8 ohm bass amp 4 ohm speaker

norwichstud

Hi,

I have an 8 ohm Hartke bass amp and a ohm Ampeg speaker. The Hartke can run as a 200W amp at 8ohms with one speaker in and 350W at 4 ohms with two speakers plugged in. Now my problem is that I only have the one speaker which is 300W & 4 ohms, can I get round the possibility of frying my amp by having a lead with two jacks on one end and a single jack on the other end and plug the two jacks into the amp thus fooling the amp into thinking that there are two speakers plugged in and it would ramp the amps power output to 350W at 4ohms which would be an acceptable level for driving a speaker that will want to draw more juice that the amp would have to offer a single speaker???

Long winded I know but does that make sense to anyone or am I just rambling utter crap???

Kev
:confused:

teddy

Duckmeister
Why not just put a 4 ohmn resisitor in line with the speaker, therby producing 8 ohms.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
True Mike, but it would save on heating bills. Personally I can not see any easy way round this. If he plugs both channels into one speaker this will give him 2 ohms and certainly blow the output resistors. With one, and output down to 200 watts, fully driven, its is more likely to be workable. Is it not? I will bow to you superior knowledge on this as it is a long time since I buggered about in this department.

teddy