What is your favorite candy?

marval

Does anybody remember Sherbet fountains? paper tubes filled with sherbet and a liquorice straw. You were supposed to be able to get the sherbet through the straw, but I never seemed to get a hollow straw. Usually ended up dipping the liquorice in the sherbet and getting it that way. My father use to like coconut Ice, pink and white colours, very sweet (tooth rotter). My mother used to like Toblerone, dad would always buy one for her. I don't buy sweets now, I only eat them if I am given them.

Margaret

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I just made fresh Baklava using Macadamia Nuts and I introduced a shotglass of Amaretto di Saronno into the Baklava filling - what a taste sensation that became. :)

Muza

Wow, Corno Dolce, that sounds tasty! My specialty are home made cream puffs. lots of effort, but everybody loves them!

Corno Dolce

Hi Muza,

It is alot of work preparing really fine baklava - I like to use very thin Phyllo Dough sheets. The commercially sold baklava is alright, nothing in particularly great about it. Next time I'll use Frangelico(Almond Liqueur) instead of Amaretto di Saronno.

Cheers,

CD

Corno Dolce

Hello Muza,

After breakfast this morning I started making a New Zealand Lamb Souvlaki and a Feta Cheese Salad. Then I'll prepare Gyros and a batch of Baklava with Frangelico for a little Greek Festival this evening at my place with some friends.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Back on Topic: Caramel coated apples and a chocolate fondue in which to dip strawberries, cherries, pineapple, apple, bananas, peaches, pears and lychee fruit.

Corno Dolce

Dear Muza,

Make it a Greek lunch - be careful with the Retsina and Ouzu though.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Muza

ahhh, now thats my type of drink... I really woudnt say no to it right now - one of those days :(:(:(

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
The Danish national summer dessert - Strawberries in a deep plate with cold milk and sugar. Yummiiii :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Y'all are making my silver fillings zing with all this sweet stuff ... :rolleyes: :crazy:
Whoever said this forum was non-filling was sadly mistaken ... hooboy ... feel like I've gained another 10 pounds here since the holidays :nut: :lol:.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
intet-at-tabe - is the roedgroed med flyde? (don't have my Danish dictionary with me and can't do those lovely backslashed Os on a PC, or at least not easily - unlike on my Mac at home).

C5Says

Now that I saw this thread I remembed that I bought a pack of green tea candy...
*opening and sharing to all of you* :)

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
intet-at-tabe - is the roedgroed med flyde? (don't have my Danish dictionary with me and can't do those lovely backslashed Os on a PC, or at least not easily - unlike on my Mac at home).

Contratrombone64

Please alowe your humble danish friend to help you out here :grin::grin::grin::grin: I had to read your post three times.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"....is the roedgroed med flyde?", Almost correct my friend with a few discrepencies. It´s actually "er rødgrød med fløde", which is a dessert. " rød " is the colour red and "grød" equals porridge or stewed fruit. But then again these funny letters " æ " - " ø " and " å ", which are unknown to the rest of the world, but came in very handy as a language in secret code, when the Danish vikings discovered north America and Canada 500 years ahead of Christopher Columbus, not bragging about this of course.

The danes can be rather mean or even sarcastic towards foreignors, and this sentence "is roedgroed med flyde" equlas in Danish "er rødgrød med fløde" always are asked to foreignors, sort of telling them, or rather laughing at them, impossible for any foreignors to pronounce, since they think the trick with the hot potatoes is a joke? Which it incidently is, which make the danes so easy to understand and comprehend, right?

However Contratrombone64, knowing you are way ahead, because "roedgroed" (rødgrød) is spelled right, when writing on the internet. A+ for you sir/mam? Contratrombone64 :cool::cool:

Last edited:

Muza

hmm, green tea candy? what is that like?
The sushi place that we usually go to for lunch has the most amazing green tea icecream... oh soo good ;) yum

NEB

On a more serious note though, the trouble with all these wonderful sweet treats is that they're really not that good dor you. Too much fat, too much sugar and so forth. Just pile on those pounds and let diabetes and heart disease do the rest.

If you think about it, we're not evolved yet to be able to manage all these processed /refined sugars. We're really only a few thousand years into managing with the kinds of intensely farmed grains and processed derivatives like flour.

IN evolutionary terms how long does it take for a body to completely adapt?

And then there is all the advancement of the late 20th century which means we do less and less exercise in general than we have ever done before. We weren't designed to eat say 4000 calories per day and in the process lead a sedentary life that burns maybe 1500-2000 (assuming a moderate level of physical activity).

Makes for a few interesting thoughts about our current life-styles in the west doesn't it?

Muza

Yes, I was just gonna say that - I would not say its as much of an evolutionary inability to process these foods, as much as the advancement of 20th century. In Russia, I had to walk 30 an hour to the bus stop, then from the bus stop 30 minutes to school. And then in school, after school we would run around, play games that involved being out in the street, chaising each other, playing ball, whatever...
Then I would come home, and go out to play again.

In here, I walk 1 minute to the busstop, which brings me to the train, which brings me directly to work. after I go home and watch tv. There is no movement at work, and no movement prior or after, unless one specifically goes to work out.

And thats how it is for most people now - cars, games that involve staring at the monitor screen rather than running around outside - things like that. I think that is really what makes it so dangerous.