a box of chocolates to those
who like chocolate from me verbaly.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hey guys! Valentine's day is just around the corner! Those of us who like chocolate will have a field day or a party. So a box of chocolates to those who like chocolate from me verbaly.
judy tooley

Gosh ... chocolate ... I love it, but it hates me, or rather my biological system. I can only have the dark chocolate, and then in very limited quantities ... that the wonderful blessings of being diabetic :rolleyes: :cry: :smirk: :crazy:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Krummhorn,

Do you like Italian dark chocolate, or Spanish, or French, or Belgian, or Swiss, or...what?

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Strong liquorice mixed with chocolate and hazelnuts icluding 10 napkins.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Krummhorn,
Do you like Italian dark chocolate, or Spanish, or French, or Belgian, or Swiss, or...what? Cheers, Corno Dolce

Hi Corno Dolce,

Just the plain everyday ordinary national brand of dark chocolate - since I can only have one square a day there isn't much point in getting extravagant with the 'taste' concepts of the different kinds, at least for me.

Strong liquorice mixed with chocolate and hazelnuts icluding 10 napkins. Best regards, intet-at-tabe

Now, that sounds messy since you mention needing napkins ... lol

Last edited: